Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Victory's New Year Round Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jun 10, 2017.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Teaser announced, I am excited to see what it is and to try it...nice to see all of this Lager love in the industry as of late:

100% American whole flower hops loaded into...a lager? Yuuup! You read that right. Our next year-round release will be a lager without limits. This beer will satisfy hop heads and lager lovers alike.

Join us for the lager revolution and stay tuned for big things coming this July...And you might as well drink a beer now, too. It's Friday!

https://www.facebook.com/victorybeer/

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Looks like it's this:

[​IMG]

3. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

It's listed on BeerAdvocate as an AAL, but this sounds like a so-called IPL.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Since it is 4.8% ABV I would suggest the style of American Pale Lager.

Cheers!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  5. zid

Beer Trader

That's essentially the default listing for IPLs.

HorseheadsHophead and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

My question about that entry would be how does a guy who gives his home state as Minnesota know enough about a planned Victory lager that has not yet been released to create an accurate entry 3 months ago?

#6 drtth, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    dripa8, tzieser, rypkr and 1 other person like this.
  7. ESHBG

I wonder if they plan on eventually dropping the Helles from the year round lineup? These sound like two different animals of course but I wonder if Helles, Prima Pils and this could be justified? They could for me but I know that my tastes may not represent the majority of craft beer drinkers. Also, when you compare Victory Helles to some of the other local options e.g. Sly Fox's, I think that Victory's falls just a bit short.

8. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (528) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Victory does a great job with lagers. I'm sure this one will be solid.

I'd be disappointed if the Helles Lager will be retired in favor of this new offering. Been a fan of that beer for many years, even in its prior incarnation as Victory Lager.

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

"Juicy, Resinous Aromas". Boo to another use of this nebulous, over-used "juicy" term.

Without saying what kind of fruit, the term is meaningless. For example, cranberry juice smells nothing like apple juice. They probably mean some type of citrus fruit- so say it!

tzieser and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  10. jmdrpi

Subscriber

This sounds quite different as it uses American hops instead of German varieties, and aimed more at the "IPA drinker". So it maybe it doesn't cannibalize sales from their German-style lagers?

ESHBG, LuskusDelph and drtth like this.
  11. needs_more_dog

needs_more_dog Initiate (128) Sep 13, 2016 Arizona

i'm hoping it leans more toward a pils than it does an IPL. the latter just seem too 'Imperial' for me. I thought SN's Hoppy Lager from the party pack had some serious candy and honey going on; too sweet for me. but this year's Summerfest is kicking all sorts of ass on my tastebuds. delicious

premierpro likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Needless to say I have not tried this new Victory Beer but I have a suspicion that this beer is intended to compete with Founders PC Pils.

Cheers!

13. ESHBG

My thoughts as well. I enjoy PC Pils so if it's close to that I will be happy.

14. hillind

hillind Aspirant (266) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Hope this sees cans

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

That is the can "label" in post #2.

Bottle label looks similar to this:
    [​IMG]

hillind likes this.
  16. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,192) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I wish NM got Victory's beers.

Need to revisit Prima Pils and the Helles, the latter of which I only tried once and was unimpressed with but want to give another shot to since developing a much greater love for lagers.

17. jmdrpi

Subscriber

On FB they stated the hops used are Centennial, Mosaic, Azacca, Cascade, Chinook, and Citra

18. JackHorzempa

Supporter

A bit more varied as compared to Founders PC Pils which uses Chinook, Cascade and Centennial.

Maybe Founders should have labeled this beer as 3C Pils?

Cheers!

19. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm predicting this will taste somewhat like a cross between Summer Love and Helles Lager. Whatever the case, I'm excited. Victory makes excellent lagers.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  20. Starkbier

Starkbier Initiate (165) Sep 19, 2002 Maryland

No it wont be like a cross of SL and Helles since the former uses Tettnang hops and the latter is a low hopped beer. This will be more of an American sessionable hoppy lager.

HorseheadsHophead, jesskidden and zid like this.
  21. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (392) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Will this see their full distribution or is this only...."Set to release locally in PA, NJ, DE and at the Winking Lizard Taverns in OH next month."

22. tzieser

tzieser Champion (841) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Sounds a bit like Stillwater Yacht or Carton Sit Down Son, which is a great thing.

beernuts likes this.
  23. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (492) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I can't wait to try this! We will be at Parkesburg this Saturday for the tapping and $3 pints... Looking forward to crushing a few of these.

ESHBG likes this.
  24. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (492) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

So I had a few of these the other day, really enjoy it! Very bright hop aroma on the nose, crisp flavor and finish. Very solid beer. I prefer it over PC Pils myself.

25. ESHBG

I agree, really enjoy it and it will be in the regular rotation for sure. I saw on FB that people were asking for cans and that would be a great idea, solid beach/pool beer.

invertalon and hillind like this.
  26. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (130) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

I had a few of these over the last couple of months and enjoy it quite a bit. Upthread a few folks mentioned this as an IPL and I definitely get more hop presence in the beer than I'd typically expect from a lager. There's more of a citrus profile in this compared to Founders PC Pils which gives me more of a slight roast.

27. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Despite the specifics of the favor profile would you consider Founders PC Pils and Victory Home Grown Lager to be the same 'type' of beer?

Cheers!

28. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (130) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Well, almost. Both are technically lagers, but I think the roast I get from PC Pils moves it a step away from Home Grown.

29. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (447) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Had one of these from the tap a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  30. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York

So, after having had it, I'd describe it as being like Prima Pils crossed with DirtWolf. The hop flavor is big citrus, pineapple, with earth and pine like DirtWolf, but as a crisp lager.

31. zid

Beer Trader

I tried Home Grown, and it doesn't fit my earlier comment about IPL as much as it fits the mold of the nouveau American craft "pilsner"... and it's actually more enjoyable in that regard than the last few nouveau pilsners I had. Maybe I'll start to call these beers NAPs (nouveau American pilsner) as a play on CAPs (classic). It's a lousy name, but hard to resist.

32. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I can't wait to read which beers medal in the NAP category at the next GABF!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

zid likes this.
  33. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Nouveau Pilsner has cache like Nouveau Beaujolais.

VABA, TongoRad and zid like this.
  34. zid

Beer Trader

Nouveau sounds nice... sounds more like a thing, but "new" would have been a better choice on my end when you consider etymology and the thing being described. :wink: :slight_smile:

35. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

So, I had a few NAPS and then went to sleep. I like that name.

Squire123 and zid like this.
  36. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Any reason these are made as lagers and not as ales so they could call it an IPA? We know those sell. Or would it have to then be a session IPA at 4.8% - which is dead in the water for a lot of us.

37. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,953) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

How does Nouveau Riche fit? It's what I was thinking when I first started using the Nouveau Pilsner term.:
    noun
    noun: nouveau riche
    . people who have recently acquired wealth, typically those perceived as ostentatious or lacking in good taste.

And yeah, I was using it more sarcastically than as a true adjective as the French do with the
    Beaujolais. :wink:

Squire123 and zid like this.
  38. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,953) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Gimmicked innovation. It's just like an IPA, but different! :rolling_eyes:

ESHBG likes this.
  39. zid

Beer Trader

:astonished: I just searched your use of the term... you're telling the truth. Either your previous posts left a subliminal mark on me, or too many Clampett cartoons equally messed our brains. :wink:

steveh likes this.
  40. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

That's how it seems to me - they should just stop acting like they are inventing something new and just say its an IPA - just in lager form for variety's sake.

steveh likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.