Visiting Jackson Wyoming

Discussion in 'US - West' started by John_M, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just got here last night and visited the cowboy bar and the Melvin/Thai me up location. The latter was fine (the 2x4 was as good as ever), and the cowboy bar gave me and my wife a chuckle.

The town doesn't seem to lack for good take out places, but was wondering about other breweries or taphouses in town. Previous "Jackson" threads have mostly focused on Thai me up and take out spots.

Any other recommendations or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

MonkeyBread likes this.
  2. fulltrucker

fulltrucker Initiate (25) Dec 23, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Disclaimer: I go to JH to ski or ride bikes, not so much to drink beer, so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I've only been to a handful of places.

I personally like Streetfood at the Stagecoach Bar, in Wilson. The Stagecoach is just a bar, really, kind of divey and local-oriented but generally has some decent stuff on tap IIRC. Streetfood is the restaurant inside the bar, and it has a different owner. Really good (like OMG really effing good) street style tacos, and good bahn mi sammies, and other things.

Snake River Brewing is decent, they've got some tasty brews and it's right there so if you have the time you might as well. I like Pako's IPA, I can't get it down here in Colorado so it's always a nice little treat when I'm up that way. I see on the Googles that SRB is currently closed for renovations, but you should be able to get their stuff anywhere in the area.

Melvin sort of officially moved their main production to Alpine, WY if I am not mistaken. I've never been so I can't speak to it's ambiance or whatever. I also like Thai Me Up, which you've been to. Fun little spot. Actually got to visit before Melvin became it's own thing, it was kinda rad to see that beer get so good and popular that the brewery spun off of the restaurant.

If you can get over the pass to the Drictor area, there's a couple nice spots there...

Wildlife Brewing has tasty pie, it's been a minute but I recall the beers being pretty good.

Tatanka Tavern had a killer tap list and amazing food. Again, it's been a few years since I've been but I liked this place a lot.

Grand Teton Brewing Company is also on the spud side, stopped in once and I dug the experience. The tasting room is small and rustic, not super fancy or anything.

Bitterbill and John_M like this.
  3. fulltrucker

Trader

Oh... and I prefer the Mangy Moose to the Cowboy Bar, and the waffles at the top of the tram don't suck.

4. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Does the Tavern have a local spot in town? No disrespect, but the idea of driving to Driggs, having a couple beers and then driving back over the pass is pretty unimaginable.

I mean seriously man, have you ever made that drive after a visit to the Tavern? :nerd:

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,353) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Never been but I would recommend Roadhouse Brewing. Solid lineup of beers and their food menu looks interesting.

ManBearPat, BBThunderbolt and John_M like this.
  6. fulltrucker

Trader

Ah yeah, forgot Roadhouse is up there. I also have never been, but can confirm the beers I’ve had if there’s are solid.

And no, I’ve never driven back to Jackson after Tatanka, when I’ve been there it’s because I’m staying with friends in Driggs and skiing the ‘Ghee.

John_M and Bitterbill like this.
  7. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Defender (603) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I was gonna say go to Grand Teton. One of the places John Kimmich of The Alchemist brewed at in his early days. And I love the little town of Victor despite the heavy Mormon influence. But the east side of Teton Pass does demand your full attention. I drove over it too many times in the winter and it was often pretty frightening. So maybe not.

John_M and Bitterbill like this.
  8. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Tried their Wilson IPA this evening. Nothing extraordinary, but it was a solid, easy to enjoy WCIPA that I wouldn't hesitate to order again.

9. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (423) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Roadhouse is fine. Some of the worst service I’ve ever experienced at their spot in town. Standard brewery started by folks looking to make a buck IMHO. Never had a bad beer, never felt the need to buy much of it either.

TMU/Melvin pre Alpine brewery was magic. I have to go there all the time and used to drive straight to TMU. Had some amazing beers there. Truly amazing. Hasn’t been the same since all the “issues” and Kurt left. I still think they make really great, very shelf stable hoppy beers but the beer magic isn’t the same. For the Mountain West those guys were pushing the envelope much more than anyone else for a while. Sadly times have changed. Pretty sure they’re actually selling the TMU brewing equipment. Hands down the smallest commercial brewing footPrint I’ve ever seen. They won a lot of hardware on a 3.5bbl system.

I enjoy Snake River. It’s standard “old school” craft beer and their space reflects that but is still really cool. I think they make solid beer.

I have a rental property about .5 miles from Grand Teton in Victor. It’s fine. Generally solid beer. Kimmich did help them open up but that’s about it. Knotty Pine is a staple and really shouldn’t be missed. The drive to Victor/Driggs is eventful if you’re not used to it but is worth it. Time slows down in that Valley and it’s on the edge of not being that way for much longer. Driggs has two breweries. C33 and a tiny brewery that’s basically inside Teton Thai.

dirtylou, skivtjerry, John_M and 2 others like this.
  10. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Defender (603) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

The first time I saw the valley over 30 years ago, I went into all the county offices and several businesses, asking "is there any way I can move here and have a decent job nearby?". Sadly, the answer was " not really". Maybe not so sadly in the long run because I'm very happy living on a VT mountain side with my wonderful wife who I met here, but the Teton Valley is a special place.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the observation amd insight. I wish we had more time to spend here. It's a beautiful part of the world, and the wife is already talking about coming back. It's been a fun 3 days here.

With respect to Snake River Brewing, that will have to wait till our next visit. The brewery is undergoing massive reconstruction and refurbishment. So couldn't visit this trip. Next time for sure.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Zealot (545) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I hope you got to try Zonker while you were in the area @John_M

Jenny Lake lager is another solid offering from Snake River.

Roadhouse was solid imo but nothing special.

The Melvin location in Alpine is a must visit in the summer fwiw

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try it. I was hoping to sample it at the brewery, but it's currently closed.

Agree with you about Roadhouse beer, at least based on what I was able to sample.

I stopped in to the Silver Dollar one night, as our hotel concierge had advised me that the place had a pretty decent tap selection. While that turned out to be true, there were very few local beers on the tap list. So I didn't order anything there (and stuck to bourbon). The only place I ended up ordering beer was at Bin 22. The selection there was small, but at least everything they had on tap was local.

Next time I hope to have more time to do a more comprehensive sampling of local beers in the area.

ManBearPat and Bitterbill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.