Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Victory Java Cask - 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Hooray for the move to 12 oz bottles

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Count me in for a couple of these, love everything I hear.
    Cheers.

tylerstubs, DISKORD and Realsambo like this.
  3. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (234) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Man, this is a great BA Coffee Stout. 12 oz. bottles = the bee's knees. Consider me giddy...

4. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (159) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I've loved this beer since the day I saw it. 12oz bottles is super exciting, not that Idaho will see any. To those that get some, cheers!

HoppingMadMonk and DISKORD like this.
  5. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Not only 12 oz, but 4-packs! That's awesome!

6. waltari

waltari Initiate (114) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Serious? they couldn't keep it just below 14%? that means no go for state of GA

7. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (205) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Exciting to see this in 4 packs.

I have not had it yet. I am interested to see how much Bourbon flavor there is. Although I initially bought a Bomber of it, I sent it away, and have not purchased it since. Hopefully it will be easy to grab one, try it, then go back for a 4 pack if it is good.

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (126) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

They must have known you were a Bulldog fan.

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Dang. I'd be interested in trying this again, especially in the smaller format. Let's see what can be worked out.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  10. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Nice! The price tag on previous Java Cask bombers was a little too high for me to justify, so I never bought it, but a 4-pack is much easier to justify.

Relatedly.... Does anyone know what retail price range we should expect for this?

11. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Maybe, we'll see what the price is.

I've seen DFH Oak Vanilla WWS selling for $40+ a 4-pack. If it's that high, I'd rather the $14? that I paid previously for a 750ml bottle of Java Cask.

Harrison8 and ESHBG like this.
  12. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

That would certainly be a gross price point.

I was sure hoping the 4 pack idea would force it into the $5/bottle price. $7/bottle is probably my top End on this.

13. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Yeah I don't think it would be that high, but the WWS was just an example where the 4-pack ends up forcing the price too high.

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Every time I saw Java Cask 750ml it was around $25, but I wasn't actively searching and probably happened to see it in the wrong places. A 4-pack in the $20-$30 range would be fine by me.

15. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (742) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Victory is usually pretty reasonable with the one exception being java cask, it was about $20/750ml here last year. I'd guess $25-$30 per 4 pack at which I think will be a good value on par with kbs prices around here.

16. hillind

hillind Aspirant (266) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Very interested in the price, I think I got my 750s for $15.99 @ Wegmans last year

17. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Maybe they jacked it up last year, because I don't think I paid anything near that for the bottle of 2015 batch I had. Because I wouldn't.

well people recently said that White Monkey bottles were being priced around $20, which seems crazy to me.

18. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (159) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

It's open beer season.

19. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Several of their bombers have been expensive for what they are. Personally.

20. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

It was $15-16 for around here.

21. jmdrpi

Subscriber

To clarify - I meant it was crazy that White Monkey was priced at $20. Not that people were complaining.

Although of all of Victory's beers, Golden Monkey probably ranks dead last for me - which I know I'm in minority since it's their best selling beer supposedly.

22. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (998) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Smart move going to 4 packs. There is still plenty of Java cask 2016 bombers on the shelf for ~$20. Guess they want to find that sweet spot for pricing where it will sell.

HorseheadsHophead and VABA like this.
  23. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (492) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Love Java Cask, wayyyyy under the radar which is good. The Rye variant was incredible as well last year! Probably my favorite BBA Coffee Stout.

24. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Yes! Beautiful BBA stout, one of the few I've had that rivals BCBS. And I love that it will be in 12 oz bottles. No beer over 12% should come in a bomber, imo.

oso, cdawg and Beer_Economicus like this.
  25. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Aspirant (277) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

Wednesday, 11/8, Java Cask at 14.3% abv was on tap at the D'town brewpub. A 4-pk of 12-oz bottles were selling for $30. It's a might tasty brew. Another variant of Java Cask and a sour will be released on Dark Wednesday, 11/22.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.