Visiting Portland (Fall 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

Bend is a great idea. So many good beer places, and a beautiful drive through some more diverse Oregon scenery.

Tillamook is different. Have you seen Dune?

Mehinaman, Aestro, dayglo and 3 others like this.
  2. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Peets buys Stumptown. Portland has no soul. Discuss.

ballardbeer and Arsenal_MC like this.
  3. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Didn't some NYC venture capital firm already own Stumptown? Portland may not have soul, but it has Heart. That's a coffee roaster pun. Drink it instead of Stumptown.

anteater, ballardbeer and digita7693 like this.
  4. Bitter_Better

Bitter_Better Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Oregon

You mean they bought Jones Soda. Plenty of craft brew, here.

5. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

There is only one way I can answer this.....

yes/yes

6. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Bend is a must. Crux, Boneyard, Goodlife, Deschutes. Visit Deschutes Brewery, not brewpub, unless you need food and want to wait at least 30 min. Brewery gives 4 free 4oz pours and usually has some limited release stuff. See this thread for all the stops. Visiting Bend/Sunriver (2015 Update)

#46 therackman, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    sharpski likes this.
  7. jahman

jahman Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2010 Oregon

If you drive through the gorge on the way to Bend, there are a number of great breweries along the way.
    http://www.breweriesinthegorge.com/

One of my favorite Oregon breweries is Thunder Island Brewery in Cascade Locks (Great Beer & Incredible views of the gorge).
    http://andreaonvacation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Thunder-Island-Brewery-view.jpg

The next stop should be Hood River, which has a number of great breweries.

Solara Brewery is also on the way as well, and is reputed to be a great place to have a beer and look out on Mount Hood.
    http://newschoolbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/2012-09-30-14.34.55.jpg

TreeBear likes this.
  8. jahman

jahman Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2010 Oregon

Kennedy School is not too far from the airport.
    http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool

Though they do not have the best beer in town, it'd be a great place to kick off a beercation.

9. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

no more puns, but, it also has Water Avenue, Coava, and newcomer Roseline.

10. digita7693

walk around Kennedy school for an hour, then drive 5mins to Breakside and get real beer.

guajolote likes this.
  11. digita7693

Great rec, with visitors I usually do an early morning hike at Eagle Creek, then Thunder Island (decent beer, great view), Hood River and pFriem for lunch w an optional visit to Dbl Mountain, then on to Solera (some very good beers and amazing view). Used to stop at Logsdon's before Solera...

12. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Twas a joke. Like heart (cafe is terrible) but give me coava and courier if I'm making a coffee stout

13. digita7693

Heart has amazing coffee! Props for the underdog mention of Courier, love that place, and a bonus it is right near NAfY:slight_smile: For (to bring this back to beer) when you are dropping off your donations for Brews for New Avenues next year:wink:

14. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just don't like their cafe (physical location) for being bland and overpriced for just a aero pour. It's like the Boneyard of cafes

15. digita7693

Aeropress? They don't do that anymore, sadly:slight_frown: But they aren't more expensive than Coava or Water Ave

16. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Courier is the first place I heard about Brews for New Avenues. I stopped in two times on a Portland visit early in 2013 and picked up a beermat that advertised the event.

At the risk of turning this post into Coffee Advocate: I have also had excellent cups of coffee at Water Avenue and Ristretto Roasters.

Obligatory beer: I haven't tried Coava coffee by itself yet, but I've had it in 2 beers from Fort George: Kentucky Girl and Java the Hop.

therackman, sharpski and digita7693 like this.
  17. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't want to get yelled at by a mod, so i'll just say - if you're heading to Hair of the Dog and need a pick me up, go to Water Street. If you're heading to, let's just say Baileys, go to Courier (you really should drink that coffee in Powell's though - buy a book about beer if you must). If you're heading to Apex, hit Coava.

therackman likes this.
  18. digita7693

De Garde also did a beer with Coava, which I loved, which debuted at Brews 2:slight_smile:

19. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

While I don't disagree with Terry or Trevor, my answer to Wesbray still has to be "it depends." 5 days in PDX is really not all that much time in the area; I think you can more than fill up your vacation stay in PDX and the Columbia gorge area, without making any side trips. To get up to Bend from PDX, expect a good 3 to 3 and half hour drive each way, and that's assuming there aren't any problems with weather or road construction (though I completely agree, it's a VERY pretty drive). Arguably, you could make Bend a day trip, but that's going to make for a very long day, with a lot of time spent on the road (as opposed to time spent back in PDX drinking good beer and eating good food). If you stay up in Bend (which is not a bad idea), then you've probably eliminated the better part of two days of your trip to PDX in Bend. Nothing wrong with that, there's plenty to see and do in Bend, but the same can be said about PDX as well. I would also add that a lot of stuff from Boneyard, Bend Brewing, Deschutes, Silver Moon, Crux and Good Life (for example), can be found fairly easily in PDX as well. Not trying to dissuade you from including Bend in your plans, but it's something to consider. Just my two cents on this, but if this is your first trip to PDX, I would skip Bend this time around, and include Bend in your next trip to PDX. :slight_smile:

Tillamook is a harder question to answer. I assume the reason you're even asking about it is that you're a huge of fan of dG beer (impressive deductive reasoning on my part, no?). Again, depending on traffic, plan on a good 90 minute drive to get to dG from PDX. I think Trevor is exaggerating a bit regarding Tillamook's "charms," but yeah, outside of the tasting room and the Pelican facility in town (and of course the Cheese Factory tour), there's not all that much to do in the area. Of course you can always drive up to Cannon Beach and Astoria (another very pretty, scenic drive), and drive back to PDX via hiway 26/sunset hiway. However, once again that's going to make for a LOT of driving (5 or 6 hours all told), but it's certainly doable (and it will likely allow you to try a lot of dG stuff that you won't be able to sample otherwise). The Tillamook side trip probably comes down to just how big a fan of dG you are. Assuming you're a big fan of their stuff, it would be my recommendation that you include Tillamook in your vacation plans, and consider heading up to Astoria as part of your trip as well.

Have fun!

#59 John_M, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    rjd722, jbakajust1, Aestro and 4 others like this.
  20. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As much as I love to promote Bend, a first time visit to Portland is probably best spent in Portland rather than spending time leaving and returning to the city. If/when you come back on another trip, side excursions to other OR towns makes more sense. If you're set on a side excursion this time, Tillamook and the rest of the coast is probably a more efficient day trip than Hood River/Bend. Come back next summer for Bend, Hood River, and other great OR beer towns!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.