Visiting New Orleans soon

Discussion in 'South' started by SeanBond, Sep 30, 2019.

1. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,057) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I apologize if this gets asked a lot (I didn't see much in the search results, but as a Chicagoan, I'm used to seeing this type of question constantly pop up in our part of the forums):

I'll be in NOLA around the 10th of October for a few days. It's not a beer-centric trip, but I figured if there were anything of note within city limits (and specifically near the French Quarter where I'll be staying), I should try and check it out. I'm not really familiar with the beer scene there, as it's my first time going.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, even if the gist is just "drink some beer."

Cheers!

2. SeanBond

Trader

follow-up: Not sure how the posts ON THIS PAGE didn't show up in my search, but I see them now! Mods, you can delete this if you want!

3. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Poo-Bah (2,331) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Society Trader

Near the French Quarter I'd say the bets place is Parleaux Brewing.
    But a short Uber ride will get u to the best beer spots in town:
    Avenue Pub (best beer bar)
    504 Craft Beer Reserve (best bottle shop, with drafts/bar)
    Zony Mash Beer Project (brand new brewery)
    Courtyard Brewing
    Urban South Brewing
    NOLA Brewing

SeanBond likes this.
  4. SeanBond

Trader

Perfect, thank you! Within "Uber-range" is great, and I hear nothing but good stuff about Avenue Pub.

5. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Initiate (199) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

How was the New Orleans trip? Any highlights or lowlights? I'm heading there in a few weeks!

Tilley4 likes this.
  6. craigo19

craigo19 Devotee (463) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Society Trader

I have been living here just over a month. The low light so far has been Crescent City Brewing, they are more of a restaurant than a brewpub. The highlights for brewpubs are Port Orleans, NOLA, Urban South, Courtyard, Brew Cairre(sp?) and Parleuax. My favorite beer bar is Bulldog Mid City. 504 is a cool place too, I haven't been to Avenue yet. Second Line, Royal and Miel brewing are decent, but not as good as the ones mentioned above.

7. TinFang

TinFang Zealot (550) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Society

I’m headed to NOLA this weekend for a memorial service, and this is exactly the post I was hoping to find. Thanks.

craigo19 likes this.
  8. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Poo-Bah (2,331) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Society Trader

Make sure to check out Zony Mash, new brewery with some killer brews.

9. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,244) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Avenue Pub and Courtyard Brewing are my top two recommendations for New Orleans, and they're conveniently within walking distance of each other. Avenue Pub is also killer if you enjoy whiskey, and the bonus for Courtyard is that they always have a healthy number of draft lines for other local breweries.

I travel to New Orleans or Baton Rouge several times a year for work and prefer to stay near them in the Garden District, away from the CBD and more touristy zones, but they're still close by from the French Quarter. In addition to Uber, the area is very accessible [and cheaper] by public transit (https://www.norta.com/), so I would recommend grabbing the transit app.

Since I've seen @SeanBond in Chicago threads, I'll note that there are several NOLA NEIPAs that are as good as some of the best I've had in Chicago. Keep an eye out for Ghost in the Machine or Bloom from Parish, or Jucifer from Gnarly Barley. Courtyard also makes some excellent ones, but those are the best NEIPAs that you're likely to stumble across on draft at Avenue or other good beer bars.

#9 darktronica, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:12 AM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019 at 2:18 AM
    craigo19 likes this.
  10. TinFang

TinFang Zealot (550) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Society

I’m looking them up right now. Thanks.