1. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,153) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Halfway through 2019 seems like a good time to resurrect this. Suggestions and corrections welcome.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Ale Apothecary (limited hours)
    Bend Brewing
    Boneyard
    Crux
    Deschutes (crowler fills at production brewery tasting room)
    Sunriver Brewing (Bend/Sunriver)

Other Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs
    10 Barrel
    Boss Rambler Beer Club (pre-filled 16-oz crowlers)
    GoodLife
    Kobold/The Vault (Redmond)
    McMenamins Old St. Francis (check out the soaking pool and O’Kanes in back)
    Monkless
    Porter Brewing (all cask)
    Spider City (crowler fills)
    Silver Moon
    Wild Ride (Redmond)
    Worthy (hop yard and observatory onsite)

Beer Bars / Bottle Shops
    Brew Shop / Platypus Pub
    Broken Top Bottle Shop
    Crow's Feet Commons
    Growler Guys Eastside / Westside (crowler fills)
    Growler Phil’s
    Jersey Boys Pizzeria (Redmond)
    Market of Choice (crowler fills)
    Redmond Craft Brewing Supply (Redmond)
    Rimrock Tap House (Redmond)
    The Beer Stop (Redmond)
    The Brown Owl
    The Mountain Jug (Sunriver)
    The Wine Shop (alternate tasting room for Spider City)
    WhiteWater Taphouse

Recent Activity

Openings from Boss Rambler, Spider City, Porter, and Initiative
    Riverbend closes pub, becomes production-only brewery

Brewery breakdown by town

Bend 21

Redmond 6

Prineville 2

Sisters 1

Sunriver 1

Terrebonne 1

#1 sharpski, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  2. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

Nice changes since I checked the list a while ago. Great to see the Bend area still expanding!

jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  3. sharpski

Society Trader

Thanks to @rrock44 for getting me to update the info. 4 brewery openings since the last thread deserves a refresher, and as a tourist area the summer is high season.

I'm at 17 of 32 breweries between the "Must Visit" and "Other Recommended" which I think is a little soft. IMO these are the top half-ish of local breweries but it seems a little flabby to recommend so many. Help me pare it down.

Before you suggest 10 Barrel, though, explain why their beer is less worthy than the others on the list. You may have a beef with their owners, but one-offs at the pubs continue to earn their place here. I don't necessarily advocate 6pks of Apocalypse, but getting to taste the creations of Tonya, Ian, and the rest of the R&D staff means Bend is a bubble outside of AB's nasty parlor tricks and should be viewed separately in the mind of the OP.

rrock44 and Doma like this.
  4. Doma

Fair comment about 10 Barrel, let the beer speak for itself! As for Boneyard, I thought after they opened the pub they'd move up to the 1st tier of "must-hit"

jakecattleco, beertunes and sharpski like this.
  5. sharpski

Society Trader

Good call! @John_M please move Boneyard to “Must Visit”

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,331) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Well, it's the monetary muscle behind them that lets Tonya do those experiments. She was up here for BBW a couple years ago, and gave a nice presentation. In the Q&A session, someone asked her what being owned by Inbev meant for her. After saying (with a laugh) it meant she never had to "go upstairs and brew a batch of Pale Ale" ever again, she told a story. She wanted to brew a beer with fresh,local, wild huckleberries. So, they took a three day camping trip and picked all the huckleberries they could. Before the sell-out, would it have been possible to pay an employee to go camping for 3 days? I kinda doubt it. (the beer was fabulous. She gifted me a bottle, and it was one of the best beers I've had.)

Having that kind of financial freedom is a huge advantage over the smaller breweries. Not even getting into the advertising, marketing, sales, and distribution muscle Inbev gives those breweries. That's why I think they should be excluded. YMMV.

7. sharpski

Society Trader

Fair enough. That kind of largesse is exactly why I think they’re worthy of inclusion, though. Here in Bend we get to benefit from AB’s deep pockets (and the Brewer’s ingenuity) by experiencing 10 Barrel as a supercharged brewpub and ignore the bullshit. Is it fair? No. Is it a reality of living in 10 Barrel’s hometown? Yes.

deadwolfbones and Doma like this.
  8. Doma

When visiting Bend I used to skip 10 Barrel for the "usual reason" of being the part of AB. Now I'm intrigued and planning to stop by the pub next time I'm back to Oregon.

ballardbeer likes this.
  9. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (335) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

I liked 10 Barrel before they were purchased but I haven't gone back there since because of AB InBev and don't have any plans to. That said, this is a thread about visitors and the popularity of BCBS threads on BA as a whole proves there is certainly a market for people who love big beer provided it doesn't have corn syrup.

