Release Victory Java Cask Gold

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Nov 1, 2018.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,172) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I have been a big fan of Java Cask in the past years , but I dunno about the sound of this one - a BBA Blonde Coffee Stout? No word if they will also be releasing the "regular" version as well.

Also a change to 500ml bottles (first Java Cask was750ml, then 12 oz, now this seems to be a copy of the current BCBS size)

2. rypkr

rypkr Champion (825) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I hate 500ml bottles.

MistaRyte, fehrminator and drtth like this.
  3. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (359) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I don't prefer blonde coffee beers, mainly because I can't wrap my head around them. I've only had one, but the color just messes with me. I just want coffee to look like coffee. I expected to taste IPA and get coffee through the entire glass. Visual should match flavor in my opinion. Maybe I should just drink them from the bottle so the color doesn't ruin it for me...

GOBLIN likes this.
  4. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,588) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I can get on board with the 500ml bottle, that $28 sticker pop at the cash register almost gave me a heart attack when I picked up the 4 pack of Java Cask last year. A Single bottle in the $7 price range I could deal with. If I wanted 4 then I could pony up.

hillind and ilikebeer03 like this.
  5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,686) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Mixed feelings, as I have only had one light-colored coffee beer I really enjoyed, and never found a favorable golden stout. Perhaps this is the one to change my opinion on golden stouts and light-colored coffee beer, but I'm not sure its worth the trade gamble.

I'm eager to read some reviews on this one.

6. elohim

elohim Initiate (189) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I didn't even know that "blonde stouts" were a thing until a couple weeks ago and I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,292) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I've had more than a few blonde stouts, and I've enjoyed them all, but I think I can honestly say that I prefer standard stouts. However, that won't deter me from trying more, and this one from Victory is also Bourbon barrel aged. What will deter me is if the price is too high. And I understand that they've put a lot of time and money into it, and it does have a certain value, but I just can't bring myself to buy some of these more expensive beers.

8. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

Don't even try! Just a marketing gimmick. They're also called Golden and White Stouts. Same gimmick, three different names.

9. Jlabs

Jlabs Champion (895) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

sounds interesting..I'd pick up a bottle or two if I see it

10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (836) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Blonde stouts are SO 2015, man.

DISKORD likes this.
  11. DISKORD

What's next? Kettle Soured Lambics? Non-Wild Wild Ales? Non-Fruited Fruit beers? Good tasting Pumpkin beers?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

That'll never happen.

waltari and DISKORD like this.
  13. DISKORD

There was one (Pump[KY]n) by Avery, but they decided to retire it. I guess Rumpkin sells better.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

:nauseated_face: x 2

DISKORD likes this.
  15. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (655) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Pass.......Victory was my favorite brewery.....since they sold themselves it’s just not a brewery I like. Prima is still prima, hop devil seems a bit sweeter but still good.

The new beers are so hit or miss and with the $ they want for them it’s not worth it.

This new beer feels like a $13-15 bottle. Poor size and price point.

$13-16 for new six packs

I just can’t get in with the new Victory when there is so much other good stuff for less.

Can someone explain how a stout is still a stout if it’s not a dark beer? Just wondering about the definition of stout here.

If they really made this beer for trading why is it not in a 16oz can. Please stop the bullshit.

Enjoy

DISKORD likes this.
  16. DISKORD

You'll probably have some UK folks chime in. And they'll say that Stout doesn't mean "dark". Just means that it's strong. I strongly disagree with that. If it's not black, it's not a Stout.

17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Yeah . . . the 19th century definition of stout is not the modern definition. Stouts are dark and roasty not blonde and coffee-tasting.

DISKORD likes this.
  18. tzieser

tzieser Savant (978) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I love pale coffee beers; the darker ones are a dime a dozen. This interests me.

EDIT: I hate the whole pale/gold/blonde stout gimmick though, so this will be a soft pass for me.

19. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,634) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

"That can't possibly be a swan, all swans are white." (Anonymous Philosopher among the first wave of settlers in Australia) :wink:

20. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (655) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

In a blind test will a white stout have the same body and taste as a dark stout? Just wondering if this is a true thing or just marketing a lighter beer.

Enjoy

21. drtth

Good question. Don't know since I haven't tried a white or golden stout yet. But I'd suspect some sort of difference in flavor given that dark stouts typically get some of their flavor from dark roasted malt. As for body there's so much difference in body from one kind of stout to another (e.g., Dry Stout vs. RIS, etc.) that it probably matches some style of stout or another.

22. DISKORD

No!

23. donspublic

Premium Trader

I have had one "White" Stout from a brewery up in Dallas, and it was the shit. They pretty much forgo the roasted malt, instead giving you the roasted coffee to replace it. As far as viscosity, yes it would match that of any dark stout. I think you can also play with Cocoa nibs and get a little chocolate without too much color. The beer I had, had also been dosed with vanilla

#23 donspublic, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    drtth likes this.
  24. seth27

seth27 Initiate (80) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

The thing I don't get about blonde stouts is that if you make a beer that tastes/feels just like a stout but is just a different color...why not just make it a normal stout? It's the same thing I don't get about Black IPAs just in reverse.

25. donspublic

Premium Trader

Replying to my own thread, what a flipping loser. This beer popped up today on untappd at one of my local bars, but it was barrel aged. I had to see how it turned out as the original, after 2 years, is still imprinted in my memory (that is good for an old man). I was really disappointed in it. I think one of the things that these white/golden stouts walk the line on is balance, what you can put in there to get you back to a semblance of what you are trying to replicate. I think it is somewhat more delicate to do vs. just going the regular stout route. The bourbon totally washed out this beer, it pretty much reminded me of DKML, which I totally enjoyed, as it was pretty much a HG beer delivering a dose of bourbon. But none of the elements that made the original taste like a stout were still there, coffee was almost non existent and the vanilla aspect was pretty much hammered by the bourbon. I think they left this beer in the barrel for 4 months, and that might have been too long. I guess my point is I believe a regular stout will probably fare better than a pale one to barrel aging.

26. drtth

You got to try some before the brewery has even done their in-house first release?

27. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Wasn't just the 19th century United Kingdom:
    [​IMG]

jmdrpi, EvenMoreJesus and drtth like this.
  28. Donco

Donco Devotee (434) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Regular Java Cask is already in the distro pipeline...yes!
    As for the blonde version, if it tastes good, just close your eyes and drink:wink:

29. AMessenger

AMessenger Initiate (27) Mar 17, 2018 Pennsylvania

Is that really just one 500 ml for $28?

30. drtth

That was for the 4 pack of 12 oz bottles.

#30 drtth, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  31. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,172) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I agree with you on the gold stout point.

But disagree on the Black IPA - most of them definitely have a mild roast component from the dark malt. De-husked black malt (ie. Weyermann Carafa Special) may not contribute as much flavor as regular black malt, but there is still some. The better examples like Stone SSR and FW Wookey Jack did not just taste like "regular" IPAs if you closed your eyes.

32. donspublic

Premium Trader

@drtth sorry for the confusion, this was in regards to the other white/golden stout I had before, I tried a version of it yesterday that was Barrel Aged. I have not had Victory Java Cask Gold, just another white/golden stout

drtth likes this.