Visiting Seattle (Spring 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,105) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I went to the Flying Bike soft open the Sunday before. Very cool space, really liked the Peach Hef.

derkruk and jtirpak22 like this.
  2. AgirlnamedMEGA

AgirlnamedMEGA Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Minnesota

Also. Is Chuck's CD a bottle shop as well? Mainly just trying to ship beer/pack beer in the suitcase back unless i can sneak out after my curfew with my co-workers. They won't mind if I'm out late, so I will try to post sooner to see who would be around to share a few brews!

3. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Washington

Yes, one of the best in the area. They will also fill crowlers of just about anything they have on tap at the time.

Erik-P likes this.
  4. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

As I'm sure many other are, I'll be flying in for the dG anniversary party the weekend after next and staying a couple nights in Portland. Are there any events/releases going on other than the Great Notion/de Garde collab?
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670877789832278/

5. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

An interesting question for us here in Seattle.

vurt, Strangestbrewer and jtirpak22 like this.
  6. jtirpak22

Nothing that I know of, but I don't regularly pay attention to events in other cities. Might want to check out some Portland forums.

7. distantmantra

Trader

Bottleworks got Sahalie and La Tache bottles today. $30.99 each. Apparently Paul's brother lives in Seattle so he'll bring up shipments from time to time. Nothing regular, but they're definitely licensed for WA distribution.

jtirpak22 and sharpski like this.
  8. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

:rolling_eyes:

9. jtirpak22

Shame that it's easier to find in NY or SF than it is to find here < 200 miles away.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. Also, I didn't buy any. :wink:

Huh? I thought distribution was OR and ocassionally VT, WA and British Columbia?

11. jtirpak22

Just saw it this past weekend at City Beer Store in SF, also posted to their instagram a while back -

And Top Hops in NYC -

12. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,742) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'll be in Seattle on Mon. - Wed. Looking forward to trying out some new places. Went to Pine Box last time, and loved it. I have to hit up some breweries this time.

ballardbeer likes this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,302) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, none of the visitors will see this thread back on page 2. So, bump.

ballardbeer likes this.
  14. Arassuil

Arassuil Initiate (104) Jan 21, 2008 Australia

Will be in Seattle in mid October, so will hit up some old favs and check out some new places. I'll look for this thread when the time comes.

15. Trelvis

Trelvis Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2015 Texas

Was in Seattle for only 24 hours but had a great time. We visited Cloudburst, Holy Mountain, Fremont, and Hillard's. Enjoyed the beer at every stop but really liked Cloudburst and Holy Mountain. Was disappointed to miss the Holy Mountain bottle release by a day. Hope to make it back there in the future. Really liked the simplicity of the inside of their taproom.

16. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (133) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

you'll catch the tail end of fresh hop season. if you're into IPAs, you'll surely have no problem finding some wonderful fresh-hopped IPA.

17. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,742) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Gotta visit Brouwer's Cafe and Bottleworks.. Crazy bottle lists.. I mean, some of the best I've ever seen.

The RR Deviation was veeeeeery tempting.

18. Arassuil

Arassuil Initiate (104) Jan 21, 2008 Australia

Yeah! I'm all in for the hop-forward brews!

I went to Brouwers once. The one beer was good once I got it. Service stunk when service did come, as it was quite stuffingly pretentious even though it wasn't all that busy. Maybe they didn't like my looks or something like that. Won't be spending any $$ there any time soon, if ever again. Bottleworks was alright when I was there. I'll probably visit Silver City and Full Throttle and Hilltop Ale House, and definitely Cloudburst as time permits.

TheBungyo and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. distantmantra

Trader

Anyone been to Canlis recently since they've made an effort with beer? I'm going on Friday night with my wife and some friends.

http://canlis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wine-List-5.1.16.pdf

There's really nothing on the beer list that calls out to me. I hear they have Saison DuPont on draft and do $10 corkage, so I'll probably bring a Cantillon or Ale Apothecary.

sharpski likes this.
  20. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Hello Seattle BAs. Heading up from Santa Rosa a week from today for 7 days in your lovely city. Mon-Fri staying right by seatac (my company put me up, not my choice), and got a vrbo Fri to Sun up in Wallingford. I have a little experience in Seattle but not enough... Poked around the OP and found some nice looking stuff. Two Questions:

1) Anyone recommend anything decent near Seatac for a few beers at the end of the day? Doesn't need to be the best spot in town id just rather make the most of my time on a bar stool than lose the hour/hour and a half getting into town from my hotel.

