Visiting Seattle (Fall 2015 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended metropolitan-area Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Black Raven Brewing
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
    Machine House Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Hudson Public House
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern
    The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    99 Bottles
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Full Throttle Bottle
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Malt & Vine
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Chippy's Fish and Drink
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    The Yard Cafe
    Twisted Pasty

2. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

wanted to say thanks for all the recs and advice (on previous thread), had a great weekend in Seattle. Holy Mountain was probably my favorite spot, went there twice. Also enjoyed Fremont and Reuben's. Made it to the Pine Box, Brouwer's Cafe and Bottleworks too.

3. Rocket80

Rocket80 Nov 18, 2011 California

Glad to see this updated right before my trip - I'll be coming in this Thursday for a long weekend. Got one day set aside (can't decide if Friday or Saturday) for the Fremont to Reubens and Stoup crawl, anyone have a suggestion as to which direction to do it? We'd like to do brunch on one end and dinner on the other if possible, don't necessarily need beer-focused restaurants - and we'll be taking public transit there and back from Belltown. Kinda looking at Giddy Up for a mid-way stop (looks like they have Black Raven on Georgetown beers on, 2 places I likely won't be able to make it to on this trip so their current list caught my attention.)

Beyond that I'll find a time to check out Holy Mountain, and then do the usual touristy stuff.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

definitely go ballard to fremont. have dinner at joule (2 blocks away from fremont), and if there's a wait, you can go drink at fremont while you wait. i don't have a big opinion on where to brunch, but senor moose, hattie hat's or portage bay are all fine restaurants.

Rocket80 likes this.
  5. BuckeyeOne

I agree that Ballard to Fremont is the way to go. Joule is definitely a great suggestion. But if you do want beer-focused restaurants, both Brouwer's and Sixgill in Fremont have really good food IMO. Brouwer's has the best lamb burger I've ever had. The Hi-Life and Portage Bay are the best brunch spots in Ballard but expect long waits. I hear Portage Bay now takes reservations, even for brunch. You might want to check that out.

Rocket80 and ballardbeer like this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

For all my issues with the place, I agree, the food is great at Brouwers. Beer selection is also among the best in the city.

Rocket80 likes this.
  7. Rocket80

Thanks of the advice - damn, now I have some thinking to do - was actually already considering Joule for brunch Saturday, then Fremont and onward. What I did not mention before is that we'll have the 1 year old with us so we want to keep the dining casual (while still eating at the great places). Bringing her to a nice restaurant on a Saturday night is fun for nobody, brunches and lunches are much more manageable. This also seems to rule out Brouwers Cafe and Sixgill unfortunately (I'm gonna have to ditch them at some point on the trip to squeeze in a quick Holy Mountain visit and I'll only get to play that card once).

Second question - any recs on decent bottle shops in Belltown? Not looking to fly anything home, just somewhere to grab a bomber and/or six-pack or two of a local brewery for the room…Thanks again for all the help.

kemoarps likes this.
  8. Texwild

Texwild May 1, 2008 Washington

Brouwers is indeed awesome. However, it is not kid friendly. You can get any food to go and bring it to our UBG with your family and chillax. Many great organic fresh hop and barrel aged beers on now...all hail the Fall when we go to brew and release more sales of beer.

Rocket80, sharpski and TheBungyo like this.
  9. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Go down to the Pike Place Market and stop by Pear Delicatessen for bottles. They usually have an outstanding selection crammed into a small(ish) space. Often they have beer that has long been sold out elsewhere.

Rocket80 likes this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I'll throw in for a South of SODO (SoSODO?) brewery crawl: Two Beers, Schooner Exact, Machine House, Epic, and I think a couple more are sorta-ish close together. Might need a driver for it though.

11. ballardbeer

epic ales (aka gastropod) is no longer open in sodo. they're starting a new restaurant (mollusk) in SLU.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

But I thought they were keeping the brew facility open?

13. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I've never brought my 3 1/2 year old daughter to Joule (my wife and I always reserve it for date nights), but they do have high chairs and I've seen kids there before.

Revel is Joule's sister restaurant in Fremont (same block as Brouwers) and they're much less "fancy" and kid friendly. Always have a few nice local beers on tap, too.

If you're willing to venture a bit off the beaten North Seattle path, Hudson Public House has really good food, a great tap list and is kid friendly. The Yard Cafe in Greenwood would also be a great kid friendly spot for dinner and beer.

I'll second Pear Delicatessan in the Pike Place Market. Best option in that part of downtown.

#13 distantmantra, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Rocket80 likes this.
  14. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

That was the original plan, but they posted on facebook awhile back that they were closing it and just going to concentrate on the new Mullusk Restaurant & Brewery. So now one less Epic brewery.

15. distantmantra

Trader

Epic had a big fire sale of beer at the SoDo location as well. Looked like they didn't want to take bottles with them to SLU.

Speaking of Epic, has their beer quality improved in the last year or so? I like Cody and his vision, but aside from Party Time! Ale I don't really care for his stuff. I know they got a new yeast strain a while back from Upright, but I still wasn't digging the beer.

16. scstephs22

scstephs22 May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

I am coming to seattle of thursday-sunday and am looking for good not bitter IPAs to try!! I am somewhat new to craft beer and have not really had an IPA i liked!! but i have heard seattle makes some good ones!! any suggestions??

17. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I tend to like Schooner Exacts 3 Grid IPA as a not too bitter IPA, tends to fall more towards the floral, IMHO. Naked City generally has a variety of IPAs on tap at a given time. Enjoy your visit.

ballardbeer likes this.
  18. ballardbeer

this thursday? go to pine box for their fresh hop event. fresh-hopped beers tend to have less bitterness and more flavor/aroma, and you'll have plenty to try.

19. TheBungyo

Which of your local IPA's have you tried?

Personally I find our hoppy beers in the NW to be far more bitter than stuff in New England (and my preference is for a good amount of bitterness personally) so if the stuff out there is too hoppy for you, I doubt you'll find what you're looking for here.

Are you going to have access to a car and the time to visit some beer bars or breweries?

20. BuckeyeOne

This is like the third time I've read something like this. I haven't found this to be true in general, but have found instances of it. The reason I find statements like this curious is that hop freshness, in and of itself, should have nothing to do with bitterness. If the brewer adds a good amount of high alpha fresh hops during the bitter stage, this fresh hop beer is going to be bitter. Period. Freshness, again, has nothing to do with it.

But I'm wondering if brewers, in brewing their fresh hop beers, specifically choose to use their hops in abundance or exclusively late addition. Inquiring minds want to know.

21. ballardbeer

it's anecdotal evidence, for what it's worth. my experience has been fresh hops add a mouthfeel and flavor profile that cuts the bitterness similar to a more malt-forward IPA. it's obviously still bitter, but it's not nearly as one-dimensional as some classic IPAs have been.

i'd like to know what most brewers do as well, but my guess is that most brewers add regular additions for bitterness (not fresh), then hop-burst like crazy with fresh hops.

kemoarps likes this.
  22. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Like you, I have had fresh hop beers that were plenty bitter, and find that characterization puzzling. I'm trying to confirm with each brewery whether they are using 100% fresh hops or any dried products (whether cones, pellets, or extract) in their fresh hop beers. I've been surprised at the number of beers with 100% fresh hop bills, considering the extra volume necessary due to moisture content. I believe Cowiche is 100% fresh hops, but most of my other favorites save the fresh hops for late addition or wet hopping.

23. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I am heading to Seattle the first week in November for work, flying in Sunday morning. Any good suggestions for the best beer bar/brewery that will have NFL on the boob tubes?

24. Rocket80

After all the great advice I got from this thread (and the previous one) I figured it would be appropriate to report back.

