Visiting Portland (Fall 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"The objections to my question seem to be coming from a place of hate for de Garde"

Run a topic search in this forum if you think this is all about hype hate over dG's popularity. If there's a brewery (and brewer) that is more popular, more respected, and just more generally liked in Oregon than DG and Trevor, then I sure don't know them. That's readily apparent from reading over pretty much every dG thread in this forum.

As others have pointed out, it takes time and effort to put this post/thread together each quarter, and I know I very much appreciate Guajolote's willingness to take the task on. Every time a new seasonal post goes up, there's invariably concerns expressed that some worthy brewery, multi tap bar or restaurant has been unfairly left out, and that's without the added concern of leaving off some particularly worthy brewery, pub or restaurant from Hood River, Corvallis, Eugene, Tillamook or Bend!

2. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Wow. That escalated quickly! The simple (and only) answer for the exclusion of de Garde (or any other not-in-the-city-limits-of-Portland brewery) is location. I considered adding "Portland-area" breweries in the first few updates, but it gets way too complicated. Do I include Corvallis, Eugene, Bend, Salem, McMinnville, Hood River, Oregon City, Tillamook? If so, which do I include and which do I omit? You can see how it quickly gets untenable. Heck, the "other highly recommended" list is already controversial enough as it is. Not trying to be defensive, just trying to explain my rationale. I feel like by and large this thread (and it's previous iterations) have been helpful to Portland beercationers, but they're never going to be perfect, and they're never going to cover everything.

And for the record, I looove de Garde! I would take Citra Hose to a desert island with me. You should absolutely go there if you have the means and the time. And if there are de Garde haters in this thread (does such a thing even exist?), they can go fuck themselves right in the ear!

mudbug, digita7693, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  3. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

We aren't in Portland.
    We really shouldn't be on the list.
    There's a wealth of riches in the city proper. More than can really be explored in a few days.
    Folks that do want to make the trip out here, we excitedly welcome.
    I can make a thread, but I can summarize that Tillamook thread here:
    Go to Tillamook. Enjoy some de Garde beer (hopefully). Go to either Schooner on the coast, or Pelican in Tillamook. Go back. Probably best to bring a sober driver!
    I'm flattered we're mentioned here, but Portland needs its own thread(s).
    Thanks @Arsenal_MC for the recommendation, but I'm guessing these guys are right. :slight_smile:

rjd722, hopfenunmaltz, jrnyc and 8 others like this.
  4. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Crusader (453) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

I mean I'm not really that upset, I'm one of those people who things that Lompoc really belongs on that list. But I just honestly didn't know that people thought of it that highly, going to have to do some more visits to them I guess.

5. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In terms of walez, Portland is practically a suburb of Tillamook - it's best to set up shop out there and day trip into Portland if you so desire.

6. Bitter_Better

Bitter_Better Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Oregon

Coming from DC, the issue of travel time should be more apparent.
    If you're looking for whalez, like @dirtylou said, maybe the glut of fresh-kegged & bottled beer in PDX isn't your heart's desire.

That's really sad.

ballardbeer likes this.
  7. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

I've gone to Bend as a day trip before, quite easy in the summer :wink: (that said I really appreciate how this is PDX only cause I can't even keep up with all that haha)

BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  8. Bitter_Better

Not even trying to be malicious, really. But w/ the advent of crowlers, Boneyard might as well be a PDX brew. The RPM about town, now, is amazing. I see so many of their options, en masse, here.

Consider these "visiting..." threads a solid for the folks looking for options...& the compilation of these threads a labor of love, for those willing to compile them. I'll toast them, for you. Prost!

9. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

From my perspective, Oregonians who hate de Garde or their success are so rare as to be non-existent. Trevor makes world-class beer and participates regularly in this forum without a hint of ego or pompousness about the amazing stuff he puts out. Even if someone didn't like his beer, he clearly has a passion for what he does and isn't in it to test the upper end of pricing for the market, which everyone should appreciate. But the thing is, people like Trevor are making beer all over the state, even if you haven't heard of them. Like @vurt said, you have to draw the line somewhere, and there are more brewery options inside the PDX city limits than any other city in the world. Distilling those to a concise guide is work enough.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the Pacific Northwest! You'll notice our hospitality has a weird passive/aggressive tint. We tend to not hype our special releases the same way as other regions do, so we may appear to have a strange relationship with local breweries getting national attention. "We're glad you like it, just shut the hell up about it so we can keep the lines down."

#29 sharpski, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  10. aekoops

aekoops Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 California
    Trader

2 Questions: Heading to Portland in 2 weeks with my two buddies from growing up. Guys weekend

1) Recommendations for places to stay: hotels, specific air bnb's, etc...

2) I hear there is great drinking around the airport...? I get in a few hours before everyone else does... plan on drinking. Suggestions?

Thanks and CANNOT WAIT!!!

Adam

11. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Stop in at laurelwood at the airport for a workhorse IPA. Best beer around the airport is at the airport.

Bitter_Better likes this.
  12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The Beaches restaurant pre-security has something like 15 taps. If you're on your way out it's a good place to kill time and wait for someone.

13. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

The last update had an exchange on Da' Couve!
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...tland-summer-2015-update.311702/#post-3880026

14. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

15. Arsenal_MC

Arsenal_MC Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2013 District of Columbia
    Trader

Man! I'm gonna feel like Tony Montana walking off that plane in PDX... Hell, every great beer thread needs a bad guy!

I was thinking about keeping up my antagonistic, sarcastic tone for this reply, but I won't.

My argument was that since there are many, many BAs out there like me who only care about walez, and that the way you get to Tillamook was by way of Portland (flying), you guys might as well throw in a short blurb about getting out there, you know, for us walez slayers. The other breweries in Portland make amazing stuff too, that's why this thread could've been a one stop shop for me. But alas, I'll have to find my de Garde info elsewhere. Maybe I'll try Google Maps!

But for real, Portland is my number #1 city in the US that I haven't visited and want to (with no beer considerations), and @deGardebrewing is my #1 brewery that I haven't visited and want to.

Can't wait! And sorry that I offended your senses of organization and structure. I know they really care about that on Beer Advocate; I should've known not to make this suggestion. Cheers!

sharpski and ballardbeer like this.
  16. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Rte 26 to Rte 6. :wink:

It's like the "best beer city" type threads, folks always start saying things like "well, if you include xxx in abc's area". This is a PDX thread. Parameters should be observed, otherwise it just becomes an unruly Oregon thread. And, you're nowhere near being the worst bad guy to chime in on these threads, you'll have to try harder. I suspect, if you were to ask, several readers of this thread would be happy to meet up, and maybe show you their secret spots. It never hurts to hang with a local. Enjoy your trip.

17. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, but on a 5 day trip to Portland, how worth it is it to venture to Bend/Tillamook?

18. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I've always liked the Jupiter Hotel. Fairly reasonable prices, close to a lot of shit. Easier to park than downtown (if you have a car). If you airbnb, stick to the inner SE or the Mississippi/Vancouver/Williams area of North Portland. I've stayed at 3 or 4 airbnbs in those areas, and always had good luck.

I second the "stay at the airport" recommendation. Laurelwood won't disappoint. There's also a Henry's there now, which I haven't been to, but looked pretty good the one time I poked my head in. And prices at the airport aren't much (if any) more than what you'll find anywhere else in the city.

19. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Very. Get a start in the morning, and you'll be in Bend for lunch. Overnight in Bend, roll up to Hood River the next morning, back in PDX that night.

Bitter_Better likes this.
  20. Bitter_Better

Stop @ Sunriver...preferably w/ a growler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.