So perhaps meet in the middle and list it as "10 Barrel (AB InBev)" and then let people decide if they want to #seektheseal or not.

What I want to hear is some justification for Silver Moon. I've been to Bend a few times, and going twice this year, and I've never been.

I agree with promoting Boneyard, because that's always been a must-hit place for me although ironically the only time I didn't visit was after they moved into the new pub. My least favorite one to visit is actually Deschutes because of how busy it gets and although the free tasting is great, the majority of their beers don't do much for me.

10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

That's a good question, and I certainly don't have an answer. I happen to like Silver Moon beer a lot, but I'm not sure they're really any better than Goodlife or 10 Barrel (even though I don't go to 10 barrel any more). Still haven't visited the facilty since it underwent rennovation.

We typically seem to spend most of our time at Crux, BBC, Sun River and Broken Top when visiting the area.

sharpski likes this.
  11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,096) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Similar on my end, with stops at Growler Phil's for sandwiches and growlers, and the East Growler Guys location (gots to get my Pallet Jack fix while I'm there ya know).

vurt and sharpski like this.
  12. sharpski

Society Trader

I think Silver Moon should probably slide back down to “Other Recommended” in the next iteration. There was a time after the Redmond production expansion and around the time of the pub remodel that they seemed to have some extra juice. They’ve expanded the back patio and continue to produce quality beer but don’t seem as hot as 2 years ago.

13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

From a beer standpoint, there are a lot of reasons I feel fortunate to live in the PNW. The ability to get pallet jack pretty much whenever I want is very near the top of the list.

14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'll try to make the recommended changes tomorrow at work. Would do it now, but but it's too difficult to do it on my phone.

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  15. beertunes

Trader

Bastards!

kemoarps likes this.
  16. sharpski

Society Trader

Primal Cuts sammies are one of the best parts of life on the Westside.

Pallet Jack availability at Growler Guys seems to be more hit and miss these days; FYI Big Dog Growlers has it as a dedicated handle if you’re in town and GG is no joy.

#16 sharpski, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  17. mxzebrax

mxzebrax Initiate (92) Jun 20, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

Sad news, but they no longer do the free tastings there like they used to. :slight_frown:

18. sharpski

Society Trader

Which free tastings are you remembering? Like any other place in town, you can get a taste of one or two choices to make up your mind, but have to pay for a full flight.

19. WA_Brian

Society

Deschutes, at the brewery and not the pub. Got a little punch card when you walked in and got like 4 free tasters.

sharpski likes this.
  20. mxzebrax

mxzebrax Initiate (92) Jun 20, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

Yeah, they stopped doing that at least a year or so ago unfortunately. Now you have to pay, and you can at least get full pints..

21. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (120) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Forgot to mention Bevel in the recent openings, Ryan. Solid IPAs and other hoppy styles, if that's your thing. Great selection of food trucks and a good vibe.

Also should probably mention in that section that Smith Rock Brewing closed.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  22. deadwolfbones

Yeah, I agree. Excluding them because they have the luxury to make great experimental beer seems silly.

I don't choose to spend my money there, but I go semi-frequently on charity nights and I'm consistently impressed with the beer.

sharpski likes this.
  23. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (338) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Took the family to the high desert museum. Good time. Definitely watch the birds of prey show. Really cool. Resting up now with silver moon’s Simon says.

24. beertunes

Trader

Yeah, that museum is on my must-hit list for anyone visiting Bend.

25. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (338) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Sadly my time in Bend is coming to an end. Back to the TC in the morn. Just a shout out to @sharpski for 1) keeping this thread up and 2) being so helpful with my questions that I sent him on the side. Even though this was a family focused trip, I was still able to get in plenty of great Bend brews (just check out the Joon thread :sunglasses:) Next time down the road (without the kiddos) I owe you a brew (or three). thanks dude!

kemoarps, sharpski and jakecattleco like this.
  26. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (45) May 31, 2018 Oregon

I've only stuck my head in the door a few times since Silver Moon changed owners. I used to go all the time when Tyler owned it. Can't say it has the same vibe it used to. Used to be a very-local, locals' spot. Went there regulalrly. There were always lots of fundraiser events for bike community stuff and other worthy causes.