We flew in on Thursday and after we had dinner (picked up some local takeout - amazing take-out btw, chili sesame korean something'er'other? and a bottle of Black Raven Trickster at a nearby market - it was good, met my needs for dinner) and settled into the airbnb apartment I took an Uber over to Holy Mountain to hopefully meet my cousin - well they close at 9pm on Thursdays and he couldn't make it down by then, so I sat at the bar myself for the last hour of the day, and all I can say about the experience is that my very high expectations were exceeded. Sat at the bar, the service was excellent, the bartenders friendly and informative, and it wasn't crowded - had 4 6oz tasters, Citra Extra, Ox, BBA Kings Head and Ritual….4 different styles, and very well might have been the 4 best beers of the trip. Maybe it's just some confirmation bias, but all of them were amazing. Picked up a bottle of Seer to-go and drank it later on in the weekend, also one of my top beers. Bummed I didn't make it back at least once again considering they released 3 bottles the next day...

Anyway, Friday I had a Georgetown Pale Ale at the top of the Space Needle - I liked it. Had another beer at Serious Pie for dinner, but my god that pizza was amazing, overshadowed whatever beer I had.

Saturday was the big brewery day - and it was pouring rain. Had brunch at a place called Tilikum Cafe, I'd recommend it, it served it's brunch purpose. Took a bus to the first stop at Reuben's Brews - loved the vibe and atmosphere of the place, bartender was super cool and friendly - they had 24 beers on tap so it was difficult to chose a few tasters, I'll be honest I was a tiny bit disappointed nothing jumped out at me, none of them were sour or barrel-aged - having said that everything we had was solid and good, just nothing particularly "exotic" for lack of a better word - favorite for both myself and my wife was the Expat IPA. Got to chatting with a local couple trying really hard to convince us to go to Peddler's Brewery (never heard of it….) over Stoup next - Bartender confirmed I was on the right track with Stoup.

Walked over to Stoup, timing worked out since it started pouring once we got in. The beers impressed me, the service didn't, but to be fair it was pretty busy and rainy. The IPA's were all right on point and I could see why people liked this place. At this point we had a bit of extra time so we stopped at Lucky Envelope based on the "recommendation" of both my cousin and the bartender at RB - I put it in quotes because it was only recommended as a third option, if we had time, after RB and Stoup. At this point I'm a bit hazy, but there was a Peanut Butter stout I found pretty enjoyable.

After that we bussed over to Fremont, where I really liked the vibe and atmosphere of the place - lots of little kids running around (we did have our one year old…), plenty of seating, bartenders were cool and helpful. Really enjoyed the beers - then again 2 of my 5 tasters were '14 and '15 bba Dark Star…I preferred '15, my wife preferred '14, go figure….can't recall the others I was just enjoying the place at that point. Picked up a bottle of BA Dark Star that I shared with my cousin the following night and it was even better then if you ask me. We actually did end up having dinner at Joule, food was great, service was great…can't recommend it enough.

Sunday we had some drinks at Rachel's Ginger Beer - love that stuff (it has the word beer in it so I'm considering it worth mentioning). Also stopped at Pike Brewing….I enjoyed watching the football that was on the tv, that's all I have to say positively about that….oh and they had some really cool merchandise but I couldn't bring myself to buy any. Also stopped at Pear Delicatessen and drank a Black Raven session pale ale at a table - definitely a cool spot to chill with a good beer.

Monday we missed the flight back to LA - as I was resigned to drinking GI IPA at the sports bar in the Alaska terminal for the next 4 hours, I walked the entire thing and found a nice little place called Seattle Taproom and had a couple beers from local breweries I wasn't able to visit during the trip. If you end up with time at the airport, check it out - there are worse options.

Anyway - I wrote a fucking book, but we had a blast and a lot of it was thanks to the help from this thread, so thanks! If anyone's planning a trip down to Los Angeles I'd be happy to return the favor with some advice or pointers. Thanks again!