2) Poked around on the links and it looks like if I am up in Wallingford my best bets for entertainment are Fremont, Brouwers, Add-a-ball (im a pinball guy, not implying the beers are special...) and bottleworks. Anything else I should try to include in this specific district? (I may go out of my way for Holy Mountain but besides that I would rather spend a lot of time in a small area than waste half my time zig zagging around the city...)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    (realize its not to be discussed in this thread, but: I will prob post in the ISO:FT and try to set up a few IPs while I am there so if that's your thing maybe check my other posts in a day or two once I get my list together)

#100 Coldstorage, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  21. TheBronze

TheBronze Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2009 Washington

During your time in Wallingford, Bouwers is a must and also consider Sixgill and Burgundian. Enjoy your stay!

Coldstorage likes this.
  22. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I don't know anything about the SeaTac area, but, the light rail can get you downtown and back fairly quickly, and it runs frequently and late: http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

woemad, Coldstorage, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  23. BuckeyeOne

1) A short cab ride into Burien will take you to Elliott Bay Brewery and Brewpub. The food is above average pub food and their brew is more than decent. They do have guest taps as well. If you really want to just stay in SeaTac and walk someplace, Roasters right there by the airport and hotels will fit the bill. They'll have a solid taplist and sports on the TVs.

2) The Wallingford/Fremont area is the best area for beer in our city IMO. You'll have access to Bottleworks, Burgundian, and Latona Pub in Wallingford. There's also an Elysian brewpub but it's not recommended since they sold out to InBev. In Fremont, Fremont Brewing, Brouwer's, and Sixgill are highly recommended.

In addition to these spots, Toronado Seattle is not far from Wallingford. It's about a half mile from Latona Pub. There's a Whole Foods as well right around the corner from Toronado. They have a great beer selection at Whole Foods.

Coldstorage and BBThunderbolt like this.
  24. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (133) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

this immediately jumped out to me. stumbling monk is <5 min walk from the capitol hill station.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  25. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I haven't done it yet, but I think light rail will make it easier for me to do a weekend in Seattle. I don't need a fancy hotel room, and the motels by the airport are cheap, and just what I need. Having the Link run, will make a beery weekend easier.

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  26. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Crusader (754) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I'm heading up to Seattle for a few days next week, and I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for a bar / taproom / restaurant that has:
    A) A respectable taplist that hopefully isn't all IPAs.
    B) Decent grub. Preferably, somewhere that uses bacon as a condiment.
    C) A view of the Puget Sound where I can watch the ships go by...​

Not sure such a place exists, but I figured if it did - this would be the place to ask. Thanks in advance.

27. BuckeyeOne

Ray's Cafe (http://www.rays.com/cafe/). Their taplist is decent --- I've had saisons, hefes, porters, etc. there. While bacon might be a stretch, their food --- mostly seafood --- is some of the best in the city. And there's not a better view of Puget Sound that isn't a residence.

JouerAvecLeFeu likes this.
  28. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Thanks guys. Either that light rail didn't exist last time or I'm just an idiot because I remember taking busses that were 30-45 min into town.

29. distantmantra

Trader

Following up on my post. Canlis is unable to offer corkage service on beer, only wine. Bummer.

Overpriced bottles or $16 pours of Bear Republic Tartare. Huh.

30. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,179) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Unable? As in, the Liquor Board won't let them do it, under terms of their license?

Or just unwilling? As in, they're really all about the wine.

I ask this question only as a matter of curiosity, since Canlis is not in our budget.

woemad likes this.
  31. distantmantra

Trader

I'm not sure really sure. They offer corkage service on wine bottles ($10 a person). I emailed them last night asking if this extends to 750s of corked beer as well. The response I got was "
    Unfortunately, we can't offer a corkage policy for beer. I'm so sorry about that!"

Like I said, I'm not sure. I don't appreciate wine enough to drop a bunch of money on their wine flight or anything. They're making an effort with beer so I had hoped they'd extend that service.

And yeah, this is a one time dinner for us. Never been, probably won't be back for a long long time.

32. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,879) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just my two cents on this, but what possible reason could there be for Canlis not allowing you to bring in your own beer? I'm assuming having proper glassware isn't a problem, and as long as you're willing to pay the corkage for any beer you bring, why should they care whether you bring in wine or beer? The amount of profit they're going to derive from alcohol sales is the same either way, no?

