Visiting Seattle (Spring 2015 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended metropolitan-area Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Black Raven Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Georgetown Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
    Schooner Exact

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Hudson Public House
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern
    The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    99 Bottles
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Full Throttle Bottle
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Malt & Vine
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.

Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Chippy's Fish and Drink
    Eureka! Seattle
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    The Yard Cafe
    Twisted Pasty

2beerdogs, mabermud, greg4579 and 9 others like this.
  2. mrw1zard

mrw1zard Apr 5, 2013 Alabama

My neighbor has some friends coming in next week from Seattle and they offered to bring some beer. Is there anything in particular that you would recommend that I ask for them to bring? I don't know what their beer knowledge is, so I'd like to just keep it easy to find stuff, and I'd like local offerings if possible. Just not sure who bottles/cans and what would be worth while. For what it is worth, I enjoy just about everything - with a preference towards Belgians, saisons, pale ales and sours, but really anything is good.
    Thanks!

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

6-packs of cans of Bale Breaker Field 41 Pale and Top Cutter IPA are easily available and excellent.

sharpski likes this.
  4. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I would recommend Sound Brewery if you like Belgian style. Their Dubbel, Tripel, and Monk's Indiscretion are all very good and easy to find in bombers. Fremont Summer Ale is a real tasty pale ale that's available in 12oz cans.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  5. mrw1zard

mrw1zard Apr 5, 2013 Alabama

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies. I see some tasty new beers in my future!
    Cheers!

kemoarps likes this.
  6. SeaAle

Also, not much for locally bottled sours here. You can easily find Almanac, but they're from California. Not much local Saisons either. Hilliard's is the only one I can think of right now. It's another beer available in cans. It's okay, but I'm not a big Saison fan.

7. BuckeyeOne

Depends upon what you mean by local. I would consider Cascade and Logsdon local if we're talking about the PNW. But, yes, Seattle (and Washington, generally) does not produce a ton of (if any) readily-available, bottled sours.

8. HectorB

HectorB Sep 21, 2013 New York

Definitely try to get a bottle of Logsdon Seizon Brett if you can. Both the regular and oak-aged are incredible.

9. SeaAle

Yeah, I'm talking Washington beers. Specifically the Puget Sound area. I don't consider Oregon beers being local in Seattle.

10. BuckeyeOne

We are agreed on the lack of "local" Seattle sours, etc. However, suggesting CA beers when there are really, really good sours coming from our immediate PNW neighbors to the south in Oregon seemed odd to me.

11. SeaAle

I only mentioned them because you can find them everywhere. Cascade and Logsdon not so much. He mentioned beers easy to find.

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  12. JBiersky

JBiersky May 23, 2014 Virginia

Other than Top Cutter and Bale Breaker, are there any other quality PNW IPA's that you guys would recommend? Thinking about bringing some bottles back after I visit here in a few weeks.

13. broogooroo

broogooroo May 30, 2003 Oregon

I'd move Holy Mountain up into that top tier of brewery-taps worth visiting. This will be the one to watch. If you're there and there are any bottles of the Third Nail left, buy them.

TheBungyo, checktherhyme and Jinxed like this.
  14. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Dec 24, 2012 Washington

This would be my Washington 12 pack

Blimey That's Bitter!
    Cowiche Canyon
    The Brother / Sister
    Triple Trifecta
    Spring Elixir
    Topcutter
    Trickster IPA
    Birdserker Triple IPA
    Humulo Nimbus
    Crikey IPA
    Homo Erectus
    Sky Hag

OldGriz and kemoarps like this.
  15. Drucifer

Drucifer Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

Hey all, this thread (and the prior thread) has been quite useful. However, I'm having some issues finding a good beer bar that will be open around noon on Sunday and will be showing playoff hockey on TVs. Fremont brewing looks open, but from what I can tell there are no TVs. Anyone know of a bar in the Fremont or Downtown area with great craft beer, playoff hockey, and will be open early on Sunday?

16. BuckeyeOne

It's not in Fremont or downtown but Cooper's Ale House opens at noon on Sundays and they will definitely put hockey on one of their many TVs if you ask.

kemoarps and Drucifer like this.
  17. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

18. JBiersky

JBiersky May 23, 2014 Virginia

Fantastic list! Much appreciated!