25. distantmantra

Trader

:wink:

Glad you had fun in our fair city. Don't tell your friends. :wink:

kemoarps, Rocket80, CaptainQ and 4 others like this.
  26. TheBungyo

What area are you staying in? Many places will have football on so your area will help to narrow down suggestions more relevant for you.

27. Valleyview06

Trader

Not sure what the name of the area is, but I am staying at the Waterfront Hotel, looks to be a couple blocks from Pike's Place Market.

28. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

There's no "S" in the name of the market.:wink: That'll put ya right downtown, so ya might as well hit up Pike. I don't remember if they have TVs or not. You won't have any trouble finding a place, unless there is a specific game you want to watch while the Seacows are playing. Just south of downtown is Pioneer Square, with a very high density of bars. enjoy your visit!

distantmantra likes this.
  29. Valleyview06

Trader

Lol, I thought about keep it at "Pike", but I always order it "Pike's" when I am at Starbucks - typical tourist stuff I guess. :wink:

Thanks for the advice @beertunes. The Eagles aren't playing so I will concentrate a little more on the quality of places I visit, while sprinkling in a little pigskin. Altstadt looks pretty solid...

30. distantmantra

Trader

Just remember: In Seattle, Pike is a street (Place). Not a person.

BBThunderbolt and BuckeyeOne like this.
  31. chinochino

chinochino Jul 29, 2013 Washington

One of my pre game pre funk favorites when I am in the mood for German grub. I believe they source their sausages from Uli's. Which is right up the street from you. They got beer too. They close at 6 though.

You are right next to a neighborhood called 'Belltown'. Been a while since I frequented that area but I am pretty sure there is beer still there.

I 'heard' the bar at the Marriot has a decent beer selection. Can't confirm this personally though.........

32. Valleyview06

Trader

Many thanks @chinochino. Solid avatar too.

33. TheBungyo

Probably depends on how many options you want. If you're OK with just one TV and want to stay in your area I'd probably go with Collin's Pub. I very respectfully disagree with beertunes and would suggest not spending much time at all at Pike Pub. Their beers do nothing at all for me and with limited time in Seattle I wouldn't waste precious minutes there!

34. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

If you can post up at the bar, you'll have good views of two TV's. Both TV's were playing the red zone network today (at least before the Seahawks game) - kind of a strange taplist, probably the worst I've seen at Collins (which generally has a taplist that appeals to me)

I've been to Pike once in my life. No.

#34 dirtylou, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    TheBungyo likes this.
  35. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, my thought was that since he's staying right there, and he'll probably swing by the Market at least once, and he'll probably drop into Pear Market to grab some bottles, might as well stop by Pike. I know it's touristy, and not our greatest brewery, but I'm yet to have a bad experience there. Which is something I can't say about some of our most highly rated places.

36. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

Hey all, great reading thus far. In town and staying at Hyatt Regency Bellevue and literally in town for 36 hours as I fly out tomorrow on the red eye. Planning to hit Freemont to hopefully get KDS and coffee KDS. If I strike out, any suggestions near the brewery or in Bellevue I can hit a shop to bring a few bottles home? I'm going to need the strong stuff if the Cubs keep this crap up. Thanks in advance, can't wait to drink some good local beers tonight! And feel free to BM me if you don't wanna share too many honey holes :-)

37. BuckeyeOne

I was at the brewery yesterday and there were plenty of both. Also, both were on tap.

Flabbyjandro likes this.
  38. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

My friend has a welding business, and today he posted a pic on FB of some work he's doing at Cloudburst. Hopefully, they'll be brewing soon.

Yes, this is my beer related reason to bump the thread.

kemoarps, TheBungyo and distantmantra like this.
  39. distantmantra

Trader

If anyone is having a hard time finding Coffee KDS, I saw a ton at my corner pharmacy tonight while getting Gatorade for my sick kid. Shocked me.

I mean, it's still available at PCC, but buying one at a mom and pop pharmacy is pretty random. And cool.

40. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

What would really be cool, is if you sent me a BM with the name and address of the pharmacy. :-)

woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.