Visiting Atlanta/Athens EOM

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Jack_Around, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_Around

Jack_Around Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Texas

Howdy from Houston. A couple of buddies and I have a tradition of traveling to different conferences around the country to catch a football game and get a taste of the local atmosphere. We're Longhorn fans from the Big XII, and have traveled to Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Madison, Ann Arbor and last year we went to Eugene, OR. We've had a great time every year, and at the end of the month, the weekend of September 28, we're coming to Athens.

A couple of weeks before our trip, I always start a talk thread on various forums to get an idea on where we should go, places to see, and can't-miss things to do. We got a lot of good pointers from the folks in Madison but not as much from the Ann Arbor thread. We're hoping Athens will come through with flying colors.

So, what do you say? We've got tickets to the LSU game on the 28th, and we're staying in Atlanta for Thursday night - other than that, our dance card is empty. Food and beer are high on our lists, so that's a good place to start. I know the Terrapin brewery is there, so we'll have to stop by. Porter Beer Bar, Trappeze Pub... good bottle shops?

Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers.

2. DawgsOnHop

DawgsOnHop Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 Georgia

As far as Athens goes, 5 Point's bottle shop is great. And if you're looking for good bars downtown, Trappeze Pub and Treppenhaus are my personal favorites.

JTDay and ndepriest like this.
  3. Jack_Around

Thanks man. I think I had come across 5 Points, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thoughts on Terrapin? Anybody do bottle shares or anything? I think I could bring a couple TX brews with me if properly motivated.

4. DawgsOnHop

Terrapin is awesome. The brewery is open on Fridays from 5:30-7:30 and you pay $10 for a glass and 8 4oz pours, but they recently started capping the amount of people they let in so you'd probably want to get there a few minutes early. I'm not 100% sure what all beers will be out the weekend of the LSU game but they keep what they have on tap at the brewery pretty up to date on their website.

5. mondegreen

mondegreen Devotee (419) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

No bottle shares at Terrapin - they cannot allow any alcohol to be brought on premise. They used to allow a homebrew club to use their facilities for meetings, but the authorities put a stop to it. Depending on what's on tap, Terrapin can be hit or miss. Many times they just have their standard lineup on, so it's not all that great. Also, it gets stupidly crowded. I'm just not a fan of standing in a long assed line to get a pour of Hopsecutioner.

As for bars and bottle shops, check out both Five Points Locations. Trappeze Pub is a good place to eat downtown - the Double Pig is an awesome sandwich. Aromas in Five Points is my favorite bar in town. It's smaller than Trappeze (only 10-12 beers on at any given time), but it's more low key and away from the downtown crowds. They also have a decent, but limited, food menu.

Oh yeah, in Atlanta (Decatur to be exact), check out Brick Store Pub.

6. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Aspirant (261) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia
    Beer Trader Subscriber

In Atlanta the Porter Beer bar and the Wrecking Bar brewpub are a 5 minute walk from each other in Little 5 Points. I would highly recommend them both . For bottle shops Greens and Hop City.

7. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Aspirant (276) Jul 26, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader Subscriber

I'll be in the area next weekend. Are there any specific beers I should be looking for? We used to get Allagash in Texas, but I wouldn't mind picking some up. I have had a number of the Terrapins. Saw the Westbrook Gose in cans, but guessing that might be gone by the 21st.

From what I've been reading, Hop City is probably my best single stop bottle shop for bringing things home. Thanks.

8. Jack_Around

Great, thanks. We're actually staying not far from there, in Poncey-Highland, so we can probably check out both.

9. mrk829

mrk829 Aspirant (221) Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

You should also check out the brickstore pub in decatur while you are in atlanta. I live about 40 minutes away but might be able to do an in person trade depending on how busy that week is. I'm new to this area but moved from WI/MN so have a few goodies from up north including 2011 and 2012 vintages of all the following - BCBS, Central Waters (CW) Bourbon Barell Stout, CW Bourbon Barell, Barleywine, and probaly some Peruvian Morning as well. Might even have a few New Glarus brews but will have to check

10. crunkchiggin2002

crunkchiggin2002 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Go to the Vortex in L5P in Atlanta for burgers, it's easily the best burger in town + 5 mins from Poncey Hlands and they regularly have good beer on tap. Decatur is a short MARTA ride from Little 5 pts and you could hit the Brickstore for brews, Leon's for brews / food, or walk down the hill to Taqueria Del Sol for some seriously badass fish tacos and a Sweetwater or equivalent.

I would def recommend the following itinerary. Head to L5P for lunch / beer at Vortex, hit porter then wrecking bar. Walk to MARTA station. Take eastbound train to Decatur. Go to Brickstore, Leons, Taqueria Del Sol then cap it off at Twain's billiards and brewpub. (They have hand shuffleboard tables and regulation billiards). Take cab home. Wake up, go to Athens and watch the Dawgs GATA.

11. Jack_Around

Thanks for the suggested itinerary! But didn't you forget the Clermont Lounge in there somewhere? Apparently that's where everyone must go, ha. I think we were also gonna try to get a burger at Holeman & Finch. It's tough when you only have 24 hours...

12. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,228) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader Subscriber

You can go to the Clermont if ya want.. It's just an iconic disgusting dive of a strip club.

