Victory Java Latte

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Oct 25, 2019.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,368) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

2. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (988) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Java Cask is delicious.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,645) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Would love to do a side-by-side with Toppling Goliath's Mornin' Latte.

4. jmdrpi

Society

I agree, we'll see how this "smaller" version is. Hopefully it's not too sweet.

GOBLIN likes this.
  5. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (240) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I also posted about this beer a few weeks ago when it hit my radar and it looks delicious! Outside of that awful sour Juice Boost these one-offs have been a hit with me and I am really looking forward to this one too.

Peach63 likes this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,816) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Nice,
    I literally was just at my local store and almost grabbed Java Cask lol and now saw this. I wish I checked date on box/bottles I am not sure if it was fresh or older.
    If this one pops I am going to snag for sure.

Cheers

7. jmdrpi

Society

The Java Cask must be from last year. But I think that beer is good with a year of age on it.

8. adrock314

adrock314 Crusader (722) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

ahhh I quite liked Juice Boost. It wasn’t especially “hoppy” or “sour” but I thought it was really nice as a lawnmower type of beer. To each their own I guess

9. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (552) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Just finished a 2015 Java Cask, two years beyond its BB date, and it was superb.

dagimp, jmdrpi and chrismattlin like this.
  10. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (228) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Would definitely love to try this. The Java Cask Gold that they came out with was different and maybe a bit too boozy, but I really enjoyed it

11. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,724) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Interested to see how this will be in cans, I remember it being good on nitro last year but found Java Cask and Java Cask Maple better. Hopefully they do Dark Wednesday again with another variant this year.

jmdrpi likes this.
  12. ESHBG

Yeah I like sours, like hops, but together it just did not sit well with me at all. I bought only a single and was glad that was all that I had purchased.

13. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,149) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I miss Victory distro here damnit... as Tom Kiefer so eloquently put it, "Dont know what ya got...til it's gone... "

tzieser and waltari like this.
  14. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (99) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Had Java Cask a few years ago at the brewery and loved it. Can't wait for this one. The one offs have been pretty good, I really liked Liberty Bell Ringer. I also liked the Blackboard Series, too.

15. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,727) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I got a pack today and I am disappointed. I found it to be thin and lackluster for a stout. $11.50 makes it worth the gamble at least, you might like it better.

ESHBG likes this.
  16. dangle47

dangle47 Initiate (100) May 16, 2007 New York

Always wanted to try this one, the cost always made me go in another direction. Maybe I’ll pony up for this one.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  17. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (988) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Same - I had a pour at a bar when it first came out. That was a much more palatable cost than the ~$37/4pack

18. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (255) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Keep in mind that Java Cask is a huge Imperial Stout, at 14.3%. This Java Latte is a more “moderate” 8.2%.

jmdrpi, BeastOfTheNortheast and ESHBG like this.
  19. ESHBG

My thoughts also, more here New Beer Sunday (Week 768)

It is getting tastier as it warms but yeah was definitely expecting a little more.

20. jmdrpi

Society

I only picked up a single can due to the mixed reviews. But I drank it last night and wished I had gotten a 4 pack. I really liked it, I drank it slow and as it warmed I thought the coffee aroma and flavor was excellent. I wasn't expecting it to be as big and bold as Java Cask, I thought it was very good for what it set out to be, to be a beer version of a creamy sweet espresso based coffee drink.

tzieser likes this.
  21. ESHBG

Unfortunately my impressions were the opposite after finishing my four pack and I would have been fine with a single. For a bigger Stout I found it to be pretty thin and not much stood out flavor-wise.

DIM likes this.
  22. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,727) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Having my second now and I agree with your thoughts. I would add that I found a lingering artificial sweetener at the end that I didn't like. I'll probably try to find a home for the last two.

ESHBG likes this.
  23. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (99) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Grabbed a four pack this week and popped open the first can last night. I really liked it, I like the flavor balance, but I do agree with some of the comments above - the body of it is a little thin. But for me that's a minor quibble on the beer itself.

untappd has this listed as a Stout - Coffee, but for me if we are splitting hairs, I'd slot this as a Milk Stout.