Visiting Seattle (Spring 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,296) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

FTFY :wink:

(now you see how I end up in hot water so often)

sharpski likes this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,104) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I didn't do a gotcha or anything like that. Just said I knew someone who had brought a beer in December and it was ok at the time. Mentioned what I was thinking of bringing (AA El Cuatro or LPF), that id also have something there and said the other five people in my party would be doing wine and cocktails. Finished it up with understanding if this is policy and/or state law and that I respect that.

Got a really nice response and they're checking with the sommelier to see if they can allow it.

sharpski, John_M and BBThunderbolt like this.
  3. distantmantra

Trader

Heard back from Canlis. They're fine with large format beer bottles, but don't want people bringing in 12 oz bottles.

4. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

Spent the weekend in Seattle after being up there for an interview on Thursday made a few stops that I haven't made on previous visits.

Made the usual rounds at Chucks and Brouwers. Went to Flying Bike first because it was right by my friends house who I was staying with. Chill taproom, beers were ok. I got their Best Bitter and my friend got Equinox, both were ok. Also tried their gruit.

First visit to Fremont since they've remodeled and it looks quite good. Had their pilsner, it was great for sitting out in on a sunny Friday afternoon. Lucky enough I was there before the... well it wasn't packed, just pretty busy. After that walked to Cloudburst; that on the other hand... I got there right at 4:50pm on a Friday afternoon, so it was filled to the gills. Cool brewery, I actually really like the feel. My friends and I got Happy Little Clouds, Vibes & Stuff, and Jump Sturdy. All were good, they definitely are good with their hops.

Saturday went to Holy Mountain... god damn. That is a very stylish nice basic taproom; beers were great and great priced. My friend got Kiln & Cone and Dawnbreaker while I got... things with more complicated names. Suniver? A white wine barrel aged saison which was stupid good. And... something I don't remember the name of, foudre aged brett farmhouse? Also really good. After trying my friends beer I really wished I could've got a growlette of Dawnbreaker for a bbq we did later that night but settled for Kiln & Cone (which isn't much settling). Then made a stop at Rooftop brewing because it was near my friends gf's house. Beer was alright; I got a pilsner, my friend got a CDA, and his gf got coffee pale ale on nitro. Liked the coffee pale the most. Sat outside on the roof area in the sun which was nice.

Overall: Holy Mountain god damn, Cloudburst pretty damn good, Fremont same as it ever was, and everything else solid.

Question: My friends roommate wanted to go up to Lantern Brewing on Sunday but ended up going fishing instead and were to lazy to do it after she left, did I miss out?

5. distantmantra

Trader

I've yet to hit up Lantern's taproom. I bought a bottle of their pale years ago at the Phinney farmers market back when they were still figuring things out.

6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (813) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Interesting. I just made my first trip to Rooftop since they moved to their current location. I too tried the pilsner, which I should mention is not actually a pilsner but a pilsner style ale. I thought it was just "ok" at first but by the end of the pint it had grown on me. The Gateway Pale was actually really tasty. If you make it back there, definitely give it a try.

Next time you visit, go check out Seapine. I really loved their lagers and their Positron IPA is delicious.

As far as Flying Bike goes, Kevin is a very talented brewer and I dig a lot of his stuff, but some of the FB brews can be hit and miss. He's done some fantastic pale ales in the Pale Hoppy Thing series, especially on cask.

Lantern in my experience is also hit and miss. The best beer I've had from them is the triple. I dug some of the stuff the first time I visited, but the second I found much of it barely mediocre. I hate saying that because the guy that runs the place is very nice. Who knows though, I was so thoroughly unimpressed last time (which was at least a year ago) that we haven't been back.

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  7. Strangestbrewer

Wow, 2nd page? Well bump and...

Does anyone know of a good hefe or amber available in Seattle in kegs? Preferable from a Seattle brewery or at least Washington.

My friend I stayed with asked me if I knew any breweries that keg hefes/ambers with good availablity for his kegerator for a backyard bbq he's doing soon and wants to please all the people and admittedly it's not something I keep my ear to the ground about.

#127 Strangestbrewer, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. distantmantra

Trader

I have no clue. I thought maybe Chuckanut did a Hef, but apparently they don't. A keg of Pyramid Hef must be super easy to get. Lots of WA breweries do ambers. Maybe Georgetown's Chopper or Mac n Jack African Amber? Silver City Ridgetop Res, Elysian's Men's Room Red, Snoqualmie's PGA.

