1. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (92) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

I’ll be in Houston for two nights in a week and a half, looking for recommendations on breweries, beer bars/bottle shops etc. I’ll have a rental car so I can drive. I’ll be there Mon Jan 7-Wed the 9th. I saw that Spindletap is only open Thurs-Sunday, that really sucks if so. Was hoping to bring some of their cans back with me. TIA for any help.

2. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I have been out of town for Christmas, but Premium Draught had plenty of Spindletap 5% Tint in cans when I was there last, right before I left town. They are a growler and bottle shop.

Holler and Saint Arnold are my two favorite breweries to hang out at right now. The new Saint Arnold restaurant is amazing. Holler just released a new Czech Pilsner that I need to try as soon as I get back.

Outside of those two, these are some of the other breweries that make it into my rotation, that I would recommend:
    Eureka Heights
    Great Heights
    Bailson's

Hay Merchant, Hughies (both locations), Heights Bier Garten, Rudyard's, and Petrol Station for beer bars. They all have good food, and all have pretty different/unique food menus from one another.

There are many other threads in the Southwest forum for places to visit in Houston. Search and check those out, and there are a ton of other spots to visit as well, depending on were you are and what you are looking for. The above is just a highlight and my current personal preference cause its almost never ending now.

Henryb22 likes this.
  3. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (980) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Saint Arnold, Holler, Brash (like IPA? Stout? - this is your stop). B52 is great and may be able to feed your Hazy (assume this is the goal with Spindletap) needs.
    Specs on Smith street is your best bet for bottle shop.

Houston is massive and very spread out - where are you staynig?

4. Henryb22

Trader

Staying downtown and near the medical university. Yeah NEIPAs would be nice to bring back, will any bottle shops carry their cans since they are closed? I’ll take a look at Saint Arnold, Holler and B52. Thanks!

5. Henryb22

Trader

Also no one has mentioned ingenious? Not good or too far away? B52 seems like quite a hike as well. Don’t mind driving if I can come back with cans.

Edit, I leave Wednesday morning so looks like I won’t be going to B52 either or Holler as they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Is this a Texas thing for breweries?

#5 Henryb22, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. champ103

Society

@Henryb22, Monday and Tuesday are the slowest days for brewery tap rooms, so a lot of places around Houston choose to not open then. I'm not the biggest fan of Ingenious, but am told I am the minority. So definitely check it out yourself. They will have crowlers for sure. B52 is a ways from downtown Houston (can easily be an hour+ in bad traffic). Though think they are closed Monday and Tuesday as well.

Edit:
    Downtown beer bars that are easy to get to...
    Mongoose Versus Cobra
    Conservatory
    Flying Saucer
    Craft Beer Cellar
    Axelrad

#6 champ103, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Henryb22 likes this.
  7. Henryb22

Trader

Thanks, I’ll probsbly go to ingenious and Saint Arnold as those are two that will be open Tuesday when I can go. I’ll have to take a look at beer bars and pick one or two. And bottle shops I should hit besides specs?

8. champ103

Society

Premium Draught is a good spot for singles, and they will have growler fills of a lot of the locals around. Almost always some Holler on tap or a NEIPA of some sort, either cans or on tap.
    D&Q is a great store.
    Most HEB's will have a good selection, for a big grocery chain.

Oh, and forgot. The Whole Foods in the Galleria area has a brewery. Not a terrible drive from downtown, and open everyday. They will have NEIPA's on all the time, as well as a wide range of other styles.

Henryb22 likes this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,783) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Also use Taphunter and Untappd to check out bars to see what they have on tap. This won't help you with bringing cans back, but it will allow you to sample from local breweries that aren't open. Enjoy your time here.