19. BuckeyeOne

Unfortunately, a number of those IPAs are quite limited, draft only and/or not available at this time. Those would include Blimey That's Bitter, Cowiche Canyon, The Brother, Triple Trifecta, Spring Elixir, Birdserker, and Crikey.

kemoarps, BBThunderbolt and Kmccabe33 like this.
  20. HectorB

Any recommendations for good food and beer in the heart of downtown? Doesn't need to be beer- centric, just nice food and some decent taps. A good Sunday brunch with a nice stout on tap would be great! Thanks.

#20 HectorB, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  21. jarbroen

jarbroen Jul 21, 2014 Washington

If you want good brunch my favorite is Skillet. It's up on Capital Hill. Limited but decent beer selection and awesome grub.

22. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Jul 15, 2010 California

I'm flying in tomorrow from Los Angeles so perfect timing putting this together....keep those recommendations coming!

23. dayglo

dayglo Jan 15, 2009 Washington

Eater Seattle has a pretty decent list of maps for places worth eating at with specifics for certain types of request.

Heres a brunch map: http://seattle.eater.com/maps/23-seattle-brunch-picks-worth-putting-on-pants-for-2

24. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Seattle is a really good food, and beer, town, so it shouldn't be difficult to find something. That said, check the restaurant listings on The Stranger: http://www.thestranger.com/ . Seattle Weekly too: http://www.seattleweekly.com/

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  25. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

it might be worth noting the wurst place as M-F only. went on saturday and they apparently have new hours.

26. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

it's a short distance from downtown, but brave horse tavern should satisfy your brunch needs. it's most definitely beer-centric. little on the pricey side is my only complaint.

27. Mantooth

Mantooth Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina

Great thread - this NC boy will be in Seattle/Portland July 19-24, can't wait to check out some of your suggestions.

That being said - locals, anything noteworthy going on specific to the dates I'll be in the area? I know it's three months away... but thought I'd ask just in case.

Cheers!

28. SeaAle

The Oregon Brewers Fest starts on the 22nd and runs through the 26th in Portland. Can't think of anything noteworthy in Seattle during that time.

29. crowellbw

crowellbw Dec 1, 2010 Washington

Skillet had a Ballard location too

30. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Skillet Diner in Ballard has had some Holy Mountain stuff on tap recently, too. I go there regularly with my wife and daughter.

My favorite brunch in the city is The Butcher and Baker in Green Lake. It's right across the street from Latona Pub and has cans/bottles of PNW craft beer.

31. HectorB

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be staying downtown at the Westin. Won't have a car or much free time, and would like to find places within walking distance.

32. BuckeyeOne

While I don't know anything about their beer selection, but my favorite downtown brunch is at Lola. Lola is only a couple of blocks or so away from the Westin.

HectorB likes this.
  33. crowellbw

crowellbw Dec 1, 2010 Washington

Hit up pear delicatessen near pikes place of you are looking for a good bottle selection. It's really the only 'bottle shop' in easy walking distance there.

34. HectorB

Any reason Yard House gets no love on the list? They had the best selection of anywhere I've visited so far.

35. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Most people in the NW dislike chains when it comes to beer.

And as for selection, I guess it comes down to what you look for in a taplist. There are lots of solid beers there but nothing you can't find anywhere else.

36. HectorB

They had Hop Venom and Crikey, which I haven't found anywhere else.

37. BuckeyeOne

I appreciate that you were able to find beers to your liking at Yard House. Besides that fact that NW BAs tend not to go to corporate chains, we're also skeptical of places with over a 100 taps. In the past, this usually meant at least two things --- stale IPAs and dirty taplines. No thanks.

I assembled this list from must-hit and highly recommended places based on frequent comments from the usual suspects posting/commenting here. The locals almost never bring up Yard House.

38. HectorB

I appreciate your comments about corporate chains, etc (and most certainly appreciate this great thread). But yard House was packed when I visited, most of the other places not so much. So someone apparently likes the place.

39. TheBungyo

Hop Venom is great, but honestly it pops up on tap all over the place. It's a fairly common beer, despite you not seeing it elsewhere.

Crikey is wonderful, and I don't see it around as much as Hop Venom. But it's still far from uncommon and has even been bottled before. Most people don't have that place on their radar (I've never even been there and don't really intend to visit any time soon) since most of us would rather not hang out at a chain restaurant.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  40. TheBungyo

Probably not packed with the type of beer geek that frequents sites like BA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.