Visiting Seattle (Spring 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended metropolitan-area Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Black Raven Brewing
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Hudson Public House
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern
    The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    99 Bottles
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Full Throttle Bottle
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Malt & Vine
    Pear Delicatessen
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Chippy's Fish and Drink
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Quinn's Pub
    The Yard Cafe

2. dayglo

dayglo Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2009 Washington

FYI: Chippy's closed down in February. It was replaced by Marine Hardware

3. bwelch21

bwelch21 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Wisconsin

Any recommendations on the best place to fill a growler in Seattle, specifically for places that will let you bring your own growler? I noticed that Fremont allows you to bring in outside growlers. What about other breweries, bars, etc.?

4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,105) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Almost everywhere in the state of WA that fills growlers lets you bring your own. Cloudburst only does pre-filled growlers at the moment, so you'd have to buy one of theirs, but that's the only exception.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  5. bwelch21

Good to hear - thanks. We're not so fortunate here in WI.

6. distantmantra

Trader

Bars are random about doing fills. Some do, some don't. Breweries and bottle shops like Chucks, Beer Junction, etc. are your best bet.

7. Cam9191

Cam9191 Initiate (106) Nov 12, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I visited Seattle last week. My favorite stop was The Beer Junction and I crapped my pants when I saw they were selling De Garde bottles. I had to grab one so I'm curious, what's De Garde's distribution as right now? I thought people had to buy bottles from their brewery in Oregon.

#7 Cam9191, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  8. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (279) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

There's limited distro of certain beers. Grand Blanc and Grand Rouge are the most recent bottles that have seen distro. But yes, most of their beers are only sold at the brewery.

sjantiflow and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Crusader (754) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I think they're distributed by leprechauns or gnomes or something... Their bottles magically appear and then quickly disappear.

10. Cam9191

Cam9191 Initiate (106) Nov 12, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Yes! I grabbed a Grand Rogue bottle. Is it recommended to drink it fresh or...?

11. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,308) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

As a note; WA law allows any "sealable" container to be filled as a growler, but the original label has to be removed. In other words, you get milk jugs, pop bottles, nalgene waterbottles, pretty much any damn thing filled. The Nalgene option is popular around my area, for taking to the park, or on dog walks. Gotta stay hydrated.:wink:

kemoarps likes this.
  12. bwelch21

This is good to know. Was going to bring a growler with another brewery's logo but now will see if I have blank ones...

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

That don't matter. It's just that you can't put beer in something labeled, say, Coke. It might confuse the children. Logo'd growlers are fine, just take the label off if it originally held something other than beer.

EdwardAbbey, Arassuil and bwelch21 like this.
  14. distantmantra

Trader

Logo growler is absolutely fine. No one cares. We're not California.

15. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (33) Aug 15, 2014 North Carolina

I've been living in Seattle since August but have yet to find a bar with a foosball table! Please help, I'm going crazy!!! Haha, I think I might have heard Two Beers might have one?

16. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Washington

Generally speaking the brewery is the only place to get the VAST majority of their offerings. In the past year and a half we've seen: Grand Rouge, Grand Blanc, Petit Desay, Saison Premiere, and Bu Weisse (*if I've forgotten any maybe someone can add to the list.) Each time, they've come and gone quite quickly. I don't believe that we've ever seen anything fruited up here (*again, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The fruited stuff can potentially fade a bit but if it's not fruited I've noticed no reason that you have to drink fresh aside from enjoying it rather than having a display piece.

17. distantmantra

Trader

That's the full list, you've got it right. I've actually been impressed with the number of releases we've seen in WA recently. Second shipment of Petit Desay alongside Grand Rouge, too.

jtirpak22 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

There's a soccer-oriented bar up on 34th(-35th-36th? that main drag from Fremont towards Ballard) that has one, IIRC.

19. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,188) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Did Dante's in the U-District reopen after that fire? They had multiple fooseball tables; banked corners too, none of this 3-man goalie shit.

20. distantmantra

Trader

Not yet. I live really close to Dantes and run by it a lot. The sign says remodeling but I haven't heard anything in a long time.

sharpski likes this.
  21. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Someone told me just the other day that Lantern Brewing up in North Seattle has one. It's a place I've neglected for too long and will be visiting soon.

distantmantra likes this.
  22. jtirpak22

Easy to neglect given its location and that it doesn't open until 4 on Saturdays. I went over there after a stop at Naked City last summer around 230 in the afternoon. Having not check the hours I found they were closed. I suppose bad on me for not checking, but c'mon man, it's mid-afternoon on a weekend in the summer and you're not open?

kemoarps likes this.
  23. distantmantra

Trader

Someone should tell that to Noble Fir.

24. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

heading out next week form NJ .. thank you for the spots to hit up

25. jtirpak22

The late opening at Noble Fir (and The Sixgill) also baffles me a bit, especially being in Ballard (and Fremont). They could easily open earlier. At least it's not hard to occupy yourself in those areas if you aren't aware of their opening times. The same can't be said for Lantern.

26. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (813) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I don't know, Lantern is only ten blocks from Naked City/Flying Bike.

Erik-P and jpbebeau like this.
  27. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

@beertunes is right. Logos are fine, but a label indicating a different kind of content would not be. As for recommendations on a place to fill a growler in Seattle, I would second Chuck's (either location). Not only do they have a large number of taps, I've heard they will even fill something as lowly as a pickle jar (so long as the pickle label was removed). :wink:

BBThunderbolt and bwelch21 like this.
  28. Erik-P

Erik-P Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

hmmm havent heard of this place! will have to check it out as im in the area often

29. distantmantra

Trader

I bought some bottles from the Lantern guy at the Phinney farmers market a long time ago. Haven't had anything from them since.

30. MorningDew72

Thanks for the info on the foosball. I actually live in Greenwood and completely forgot about the table at Lantern. I remember it not being very nice, but better than nothing and walking distance!

@jtirpak22 The Grand Blanc has riesling grapes. I love that one.

31. jtirpak22

You should try Tres Grand Blanc, the dry hopped version of Grand Blanc with Nelson and citra. Easily my favorite they had on tap last time I was down there.

32. MorningDew72

thats funny I brought back a couple of bottles of tres grand blanc from a recent visit. I enjoyed it but I don't think hopped "sours" are my preference (everybody has their own) a lot of the time. God I hate the term sour beer. Especially with many breweries these days calling sour ales that are relatively simple lacto quick turnaround beers with no complexity given by Brett/pedio/and in de Garde's case whatever the hell lands in the coolship. Off topic rant, Anyway, still a fn great beer!!!!

I went to some random bar in Belltown for the first time and would say that is a good addition to the list, primarily because they feature a very solid draft list and it is only beers from the greater Seattle area. Food looked pretty good but we didnt get any. $4 pint happy hour in a pricey area wasn't too shabby. They also had both Cloudburst and Holy Mountain on tap, not many places have those accounts, plenty of good local well represented beers and close to a lot of the touristy things for any out of towners.

TheBungyo likes this.
  33. Dka67

Dka67 Aspirant (287) Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Drop some names brother. Where did u find the DeGarde. And the name of the bar?

34. balto22

balto22 Initiate (65) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

35. distantmantra

Trader

de Garde can be found at PCC Natural Grocers, Central Market, Bottleworks, Beer Junction, Last Drop Bottle Shop, Chucks, etc. Tres Grand Blanc didn't see WA distribution, just Grand Blanc about a month ago. Grand Rouge showed up over the past week, saw it at my PCC last night for $14.

The bar is called Some Random Bar.

36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Oh, just looking at the front of their site set my bullshit detectors ringing. A: you name your place "Some Random Bar". B: yet you are local, fresh, seasonal, farm to table. There's nothing "random" about that. C: "perfectly poured pints", perhaps. D: "Unpretentious cocktails", so far everything about you is pretentious, why should your cocktails be different? E: "chef driven sustenance", stop it already.

I hearby propose an addition to the Visiting Seattle thread, an "avoid" list. I have a nominee for the first entrant.

woemad, balto22 and BuckeyeOne like this.
  37. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I've been called a "crotchety, bitter asshole" on this very forum. Now you're suggesting the addition of an "avoid" list. What could go wrong? :grinning:

38. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,880) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, let's not go there. As soon as I saw the comment from you and Terry, a certain multi tap beer bar in PDX came to mind. Last thing we need is another "Why I hate the Apex" thread.

#38 John_M, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  39. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,687) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

It's a pretty chill spot, but doesn't belong on the Visiting Seattle list. Great Belltown happy hour option, though

40. distantmantra

Trader

In other news, Bottleworks wins April Fools.

bigmanlavos and BuckeyeOne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.