Henryb22 likes this.
  10. EricRub

EricRub Initiate (46) Dec 16, 2018 Texas
    Trader

I saw on their facebook that spindletap is either at brookshires or kroger marketplace

11. EricRub

EricRub Initiate (46) Dec 16, 2018 Texas
    Trader

But they only sell crawlers to-go

12. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (342) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Hi all,

I'm considering a 3 day solo trip this June to see some baseball games and breweries. I've loved trips like that to places like Boston/Denver/San Diego. It's kind of awkward to ask this in your thread/forum, but is the brewery scene strong enough in Houston to make this similar type of trip worthwhile? I would be staying near Minute Maid Park and not using a rental car. Besides taprooms, are there really strong craft beer bars downtown? I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

13. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (272) Aug 16, 2012 Texas

Sigma, True Anomaly, 8th Wonder, and Saint Arnold are near the ballpark. For beer bars there are Conservatory, Craft Beer Cellar, Moontower, and Flying Saucer. Other than that you’d need a car to reach others - Houston isn’t known for its public transportation.

champ103 and Nbrock24 like this.
  14. donspublic

Society Trader

You can hit almost 50% of the breweries in Houston with a $5 Uber ride from downtown. Holler is walkable from downtown, done it before. I went to Birmingham Alabama for a weekend beer vacation so Houston is worth it. Add to your list Hughies, Brash, heights beer garden, Petrol station, ton more. Best thing to do is map where you want to go and Uber between those outside downtown. If you decide to hit up greater heights, grad a bite at petrol while over there, or stop at heights beer garden when coming or going. Depending on weather, axle rad is a good outdoor beer garden

champ103 and Nbrock24 like this.
  15. champ103

Society

You can also take the train downtown to Mongoose Vs Cobra which is a unique beer and cocktail bar, also not a bad Uber if that is the way you want to go.

If you are downtown, highly recommend the Market Square area, lots of bars and restaurants in easy walking distance. Craft Beer Cellar is there, but also La Carafe which is one of my favorite dives. Houston's oldest bar in Houston's oldest building. Cash only, crazy old time art work, great jukebox, only a few taps. Though usually something from Saint Arnold and Yellow Rose on tap (sometimes they will have cheep Divine Reserve bottles from SA as well).

donspublic and Nbrock24 like this.
  16. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Zealot (519) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

I agree with what many others have said:

Downtown breweries:
    Saint Arnold
    Sigma
    Holler
    If you’re coming for baseball you’ll appreciate 8th Wonder. Beer is good, not great, IMO. I usually pregame there before Astros games.

Downtown taprooms:
    Flying Saucer
    Axelrad
    Conservatory may be a unique experience
    OKRA is a good bar

If you venture out a bit north you can hit Brash (FYI, they blare heavy metal, so if that doesn’t sound like a good time to you, stick to having Brash in a taproom) and Petrol Station.

As to it being worth a trip, absolutely! I’d put Houston beer up against any other city in the southern U.S.!

Nbrock24 likes this.
  17. donspublic

Society Trader

Also @Nbrock24 not sure what type of bar scene you are into, but the whole EDO (right next to the ballpark & 8th Wonder) area has blown up in the past few years. They all offer some type of Houston Craft, so after running around town, you can always plan on having night options closer to where you are staying. Good burger can be had at Rodeo Goat. Also @champ103 pointed out a great place Mongoose vs Cobra, good small plates/apps (epic pretzel) and they do 1/2 pours on most beers so you can try multiple beers without commiting to a pint. Their tap list is always eclectic. I would do a little research on the Houston Metro train if you are staying in downtown, that can get you to Sigma, AxelRad & Mongoose vs Cobra real easy. Also Moon Tower Inn has great Sausages/Hot Dogs, and if you are craving Mexican, the Original Ninfa's is in that same area.
    One more thing, now that Parish is distributing to Houston you can try Ghost in the Machine which should be on tap around town, along with it's younger brother Envie. One of the best bottle shops in town Specs is not far from downtown on Smith Street.

SMH_NWI, Nbrock24 and champ103 like this.
  18. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (417) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Brass Tap, Holman Draft Hall, Mongoose vs. Cobra, Axelrad are all in Midtown and I hit them all most weeks :grin: Beer Market is okay, but if I go it’s for the atmosphere and music bingo night (don’t ask).

Went to Baileson Brewing finally last week near Rice/University Place. I will go more this spring. Might be too hot in the summer.

Craft Beer Cellar usually has the absolute best tap list in town in my experiences. Bottle selection is decent but they’re over priced.

