Visiting San Antonio and Austin - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by TheGent, Apr 13, 2018.

1. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,229) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Folks of Texas. I have searched the forum and come up with the below list of places that sound interesting to me while I am in San Antonio from Monday to Wednesday.

Hoping you can share any other suggestions for bars, restaurants, or breweries while in town, and specifically, bottle shops withselections of local offerings.

I arrive in Austin on Sunday and will be spending the night there. The only definitive Austin stop at this point is Jester King. Driving down to San Antonio on Monday morning and there through Wednesday.

Thanks so much!

Southerleigh
    Freetail
    Weathered Souls
    The Granary
    Cured
    The luxury
    The Flying Saucer
    GS221

Txex06 likes this.
  2. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

3. Avelasquez80

Avelasquez80 Initiate (89) Jul 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Check out Northwest Food Mart, they always have good stuff there.

OakvilleKGB, Txex06 and TheGent like this.
  4. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Make sure if you're getting food at the granary to go at lunch. They don't do BBQ by the pound for dinner. Also go to cured for happy hour if you can. $0.50 quail legs and half priced drinks.

Txex06 and TheGent like this.
  5. TheGent

Premium Trader

Thanks for the suggestions guys

6. jamescain

One more thing @TheGent I recommend liberty bar over the luxury. They got caught a few years ago storing their food in one of their restrooms over night and it makes me question what they don't get caught doing. Sit upstairs at liberty bar and you'll enjoy the food much more (I highly recommend the goat cheese appetizer).

TheGent likes this.
  7. TheGent

Premium Trader

I went to make a lunch reservation at Granary and it says they have no tables open. Is this the type of place where you need a reservation for lunch or is it easy enough to just walk in? Thanks.

8. TheGent

Premium Trader

Haha ok thanks. It’s going to be hard for me to forget that!

9. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Hope you enjoy your visit, let us know how it goes. Cheers.

10. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (135) May 29, 2005 New Mexico

Wherever you visit in Austin, allow for an extra 30 minutes for waiting in line. It seems to be a part of Austin culture. Or it could be the tourists who wait. Hard to gauge as I was only there for the first time a few weeks back. But there sure were a lot of people waiting in a lot of lines.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  11. jamescain

I don't think they do reservations at lunch

12. treznor

treznor Zealot (524) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Make sure to hit Jester King on Sunday, they aren't open on Monday. Plus on Sunday they'll have both the front and back bars open (we were there last Friday and the back bar wasn't open). Lots of options to drink and they have a number of Spons to go right now.

Places that people in our group went and enjoyed included:
    Franklin's (probably not an option for you)
    Pinthouse Pizza
    Bangers

We had a fairly large group though so needed to go to places that could handle a large group fairly easily but still be beer-centric.

13. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (94) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

Celis in Austin, Freetail in San Antonio.

14. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (308) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Pinthouse Pizza in Austin is a must.

The Lamar location is the one you wanna go to; not their other location.

IMO - Electric Jellyfish is the best IPA in Texas and the food there is off the charts.

Jbuitron likes this.
  15. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

I've never understood this sentiment even the slightest bit. The Burnet location (the original) has a lot of great stuff on tap every week. EJ is definitely not measurably better than a bunch of other IPAs they do. It's also available around town at a lot of places.
    Unless you think they are nailing all these other non-IPA styles, which Lamar has more of, then it's pretty much a wash on any given week.

16. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,344) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I was just there this past weekend and I experienced no lines. Not even at Jester King. FWIW.

17. aschwab

aschwab Devotee (492) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Releases at JK don't get the lines they used to.

18. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (51) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Halfway between Austin and San Antonio stop at Guadalupe Brewing Company in New Braunfels. A hidden gem in my opinion.