Visiting Bend/Sunriver (Early 2018)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sharpski, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpski

sharpski Champion (837) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

An update reflecting changes to Central Oregon's beer landscape in the last half year or so. Suggestions and corrections welcome.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Ale Apothecary (limited hours)
    Bend Brewing
    Crux
    Deschutes
    Silver Moon
    Sunriver Brewing (Bend/Sunriver)

Other Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs
    10 Barrel
    Boneyard (small tasting room only)
    GoodLife
    Kobold/The Vault (Redmond)
    McMenamins Old St. Francis (check out the soaking pool and O’Kanes in back)
    Monkless
    Riverbend
    Wild Ride (Redmond)
    Worthy (hop yard and observatory onsite)

Beer Bars / Bottle Shops
    Brew Shop / Platypus Pub
    Broken Top Bottle Shop
    Crow's Feet Commons
    Growler Guys Eastside / Westside
    Growler Phil’s
    Jersey Boys Pizzeria (Redmond)
    Market of Choice
    Redmond Craft Brewing Supply (Redmond)
    Rimrock Tap House (Redmond)
    The Beer Stop (Redmond)
    The Brown Owl
    The Mountain Jug (Sunriver)
    The Wine Shop
    WhiteWater Taphouse

Recent Activity
    Riverbend canning milkshake IPAs, going all-in on hazy IPAs
    Boneyard's taproom nearing completion (for real this time)
    North Rim closes
    CRAFT Kitchen + Brewery relocates to north Bend

Brewery breakdown by town
    Bend 19
    Redmond 3
    Prineville 2
    Sisters 1
    Sunriver 1

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,010) May 23, 2011 Washington

Should the Boneyard spot be open in time for Memorial Day?

3. sharpski

Trader

100%. Well, maybe more like 90%. Let's call it 50% just to be safe.

4. distantmantra

Sounds about right with the many delays it's seen over the years.

5. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (347) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Will the completed taproom be at the original location they announced years ago or is it a totally new location? It's crazy how long it's taken.

6. distantmantra

SeaAle likes this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,193) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Interesting read. Will definitely be on my list of places to visit this summer, as I'll be curious to see the new space. I'm a big fan of Boneyard beer, but unless the pub is getting some "one offs" that are only available at the pub, I'm not sure this will be part of my regular Bend rotation. It's pretty easy to find Boneyard stuff here in PDX, so unless the pub has something special on tap that I can't find elsewhere, I likely won't be stopping by all that often after the initial visit.

jakecattleco likes this.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,546) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

And, that was dated last year. So, the holding of ones breath is not suggested. :wink:

9. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (347) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

10. John_M

Premium

Ha! I didn't even notice that.

I/we typically go up to Bend at least once during the summer, usually in August sometime. That's almost 6 months from now, so hopefully it will be up and running by then. Even if it's not, I haven't had a chance to stop by Silver Moon since they reopened, and I never get tired of visiting Broken Top, Crux and Bend Brewing. There's never any dearth of good places to find good food and drink in Bend.

And my wife totally loves the downtown shopping scene there! :sunglasses:

jakecattleco and beertunes like this.
  11. sharpski

Trader

In the past few months, small batch appearances have increased; it wouldn’t surprise me to find out the pub was a catalyst. Not everything’s been a winner, but I like that they’re stretching.

NWer likes this.
  12. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (281) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

This is lame. Anyone know what precipitated this?

beertunes likes this.
  13. John_M

Premium

The back way is the only way I ever learned how to get there, so this would have no impact on me.

That being said, it seems kind of weird that they would close the road leading up to Crux without at least talking to them about it first. Not the best way to stay on good terms with the neighbors, that's for sure.

#14 John_M, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  14. distantmantra

15. derftron

derftron Disciple (305) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

spent the night in Bend a few days ago. Crux is all under construction, but the beers were great.

FYI - Bottles of Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb are still available at the Newport Ave. Market! I only snagged 1 so there are at least 8-10 still sitting on the shelf

16. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (281) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

distantmantra likes this.
  17. distantmantra

18. JoeyStats707

JoeyStats707 Aspirant (284) Jan 28, 2014 California
    Trader

was just looking around google maps for a friend visiting the area soon and noticed Bridge 99 brewery, whats up with them?

19. beertunes

Trader

I may have asked this before, but it seems I've forgotten the answer, but, what's up with Way Out West brewing? Saw a sixer from them in Fred Meyer the other day. They've only got 3 beers listed here.