You’ll find all you need at Specs midtown as well.

St. Arnold is fun and cool atmosphere, food though is honestly better than the beer tho. I said it, sorry :grimacing:

donspublic likes this.
  19. SMH_NWI

Trader

As @donspublic was saying another favorite of ours is hitting Great Heights Brewing (always have multiple solid hazy/NEIPAs) and you can get canned cr/growlers. Also, walk down the street to Petrol Station - great selection usually of beer, food is solid af too. Hey, and you can catch a movie outside also and they supply the OFF spray which is clutch in the summer

donspublic likes this.
  20. mindtrip2012

mindtrip2012 Initiate (65) Sep 25, 2014 North Dakota
    Trader

I’ll be in Houston for a few days starting Saturday. What’s the best spot for singles?? Specs?

Staying downtown

21. SMH_NWI

Trader

Yes, Spec’s midtown is your spot

22. SMH_NWI

Trader

Yes, HEB on Alabama has a better beer selection than a lot of beer stores anywhere :grimacing:

mindtrip2012 likes this.
  23. donspublic

Society Trader

They are a little more pricey, but if you truly want to grab singles I highly recommend D & Q The Beer Station. They are right off of downtown, short uber if you don't have a car. Specs will have some singles, but not near the level that D & Q will have. Enjoy your stay

24. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (980) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

The quick Uber to D&Q will definitely be worth your while as opposed to Specs if you're specifically looking for singles.

If Uber isn't an option, there is Craft Beer Cellar in downtown. While I have not been to that location, the Cypress location has a fair amount of singles.

SMH_NWI, donspublic and mindtrip2012 like this.
  25. donspublic

Society Trader

Good point have never been to that one but the one in cypress will split up any package and sell you singles. Advantage to them is you can have a beer while shopping

mindtrip2012 likes this.
  26. SMH_NWI

Trader

Best tap selection in town typically IMO. Bottle selection is hit or miss but they’re overpriced for retail

27. donspublic

Society Trader

Yeah once the binder comes off a 4/6 pack, watch out

28. MCDForm

MCDForm Initiate (71) Oct 13, 2010 California

I'm heading to Houston on Tuesday and staying in Downtown. What beers should I be looking out for right now? I'm down with any style but have had enough hazy's (live a bike ride's distance to Monkish) unless they are really worth it.

29. Nbrock24

Trader

Where should I be looking to get some good barbecue? I'm willing to take a quick uber. Is Pinkerton's the way to go? Thanks!

30. SMH_NWI

Trader

I’d just go to Craft Beer Cellar - they have a retail area along with a great tap list, best in the city consistently in my opinion. On most, maybe all, draft beers you can get a cr/growler fill also.

You can google maps it but it’s in downtown at Travis and Franklin streets.

If you want to go to midtown (where I live) there’s countless bars with great rotating tap lists. Here are some of the better ones:
    1) Holman Draft Hall - good food too
    2) Brass Tap - good happy hour food menu
    3) Axelrad - Luigi’s pizza next door
    4) Mongoose vs. Cobra
    All 4 of them are great and walkable or <$6 Uber
    5) Beer Market - huge tap, bottle, can list but not as good of offerings as those above. Good food too

$15ish Uber from downtown to the Heights area:
    1) Great Heights Brewery
    2) Petrol Station
    3) Astral Brewing

EaDo (East downtown) which is near Minute Maid Park:
    1) Sigma Brewing - good food, texmex only I believe
    2) 8th Wonder - fun atmosphere and good food trucks, beer is okay
    Many other bars and hot spots in EaDo

There’s so many parts of the city and all typically have breweries/brew pubs, you can’t go wrong.

champ103 likes this.
  31. champ103

Society

Pinkerton's is good, but all a la carte and gets expensive quickly, it is good but not any better than any other place. Truth just opened on Washington and Heights, but the line is ridiculous, I wouldn't deal with that. There is a ridiculous amount of hype for both those spots, and not sure its really that much better than any place else.