Now it seems like everywhere else, packed with tourists or brand-new Bendites slumming it it their $400 down puffy jackets.

I miss the chipotle wings they used to have.

jakecattleco likes this.
  27. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Say it aint true..i loved the old Silver Moon..last went 2 years ago..liked the down home blue collar feel ..its changed totally?

28. I_h8_clowns

My impression is that the place has been totally yuppiefied. The remodel probably has a lot to do with the vibe and the amount of people who wouldn't have gone there before when it was a little rough around the edges.

or maybe I'm just mad because my down puffy jacket doesn't fit anymore because I got old and fat. (but it only cost me $99 with my employee discount back in the day).

time marches on.

29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sure you're right, though count me as another SM fan who liked the old place

Still remember the first time I stopped in some years back while attending the annual summer brewfest for the first time. I only stopped by to see if they might have some Maui Wowie ipa on tap (they didn't), and I was amazed by what I saw. The place had the feel and vibe of a biker bar, with a lovely divish flavor. After visiting Crux, 10 Barrel, BBC and Goodlife, I remember thinking "well this is more like it." Unfortunately, I'd already been to BBC and Broken Top that day, so my visit had to be short. Still remember how instantly relaxed I felt there, hanging out with a beer in their completely unpretentious pub/taproom. Ah well...

sharpski and vurt like this.
  30. I_h8_clowns

Craft breweries are particularly susceptible to what I call the "Green Day conundrum".

if you were part of the punk music scene in Berkeley, during the late 80s and early 90s...and a die-hard Green Day fan, you were probably horrified when the band became mainstream superstars when Dookie! got released on a major label and was played on every rock and pop radio station for decades to come. Some people might call this selling ou

But if you're a fan..wouldn't you want your favorite band to be successful and make money and have nice things? Who wouldn't wish success upon other people? Just because they have money now and lots of people like them, does that meany they suck now?

Insert Silver Moon, 10 Barrel, Goose Island, or favorite restaurant that now sucks in place of Green Day in above analogy....

deadwolfbones and chinochino like this.
  31. deadwolfbones

Agreed, except I'd say that craft beer drinkers are the ones who are susceptible. Like the members of Green Day, I doubt the breweries are sweating it too much.

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I would also say it's a little bit of an over generalization. For example, I have to think most HOTD fans greatly prefer the current venue to the old spot over on SE Holgate (no matter what sort of feelings of nostalgia they may have for the old location). Same with the Bier Stein down in Eugene (much prefer the new location), and even Belmont Station.

That being said, when I think back on places like the old Bridgeport pub, the redhook trolley pub in Seattle, and even 10 barrel before it became part of the evil empire, I think @I_h8_clowns makes a pretty good point.

33. Reidrover

Society

Has anyone had the Silver Moon SMB beers for sale at Plaid Pantry ( i assume they are specially made for PP as this is the only place i see them.)..an IPA and a Blonde..both poor quality..the IPA is maybe drinkable as a APA..remind me of the Weinhard attempst at the styles...but at least they are cheap

34. sharpski

Society Trader

In what way do you think they are poor quality? I’ve had them at the pub and didn’t detect any inferior ingredients or processes. Just lighter beers with mellow flavors to have broad appeal and maybe get some BMC drinkers to cross over.

Reidrover likes this.
  35. Reidrover

Society

maybe they werent fresh they were on sale..like i said the IPA is drinkable as a APA..IMO. BY they way i liked the Weinhard attempts as a light drinking beers.

sharpski likes this.
  36. beertunes

Trader

They get up here sometimes. I had 'em, thought they were decent enough, for what they are. I would take a sixer to a cookout or the river.

37. deadwolfbones

They're not just at Plaid Pantry. Food4Less had them for $6/6pk recently and I was tempted, but I have way too much beer in my fridge already thanks to homebrewing and @sharpski.

vurt and sharpski like this.
  38. I_h8_clowns

>>>I miss the chipotle wings they used to have.<<<

upon reflection...they were ancho chile wings. not chipotle. a dry rub. they were something special.

39. WA_Brian

Society

Any recommendations for local ambers?

40. sharpski

Society Trader

Oof, stumped on that one. Will have to look around.