Visiting OEC

Discussion in 'New England' started by Aaron58, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (183) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Industry

Planning to visit OEC for my Birthday weekend in May. I gather that it's kind of off the beaten path, but what do people do for Hotels/Resaurants/etc in the area? I know Black Hog is close, any other breweries near by worth a visit?

Thanks!

2. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (102) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Favorite types of beers? I'm assuming there's a reason you're hunting out OEC.

One spot that you need to hit regardless is Counterweight in Hamden. Not my area of the state, so I can't answer the other questions.

Where are you coming from in Massachusetts? Might be some spots on the way you need to stop.

3. Aaron58

Industry

Honestly, ive hit a lot of places. We just for some reason are really interested in OECs projects. Being that its 2 hours from me, it would be kind if hard to visit without making an overnight trip out of it. We like all styles of beers, and like hitting up a new brewery/tap room regardless.

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  4. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (68) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Where are you coming from?
    If you are going through Hartford, a stop at New Park is a must. Great IPAs and Sours and they have had more traditional stuff on tap lately. Check the hours though, they are fairly limited.

5. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (62) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

Are you European (I am)? I feel like a 4 hour round trip is considered a quick after-work detour by most Americans. Always shocked to see the number of posts along the lines of “living in western PA, Hill Farmstead is a 22 hour round trip for me so I only make a beer run up there around once or twice a month. Wish I could go more”

followerofmen and SunDevilBeer like this.
  6. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (108) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

The sours at New Park are blended fruited Berliner Weisses. Just clarifying because OEC sours and New Park sours couldn't be more different. And if you get cans to go at New Park, you gotta keep them cold at all times (bring a cooler or keep them in the trunk), there's been a few can explosions with their fruited sours.

I agree with the 2nd poster, go to Counterweight in Hamden. Mikro Depot is close for food. I would skip Black Hog.

7. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (272) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

There isn’t much around OEC. I would probably start my day there having a couple pours and loading up on bottles and then get a hotel in New Haven where there is a lot more to do. I hate being in a car but I think HF and OEC are the two worth driving to.

8. YourDigitalGrave

Fair point. Should I be calling them something different?

9. YourDigitalGrave

The OP seemed to be considering a 2 hour drive long. Counter Weight is 40 minutes from OEC. Just saying.
    NEBCO is actually closer (under 30 minutes).
    I guess it could be a moot point if he gets a hotel room.

10. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (313) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

personally, if i was spending the night, i'd find a way to include Fox Farm. OEC isn't all that close to Fox Farm, but if you're staying the night, it might be possible, depending on where you are coming from in MA.

Jwale73 and WoolEnthusiast like this.
  11. Aaron58

Industry

So, let me clarify.

Ill drive 2 hours for anything. I could drive all day. But im trying to make a weekend of it for fun basically.

We are coming from Marlboro, Ma.

Thanks for all the replies!

brutalfarce likes this.
  12. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Devotee (454) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Hey man there is a hotel like 10min from OEC its in Southbury technically,
    Wyndham Southbury, not vouching its a great stay but is super close. Black hog will be very near this, theres Woodbury Brewing not great but if you are here. 2 breweries in Waterbury (bout 10-15 away) Lasting Brass and Brass Works. If you make a day/night of it I would for sure say hit Nebco/Counter Weight about 15min from each other about 25 min from said hotel. Mikro in Hamden has cool food and usually sweet tap list. Pies n Pints near hotel in Middlebury is middle of the road food but does flights and tends to have decent tap list. Can recommend more but like others said would depend on where you actually stay and how far you wanna go

Sheppard likes this.
  13. brutalfarce

Society Trader

also coming from where you are seems you'd take 84 mostly the whole way so you'd go right through Hartford/New Hartford and Manchester which has some new breweries. Kinsman, Relic and J Timothys also right off 84. So just hit Treehouse on the way down I'll take a few cans for my advice lol

14. HopQuest

HopQuest Initiate (60) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

If you go to Hamden hit Counterweight for hops and usually some interesting lagers and dark beers. Also stop at 12% new taproom in North Haven (fifteen minutes from Counterweight) they have a great space with nice on tap offerings (Fat Orange Cat, Decadent, Evil Twin, Hoof Hearted, Marlowe ...) and often have cans to go.

brutalfarce likes this.
  15. YourDigitalGrave

Yikes (from a marketing standpoint).
    Was brass invented in Waterbury or something?

16. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (333) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Waterbury is "The Brass City" Hence the names......

17. YourDigitalGrave

Makes sense but still...

18. Aaron58

Industry

Thanks a lot, great info, just what I needed!

brutalfarce likes this.
  19. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (333) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Agree. Side note: Lasting Brass is worth a stop. Brass City, not so much.

20. brutalfarce

Society Trader

agree with this but just throwing out places for him if hes in the area

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  21. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (108) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Agreed. Lasting Brass was an established homebrewer in Waterbury since 2012, with a logo, the name, etc. Was at several brewfests. Brass Works (not Brass City) was established in 2015.

When Brass Works first announced they were opening, there was a lot of chatter about the name and even the the logo being similar to Lasting Brass'.

Lasting Brass: [​IMG]

Brass Works:
    [​IMG]

And Brass Works said they'd never heard of Lasting Brass. Riiiiiiight. There was confusion then for consumers and there still is today.

brutalfarce and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  22. LKAZZI

LKAZZI Initiate (29) Aug 31, 2014 Connecticut

I'm a local (prob see ya there). OEC is a great destination to spend the better part of a day. Beers, meads/ciders, amazing coffee, bakery, greenhouse, nice deck and some big Adirondack chairs outside. Other than OEC, NEBco and counterweight are the big two toward New Haven, which is fun if you dig old city college towns (and of course great pizza). Lasting Brass is low key but great beers. Kinsman and Relic are fun and are within 30 min toward Hartford. Relic has 100s of bourbon too.

NYR-Zuuuuc and brutalfarce like this.