Visiting Montreal

Discussion in 'North America' started by VaTechPhilly, Jan 10, 2019.

1. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Devotee (453) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

My friends and I will be visiting Montreal for the Flyers-Canadiens game in a week and a half. Definitely going to Brasserie Du di ciel, and was going to maybe drive to Unibroue but Unibroue doesnt even look like it has a brewpub there. Can anyone confirm? Also planning on doing Vice & versa and Bier Markt. We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown so any recommendations on breweries, good bars, and or places to grab food is appreciated. Or any recommendations to watch NFL conference championship games that Sunday also?

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,758) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Don't bother with Unibroue, it's a long ways out and doesn't have a tasting room/tours/etc. in a way that makes it worth your while if you don't have much time here to begin with IMO..
    DdC and Vices at versa are excellent choices. Isle de garde is close to V&V and has very good beer (good food too) if you want another place.
    Biermarkt is really the only choice right downtown for good beer (mainly imports) though BENELUX is pretty close by if you want local beer. Most bars downtown will have the game on (but with bad beer). Of beer-centric places to watch it downtown, Biermarkt is probably your only bet. Another good option for the game is not downtown but very close. St-Bock has TVs and a huge selection of beers (Quebec locals, brewed there and imports).
    Enjoy your trip!

Jwale73, Shanex and NeroFiddled like this.
  3. VaTechPhilly

Trader

Thanks I’ll be there 2 1/2 days so I don’t mind taking train or cabs around. I’m sure we’ll check most out of what you recommended. St-Bock is doable for the games.

4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (767) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

It looks like the game you are going to is on the 19th? Bellwoods is doing a tap takeover at Vices & Versa on the 19th. It is generally regarded as one of the best breweries in Canada.

TheDoctor likes this.
  5. VaTechPhilly

Trader

Very good.....I was at Bellwoods this summer during Phillies-Blue Jays series and was amazed by their beers. Will definitely check this out.

6. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (372) Sep 1, 2004 New York

There is a Provigo grocery store right near the Hilton with a pretty good selection of refrigerated Quebec beers plus Canada beer in general. The front desk will get you real glassware if you ask. Drinking beer in a plastic cup is for hobos.
    Cheers.

VaTechPhilly likes this.
  7. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (767) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

The Bellwoods tap list for the takeover at Vices & Versa has been posted.

If you like peanut butter stouts, lack Liquids 2 is quite impressive. Tastes like a homemade peanut butter cookie in a glass.

Shanex and TheDoctor like this.
  8. VaTechPhilly

Trader

Wow looks like great list....thanks