Visiting Portland (Fall 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Totally agree. Bend as a day trip? YIKES! but even as staying one night, which would be a shame, id say minimum 2nights, if not 3-4 if you are going to do some hiking and see some of the great breweries.

Day trips to de Garde and Hood River work, but Bend, that is a haul!

2. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

I should have added the caveat - without a car.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I miss that beer. Cornelio Nunez was awesome.

digita7693 and JouerAvecLeFeu like this.
  4. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Much easier with a helicopter

wesbray likes this.
  5. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

The best way to get to de Garde is by dirigible...

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  6. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I hear de Garde will also validate parking too!!!

7. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

So guessing public transport to those places is pretty much non-existent? :wink:

8. JouerAvecLeFeu

Pooh-Bah Society

Not exactly public transportation... There are buses (Tillamook here, Bend here), but you're going probably going to waste a day traveling each way.

9. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I know I was assuming you had a car, and suspect everyone else was too. All the maybes about side trips kinda went out the window with that caveat. You should definitely stay in Portland the entire time; venturing out on side trips without your own vehicle would be too costly in time and money vs. all the opportunity in PDX.

10. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Missed that too. The maps and 'pub crawl' recommendations on this first post should give you a good start. In five days though I am willing to bet you will find something not covered in the above. Which makes Portland a cool place to visit.

digita7693, vurt and sharpski like this.
  11. JouerAvecLeFeu

Pooh-Bah Society

Here's the thing... With the exception of de Garde¹ and The Ale Apothecary², you can pretty much find any beer produced in Oregon somewhere in Portland. Luckily, most of the tap rooms around town list their beers online - which can help you figure out where to go. And if no one has that one beer you're looking for, check Apex. You'll pay thru the nose for it, but they usually have it. And it's definitely cheaper than a bus ride to Bend.
    _ _ _

¹Occasionally you can de Garde bottles in town, but it's been months since anything has been available - and you'd have to fight the locals for it anyway.

²There's a few places where you can regularly find The Ale Apothecary, but most of them are for on site consumption only.

sharpski, Spaceloaf and distantmantra like this.
  12. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sahalie bottles at Belmont Station as of yesterday in case anyone's looking

Aestro likes this.
  13. bfields4

bfields4 Savant (1,137) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

This is a sacrilege question I know, but do any of the breweries or taprooms in PDX have good tv set up? I'm in town on Saturday and would love to watch the royals with a good beer. Before I get the snarky, answer yes I know what a sports bar is. If there's any with a good draft selection though.. that might be a thought.

14. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Growler guys

digita7693 and vurt like this.
  15. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've watched a few sporting events (World Cup, Stanley Cup) at the Growler Guys location on SE 8th, right around the corner from Cascade Barrel House. The room isn't too big, there are big TVs up in the corners, and you can get pints. Can't guarantee that they'll have the game on, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Tap list: http://www.thegrowlerguys.com/what's-on-tap/oregon-portland/

Edit: Great minds, @therackman !

therackman likes this.
  16. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Blitz Ladd & Claudia's are both more traditional sports bars with good/very good tap lists. They'll definitely be showing the game. Blitz Ladd is also very close to Beermongers & APEX, and literally next door to Baerlic.

17. TaborTime

TaborTime Pundit (928) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Will definitely have the Royals game on. Regular season baseball=:slight_frown: Playoff baseball=:grinning:

digita7693, bfields4 and vurt like this.
  18. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Was going to second this recommendation until I saw the post from Branden. If PDX Growler Guys has the royals game on, and that's the only sports event you're interested in, then it goes without saying that you should go there.

Have fun.

(and by the way... if you're expecting a Eugene like GG experience at the PDX GG's, be prepared for a very big, and very pleasant, surprise)

digita7693 and bfields4 like this.
  19. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hmmm. I'm going to be in Astoria this weekend. Does that mean I shouldn't expect a Portland-like GG experience if I check out the GG up there..?

20. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can't say. I've never been to the one up there.

However, the PDX GG has a considerably better and more varied tap selection than the one we have here in Eugene. I think it's also considerably superior to the ones I've been to in Bend, though those were pretty good (with once again, a generally superior selection to the one we have here in Eugene).

digita7693 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.