A short 40 steps from the Clermont is Greens on Ponce. They have a great bottle selection that you need to stop in and check.

13. FATC1TY

Beer Trader Subscriber

Oh, and I'd suggest the Porter and hang out for a bit, depending on their draft list. Check out their bottle list if ya want some vintage stuff, and don't care to pay for it and split with friends.

Run over to Fox Bro's for some BBQ and they usually have some good draft stuff to roll with it, but it's not a place to go for the beer, just the food.

If ya roll over to the west side, hit up HopCity and check out the draft list for growlers, and roll over next door to 5 Season's.. They have some really good beers on tap there, and the food is really good as well.

14. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Initiate (152) Oct 27, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

One important thing to remember for Athens, open containers are illegal in the downtown area outside of bar railings. On campus they're legal. I've seen way too many people from out of town for games get fined because they didn't know.

15. mondegreen

Point of clarification: Open containers are not really legal on campus. The ordinance is never enforced on gameday because of the obvious logistical issues, but the same is not necessarily true for the rest of the year.

16. FATC1TY

Beer Trader Subscriber

Just keep it in a koozie or cup.

Grab some Westbrook Gose and you can pound 'em all day from the can and still walk to the hedges on your own!

17. deezy23

deezy23 Initiate (163) Nov 15, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

18. mondegreen

Thanks for the link. The bit that Chief Williamson says about who owns each road is the important part. For example, Jackson and Lumpkin are typically considered county roads, but you can walk through campus on those sidewalks with a handle of vodka on gameday with no problems. Sanford and East Campus are university roads, so things could be more permissible there on any given day. University Police have an unwritten policy that unless you are "sick, injured, or breaking shit," they aren't really interested in messing with you. For someone who doesn't know better, the best policy would be not to walk around with an open container unless its gameday or another special event (like the Aldean concert).

Disclaimer: I spent three years on patrol at the university last decade. I never cited anyone for open container, but I dealt with plenty of other alcohol related crimes. Also, I would advise against taking booze into Sanford Stadium. I can't tell you how many people we used to remove from the stadium for having alcohol. It's a first offense ejection if you get caught.

19. deezy23

deezy23 Initiate (163) Nov 15, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

20. Jack_Around

Damn dude, thanks for that. We got hosed in Gainesville for that exact reason. Had been there about 20 minutes, took a cab from our hotel to the campus area, beers in hand, stepped out of the cab and BOOM, open container tickets. Even though the cabbie told us it was fine. Not the way to start the weekend.

21. Jack_Around

Thanks man. We'll be there on gameday, but we'll play it on the safe side.

22. JCam9981

JCam9981 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina

I definitely second 5 Points Bottle Shop in Athens, but will offer a tip - be sure to check dates on IPAs. I've made the mistake a few times of not checking and have ended up getting home with 10 month old beer. Check out the growler store too - usually something great on, and if you need glass, it's cheap!

23. Jack_Around

Appreciate all the help from the BA community. This week's the week, looking forward to it. Anybody have any input on tailgating?

24. DawgsOnHop

College Game Day is coming to Athens this week so the best spot will probably be wherever they set up, which they should announce soon. But as long as you get there early you should be able to find a spot on Myers Quad, which is where I'd guess Gameday will set up and is my personal favorite spot to tailgate. Other than that you can set up on North Campus but there are a lot of regulations (http://gameday.uga.edu/index.php?/default/northcampus/)

You can also just tailgate in whatever parking lot you park at. Tough to say for sure where would be best without knowing what kind of tailgate set up you guys have. Hope you guys have a good time in Athens and Go Dawgs.

25. Jack_Around

Well, we'll likely just walk over from our hotel on Broad instead of messing with traffic and parking.

26. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (342) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Late to the party, but I'll add my 2 cents:

Athens, Five Points Bottle no question. Great guys, very knowledgeable, and well stocked with plenty of good beer at both locations. Vintage stuff is always abound, and they get good allotments too so the rarer treats hang around longer. Trapeze for draft/bottle consumption by far, as well as Aromas. It's smaller but always has several awesome beers on draft.

Atlanta, The Porter and Wrecking Bar in L5P. Both exceptional places. I'd skip the Vortex because it's a decent burger but there's way better available elsewhere and it's always packed out, leaving a long wait. Any of the Corner Pubs (Edgewood is the closest) will have a way better burger and less standing in line. Decatur has The Brickstore (hard to get in, long wait, but huge beer list), Leon's (similar issues in a smaller place), The Iberian Pig, The Square Pub, The Marlay House (great Irish spot), Mac McGee's (biggest single malt menu I've ever seen), and Twain's which is a brewpub, good beers and great pool and other games. Traveling further South, in East Atlanta, The Argosy and The Midway are stand out places but there's also The Earl, Gravity Pub, Flatiron, and the Graveyard which are all good places to check out.

Beer can be bought best at Green's (both locations), Tower (both), Ale Yeah! (Decatur will be the closest to you intown), but you can travel around a little and hit Toco Giant, Decatur Wine & Spirits (some really vintage treats here, including Brewdog's TNP and STB), Decatur Package, and S&N Package. That should keep you more than busy but if you make it outside the perimeter there's a few more good package stores too. Beer bars, nothing really great save for Muss & Turner's in Smyrna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More