Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Release Victory Black Forest Cake Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by RobHB, Sep 19, 2017.

1. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (131) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

I was browsing through the fine beer blog MyBeerBuzz when I came across this beer, the label of which was posted back in June.

[​IMG]

I am a big fan of Victory Brewing's output, and think most these Blackboard beers are quite good, especially the Berliner Weisse from last year and the Peach Belgian Blonde from the summer. This one? Damn does the name alone make me want to make the hour and a half drive to Downington from my house right now.

I'm not sure when this one will hit shelves, but I'm guessing in the next month or two? Glad to see this will be in bottles, too since a couple of the Blackboard beers have been draft only.

(I didn't see this one mentioned elsewhere, or at least a topic for it after a title search of "Victory" so apologies for potential duplicates).

Redrover and StoutElk_92 like this.
  2. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (271) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

We get a lot of Victory beers here but not all of them. Dont remember seeing the Peach Belgian Blonde for example. I got the Cherry Gose not long ago and enjoyed it.

3. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (156) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sounds fantastic.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,532) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Might have to pick one up on an out-of-state beer run...

5. RobHB

Looks like this will be in shelves in a couple/few weeks. Victory tweeted and instagrammed about it.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,572) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I've seen it on the shelves in PA already. I'm not a big fan of the cherry/chocolate combination, so I'll be passing on this one.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to another batch of Java Cask.

7. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (234) Dec 14, 2016 California

If its anything like the Bruery Geburtstagskranz, youre in for a treat[​IMG]

RobHB likes this.
  8. tzieser

tzieser Champion (856) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Was it in four packs?

9. jmdrpi

Subscriber

DonObiWan, drtth and tzieser like this.
  10. jmdrpi

Subscriber

This settles it

11. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,342) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I was completely on board until "With Cherry", but I'll still try it if I see it.

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (646) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sound good but the blackboard stuff is a bit pricey. $15 for most I have seen

Hope to find a $10-12 six pack

Enjoy

13. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (502) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Looks good to me... I plan to pick up some to try, maybe 1-2 singles at first at some shops nearby when it hits. I have hope it will be tasty.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  14. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (244) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

A little surprised they decided to call it "Black Forrest cake stout 'with cherries'" when black Forrest implies cheries when you're referring to pastries. Guess they feel the need to be specific it they think the beer community is not in the know.

15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,225) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Probably because it fits the naming pattern for their Black Board Series beers.

http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  16. jmdrpi

Subscriber

As @drtth said, all of the blackboard beers are named "XXX with YYY".

But note that it's not "with Cherries", but "with Cherry". The label indicates "Ale with Cherry Juice Added", not the actual fruit.

FonyBones and Beer_Economicus like this.
  17. Jlabs

Jlabs Crusader (707) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

heading to one of the Victory brewpubs in a few weeks..hope to see this on tap

18. RobHB

Stopped in my local Wegman's (Bridgewater) and picked up a six-pack of this for just $10.99. There are other bottle shops in my area, but for whatever reason Wegman's seems to more stock more Victory beer than those other shops.

I may not have this until next week, but I'm looking forward to it.

19. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,532) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Love me some cherry stouts, will have to try it.

20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,062) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Will be on the hunt for these, thanks for info....

RobHB likes this.
  21. RobHB

I finally had the chance to try the beer and I liked it. It was a little more on the bittersweet side than expected, but still a very tasty beer. I've got to learn to be patient with stouts and let them warm a little bit. This one got better as it sat in my glass. I think the following day the second tasted better largely because I had a better idea of what to expect in the flavor profile.

I've seen this compared to Storm King (maybe even in this thread?) and I can get that comparison. I find Storm King to be far too bitter for my palate so to have that bitterness "softened" works well.

A solid beer, a nice one for dessert.

drtth likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.