I guess if it were me, I would take another stab at it (maybe by email if that's possible), and explain where you're coming from (no one in your party likes wine and you have some special bottles of beer you'd like to bring in). Emphasize that you're more than happy to pay the corkage fee, and maybe even ask them (politely of course) why they can't accommodate your request, if they're able to offer corkage service for wine.

If they still say no, I would consider taking my business elsewhere, as that sounds completely unreasonable. Obviously, this is going to a fairly spendy night out, and as you're paying for an outstanding dining experience, why shouldn't the restaurant do everything within their power to accommodate what sounds like a very reasonable request on your part.

Again, just my two cents on this, but I really don't understand why there should be any problem with Canlis accommodating your request.

TheBungyo and BBThunderbolt like this.
  33. distantmantra

Trader

I'm the only person in our party of six that isn't into wine. I already shot off a response asking if there was any possible exception, but I'm not cancelling dinner for my wife and friends if I can't bring a Cantillon bottle. Has anyone been to a place that offers corkage on beer? I don't think I have.

34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes, but not at a fine dining restaurant like Canlis.

However, the GF and I are both into wine (much more so than beer actually), so this isn't an issue that ever comes up for us.

If you can't get them to relent on their policy, I'm not sure that leaves you with any recourse, other than the ones you've already mentioned.

35. distantmantra

Trader

Yeah, it's not a big deal and I was actually thinking they'd say no, but it never hurts to ask.

Part of me wonders if they think I'm trying to bring in some cheap bomber or something, and not a corked "fancy pants" bottle. I can't even imagine what they'd charge for AA if it were on their beer list (a $50 Scaldis Nuit is $112 at Canlis). Oh well.

36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

In my experience, I think the biggest problem is a shift in perception. It seems like the expensive, high end restaurants are often the most conservative and slow to change, and like you said, most of them probably still think in terms of a bottle of bud or Heineken when it comes to beer (no matter what craft offering they may carry on their list). It's still a "lesser" beverage for a lot of high end restaurants (though I do think this is changing).

I also think another problem is a practical one. Most restaurants think in terms of a 750 ml bottle when it comes to wine corkage, which makes it somewhat easier to come up with a price. But for beer... are you bringing a couple of 12 ounce bottles (likely their biggest concern), or are you bringing a bomber or some other size variant? If so, would it be appropriate to charge $10 for each 12 ounce bottle (and as I'm sure you're aware, in this day and age, a $10 corkage fee is pretty cheap for a high end restaurant. Imagine if the restaurant was charging the far more customary $15 or $25 for each bottle opened... I suspect that rather than running the risk of pissing off a customer with their "one size fits all" corkage policy, they simply decided that it was safer not to allow any corkage service for beer).

That being said, I think you raise a very good point, and I would consider running this by them again. Again, I would emphasize that you're bringing a very special bottle of beer, one that comes in a corked 750 ml bottle (something they're all too familiar with). I would even consider telling them that it's bottle of Cantillon from Belgium (just so they're fully apprised of how "special" this beer is ).

Shrug. That's all I got. I really hope this works out for you.

Good luck!

37. retinaMark

retinaMark Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado

Had dinner at Canlis in December while visiting friends in Seattle. Brought a bottle of Cantillon LPK. Didn't ask beforehand. Just handed the bottle as well as another wine bottle to the hostess to have chilled as she sat us. Sommelier poured the LPK with our starters with no questions asked. Paid the standard $10 pp corkage fee when the check came.

38. distantmantra

Trader

I think I saw your checkin on Untappd. I'll shoot them an email and ask about this. Thanks!

39. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,188) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I'd follow this course of action. Bring the bottle with you, hand it to them without mentioning it's beer, and see what happens. It's much harder to refuse a customer face to face than claiming restaurant policy over the phone or email, and I'm guessing it's not the sommelier driving this restriction. From the restaurant's perspective, it may be easier to say no than having to get specific about what is an isn't acceptable. I'm definitely not an authority on WA liquor license provisions or Canlis' policies, but I think the worst that can happen is that you take an unopened bottle back home.

Anyone know what would happen if someone took a 1.5L bottle of Kirkland Signature Cabernet to Canlis (or similar) and requested corkage? Pretty sure they'd make an effort to steer someone away from bringing the bottle if they received an email or call beforehand, though.

ballardbeer and BBThunderbolt like this.
  40. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,188) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I don't think you're going to get them to "publicly" say it's OK, even if they look the other way when someone brings an appropriate beer bottle. They can imply it was the guest's deception or a misunderstanding and they don't condone it, and you may decrease the chance of them looking the other way for you. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

#120 sharpski, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.