20. distantmantra

Contract brewed by Silver Moon for Kroger.

beertunes, sharpski and vurt like this.
  21. beertunes

Trader

Didn't realize Silver Moos had that kind of capacity.

22. sharpski

Trader

Having revisited them in the past week, I’m comfortable with their absence from the OP. The beer’s not bad, but other breweries in town make better.

beertunes likes this.
  23. sharpski

Trader

Their production facility in Redmond is sizeable, and has space for more tanks. 2016 barrelage was 4150.

beertunes likes this.
  24. beertunes

Trader

Aahhh, yet another damn thing of which I was unaware. Apparently I ain't none too bright. BTW, I always liked the old SM, how ya like their space since the remodel?

25. sharpski

Trader

It was a good business decision to clean it up and better appeal to their audience, but it no longer has any of the grittiness that gave it character. We weren’t hurting for more spots with a “NW Industrial Chic” decor.

26. sharpski

Trader

No official date yet, but Boneyard has started advertising that they're hiring for the brewpub staff.

27. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,249) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Gonna be in Bend starting Saturday for 5 days. Wife is going to be in conferences M-W for work during the day. Looking forward to beerin it up whilst she learns. Hoping that Boneyard has the pub open by then, fingers crossed.

28. sharpski

Trader

Second or third hand info, so take with a grain of salt, but I heard June. I would think if they were targeting a Memorial Day weekend opening (or earlier), they’d have said so by now.

@jbakajust1 I’d love to meet over a pint if you’re available.

29. distantmantra

Bummer about Boneyard. We’ll be down there for Memorial Day weekend as always, and was hoping to check it out. Oh well.

30. jbakajust1

Premium

For sure. I'll have hours of downtime M & T.

31. jbakajust1

Premium

Any feedback on Oblivion or Bridge 99? Cascade Lakes? Any reason to hit them up? What's good?

32. sharpski

Trader

There are just better options than those 3 IMO. If you have to scratch an itch and visit someplace new to you, I’d say Oblivion > Bridge 99 > Cascade Lakes.

Aside from breweries you know you like, I’d suggest posting up at Whitewater and trying some Kobold, Tranquilo, Monkless, or even some 10B one-off sour beers from Tonya/Ian/Pyka if that appeals.

Since it sounds like you’ll have enough time, I’d recommend a Redmond jaunt to check out Wild Ride, The Vault (Kobold’s taproom), Beer Stop, and Rimrock Taphouse. All but Wild Ride have online taplists so you can decide if it’s worthwhile before you make the 25 minute trek.

33. jbakajust1

Premium

@sharpski hoping to bring some bottles over of my blended barrel aged stuff to share as well.

sharpski likes this.
  34. distantmantra

I’ve never been to Riverbend, so definitely hitting them up. Otherwise it’s the standard route of Crux, AA, Sunriver, Silver Moon, Good Life, Crows Feet, Platypus, BTBS, etc.

sharpski likes this.
  35. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (390) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

First trip to Bend in almost 10 years in July, so this is perfect timing.

36. jbakajust1

Premium

37. sharpski

Trader

Yeah, especially since it’s in the midst of Brown Owl, Spoken Moto, Atlas Cider, and Crux. There’s a new bar called River Pig Saloon (haven’t been yet) and a Market of Choice with consistent good taps right there too so if it’s not your thing you’ve got lots of options in walking distance.

38. jbakajust1

Premium

Went to Riverbend last night and sampled 10 beers... all the hazy and milk shakes... the bourbon spiced imp milk stout... couldn't finish any... I thought maybe they couldn't make a beer flavored beer so they cover it up with crap. Had the Helles... damn tasty beer! They need to just brew that and drop the gimmicks.

66jzmstr and sharpski like this.
  39. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (29) May 31, 2018 Oregon

My two-cents as a Bend resident. Stay away from Deschutes pub downtown during the busy summer tourist season. (early spring and fall before ski season hits is best) It's a nightmare now already. it's turned into a tourist trap that sells t-shirts and hats. Better bet is to go to the tasting room at the brewery itself over on Simpson Ave if you're all about the beer.

I like Sunriver Brewing...but prefer the Bend location on Galveston for the food. The chef there, Justin..is totally legit. parking is all on side streets...that's the downside unless you're doing the bike/walk thing.

PS: good luck to Boneyard. It'll be the best thing yet in that location on Division St. (a.k.a. the street where restaurants go to die). previously it's been a mexican restaurant, a punk music venue and a not-so-good chinese restaurant. I thought it would make a good location for a food cart pod, but bend is lousy with those now, too.

Reidrover, sharpski and kemoarps like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.