Henderson & Kane is very underrated without any of the lines/hassle of the other two. They have a good six pack selection to go (Saint Arnold, Eureka Heights, Live Oak) and 5-6 taps from some local breweries for growler fills or just a pint. Though Gatlin's and The Pit Room are my two favorite BBQ spots in the city proper. That is without going to Corkscrew or Kileen's in the burbs (and dealing with long lines there as well). Gatlin's will have a few bottles but nothing particularly of interest on the beer front. Pit Room has a few good taps like 512 Pecan Porter that goes perfect with the BBQ. There is also a full bar next door.

Edit:
    If you want to try out a true original/old time favorite check out Burns BBQ. It is in an odd neighborhood outside the loop, in a non gentrified area (but still very safe), no beer, but the owners are awesome and it is legit.

#31 champ103, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    tjmodica and Nbrock24 like this.
  32. MCDForm

MCDForm Initiate (71) Oct 13, 2010 California

Thanks @SMH_NWI I'll be on Congress and Main so it looks like it's a block away.

champ103 and SMH_NWI like this.
  33. donspublic

Society Trader

Gotta throw this out there, if you are around past Wed hit up Holler Brewing, they are in walking distance, if you don't mind walking (1.6 miles) or a short uber.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  34. tjmodica

tjmodica Aspirant (299) Oct 2, 2007 Texas
    Trader

Burns BBQ is a BBQ landmark, requires effort but I would recommend for sure.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  35. JohnDon

JohnDon Defender (622) Apr 21, 2015 Texas
    Society Trader

Lots of great places already mentioned, but I will re-mention some of them: Saint Arnold, Flying Saucer, Petrol Station, The Hobbit Cafe, 8th Wonder, Eight Row Flint, Hughie's (Heights or Original), King's Bierhaus, Spindletap, Postinos, Axelrad, and Pnikertons (BBQ). There are many others but those are some that quickly come to mind.

36. Nbrock24

Trader

Thank you all for your helpful recs last week. Here was my experience and thoughts:

Friday
    -lunch at Truth which was good (sorry I guess I can’t quit hype lines haha)
    -beers at Spindletap: very good beers with Heavy hands as my favorite. Kinda dead at 1-2 on a Friday but nonetheless glad I ubered there
    -beers at CBC: I thought Yellow Rose is a rock solid hazy I would order at a bar locally without hesitation
    -quick beers at 8th Wonder-location was good for the game but didn’t enjoy the beers much
    -Minute Maid-can’t say I loved any of the Saint Arnold or Karbach beers I tried. But Love Street was the best of the ones I had

Saturday
    -lunch at Petrol Station. Burger was very good so thanks for this rec. I enjoyed the Skullberry as I thought it made for a nice milkshake without having some of the drawbacks of the style. I didn’t really like Pussy Wagon as much as many do
    -beers at Great Heights: here was my favorite part of the trip beer wise. Tania and Citramendous were pretty good while Bam Bam was very good. My favorite beers in Houston
    -original Ninfa’s: after the afternoon Astros game. I thought this was really good. I highly enjoyed the fajitas.
    -Holler Brewing: stopper after the game. Big crowd though my palate was kinda crushed at this point. What I had was good from what I remembered p

Sunday
    -lunch at Pinkerton’s. Rehydrated with a Gatorade since it was nearly 100 haha. Brisket was good and blueberry cobbler was solid

I enjoyed the red meat and beer I had in Houston. I had to live clean for 5-6 days afterwards though haha. All patrons and bartenders were really cool and I liked the people of Houston as much as the place

37. SMH_NWI

Trader

Your Saturday sounds like a Saturday I like to do as a Houston local! Glad you got to the Heights and Petrol Station, GH brewery, Holler, then Original Ninfa’s

Cheers

Nbrock24 likes this.
  38. Nbrock24

Trader

Thanks haha! Yeah the beauty of this forum is that you can ask questions and get help so that you can eat and drink like a local if you want to

39. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2009 Texas
    Industry

you must be White Sox fan guy. glad you enjoyed your visit to Houston and to GHBC. thanks for kind words!

Nbrock24 likes this.
  40. Nbrock24

Trader

You got it. I’m glad we smoothed over all bad feelings related to 2005 haha

PhatAtUT likes this.