Still clueless as to mass produced WA hefs. This is gonna drive me nuts, so I'll research it.

#128 distantmantra, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    ballardbeer likes this.
  9. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (132) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

i've never had a WA hef by anyone but Pyramid. i think stoup makes one, and they do kegs-to-go.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Stoup does make one, but I'm not sure how often it's made. Ice Harbor has a tangerine Hef and Ravenna Brewing makes a peach Hef that I really like. Iron Horse does High Five Hef. That shouldn't be hard to get.

Really surprised Chuckanut doesn't do a Hef.

Also, with the advent of cloudy juice IPAs, what about crazy hoppy hefs? Yes? No? Awesome idea? Worst idea ever?

11. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,687) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

Hoppy wheat beers are great - new glarus owns that. Gumballhead, too. Not hefs, but close enough

12. distantmantra

Trader

Gumballhead is my favorite FFF beer. Kinda surprised we haven't seen someone do a juice/Hefeweizen hybrid. Even if it is a terrible idea.

sharpski likes this.
  13. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

How about Hales' El Jefe?

14. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,187) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Not quite the same, but the COBW Beer this year is a cloudy tropical wheat IPA.

15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I haven't had it in a few years, so there's a caveat, but Anacortes Brewing made a very nice Hefe. Lots of banana and clove. They self-distribute, so it might be worth giving them a call or Email and checking it out.

I posted this very question on FB a few week ago. There's 9 breweries in Bellingham, and not one makes a hefe or Wit. Kulshan does make a Pale Wheat, Dude Man Wheat, that's pretty nice, but that's it. C'mon WA brewers, step up your wheat game!

16. mv945

mv945 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Washington

How about:
    [​IMG]

sharpski likes this.
  17. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Black Raven makes a Kellerweiss that's pretty nice.

sharpski likes this.
  18. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (176) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  19. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

My question is this and I think it's been inferred by other commenters but has been unanswered: Does your friend really want a hefeweizen or does he want an American wheat ale? Pyramid isn't really a hefeweizen, IIRC --- I haven't had one if many, many years --- but rather a wheat ale because it does't use a hefeweizen yeast --- lending it that distinctive banana and clove aroma and taste. A local, true hefe may be hard to come by in readily available kegs but American wheat ales are somewhat plentiful around town --- Fremont definitely has kegs of its Wandering Wheat available.

As for ambers, my favorite still after all these years is Big Time Atlas Amber. It's the first craft beer that I drank copious amounts of way back when. Big Time sells kegs of this I believe.

20. walterfredo

walterfredo Initiate (199) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Seapine makes a German Hef

21. emr25

emr25 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Georgia

Headed to Seattle today for work, planning on hitting a few breweries or beer bars today and also Wednesday afternoon. The list in the OP will be my starting point, but specifically today or Wednesday is there anything local on tap that is a can't miss? Mostly IPAs, Stouts, BA Stouts, Sours, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I know Fremont, Holy Mountain, and Cloudburst will be on my agenda but trying to fill in with spots that may have other local / West Coast must haves.

22. distantmantra

Trader

Hit up Reubens as well. Download the BrewNotice app for taplists all over the city.

Also, today is the last day of Seattle Beer Week, so there are probably some fun things going on.

23. emr25

Thanks. I'm now stuck in Atlanta waiting for another flight to Seattle. Anything in the Bellevue area that I could stop at late this evening?

24. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (359) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Depends on how late you're talking. 9 or 10 is probably the latest the few breweries there are open. I always thought Bellevue Brewing had decent food and beer. Geaux Brewing is taproom only with occasional food trucks. Their beers are real good. They also might make you feel somewhat close to home with their New Orleans vibe taproom.

25. emr25

Not scheduled to arrive until 8PM and will have to pickup the rental car and make it up that way still. May just have to delay any beer stops until tomorrow night unfortunately.

26. distantmantra

Trader

Malt and Vine is open until 10. Looks like everything else closes at 9.

27. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (359) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Lot No. 3 is a restaurant that's open to midnight. Was there once and they had a decent craft beer selection on draft. Website shows they have a rotating Holy Mountain tap handle. It's right downtown Bellevue if that's where you are staying.

28. distantmantra

Trader

Geaux and Resonate are both open until 10.

Untappd makes it look like they've got Dawnbringer on tap at the moment. Probably your best bet for late Sunday night craft beer in Bellevue.

29. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,187) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Don't know your local laws and scene so this may sound stupid, but our grocery stores often have great selections and sell until 2am, in case you want to settle in at your hotel more than go out.

#149 sharpski, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    kemoarps, emr25 and BuckeyeOne like this.
  30. distantmantra

Trader

Good point. There's a QFC and a Whole Foods in downtown Bellevue. I think the WF over there even does growler fills.

emr25 likes this.
  31. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (176) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

Tavern Hall in Bellevue Square mall doesn't have the best selection despite their name, but they have some decent choices if you're from out of town and a few rotating taps that can be decent. I believe Top Cutter is always available, and if the website is current, they have Holy Mountain's Celestial Lineage.

32. emr25

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion, our Whole Foods at home is a good beer stop for out of towners as well. I think I'll stop at WF Bellevue tonight and save brewery stops for evenings this week after work. Cheers!

33. distantmantra

Trader

Get yourself a six pack of Reubens' Daily Pale.

34. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (67) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Brewery

Glad you had a good time and sounds like you did some serious work to hit so many solid places. However, when did we (Fremont) become "same as it ever was"? Is this a thing? A good thing? We are only six years old, but are we taken for granted already? Do we eat our young this early?

Question for the forum: do we seek the new or the good and what is the nexus? What is the future? To wit, Boneyard is still amazing but are not "new" in our new world of ridiculous choices, do we fail do recognize quality? Are Cloudburst and Holy Mountain doomed to become the next "good, but have you tried...." breweries? Is Fremont already there? Have I had too much beer during SBW and miss the point of this trip recap?

Zhiguli, woemad, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  35. Strangestbrewer

I meant it as a good thing. I've never had a bad beer, never been when there's a giant crowd [despite how it seems that everyone else says it's almost always standing room only], always had pleasant staff, great prices and a good time.

In retrospect I understand how it might sound negative, but I meant it in the way there's not much more of any ways it could've been better than any of my other trips [which have been equally been great] unless you want to start closing off to just my friends and I or giving out free beer.

It was a great stop, and it's been consistently a great stop every time I'm up in Seattle; Thus the "same as it ever was."

kemoarps, woemad and TheBungyo like this.
  36. Strangestbrewer

I think that part of this is at a certain point people have repeated the same things so many times that they feel like they're unspoken truths. At a certain point, barring catastrophic downward spirals, people just assume people know about the ones who've proven themselves in and out. To use Portland as an example, I'm not usually one to recommend Hair of the Dog not because I think ill of them, but because subconsciously it's repeated to the point that feels like common knowledge about beer in Portland. While there is definitely people who're constantly looking for and comparing new shiny thing to their old shiny things that are still shiny, just not new, I don't think it's the only driving factor. Especially here in this regional forum where we seem to try and beat down the hyped up horde as much as we can.

Maybe a little bit, when doing these kinds of recaps I mainly like to bring up new experiences to get others opinions on something I didn't really have until now [then]. I've been to Fremont 12ish times and this one was a quick stop off on a long walk during a hot day, so there wasn't much to write about that I already haven't said. I also stopped at Brouwer before stopping at Fremont, but I had even less to say about that for the very same reason.

woemad and sharpski like this.
  37. TheBungyo

Damn, I could sip my beer and ramble an answer on and on all night on this topic ...

It saddens me, but one thing the average modern craft beer geek does not have is an attention span (I'm not saying this in regards to @Strangestbrewer I should add). In another thread when I called BCBS "hyped" someone responded that it can't be hyped because that would imply "barrel aged beer" was a fad. Fad isn't what I meant, but in a way, in the beer world everything popular is a fad in a sense, due to how quickly the masses abandon that which isn't latest great or maybe too easily procured.

Hell, I remember when Masala Mama was a big deal. It's a great beer, and even though I haven't been lucky enough to have it in more than five years, I'm sure it's still wonderful. The (according to my memory) long time #1 rated IPA on BA is surely virtually unknown now among the average BA user. It would be easy to do a roll call of beers that once dominated talk on the BA forums that now are considered somewhat blase, or overlooked altogether: Dark Lord, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Storm King, Speedway Stout ... the list goes on and on. All are still great beers in their own right but they aren't new great beers. They aren't barrel aged. They are not difficult to get. Honestly, if Dark Star had been available in 2005 it would be on this list as well (I mean that as a compliment)!

In Fremont's case, you produce some awesome beer, but it probably loses some sexiness points in the eyes of average beer geek due to the fact that it's quite easy for most of us to obtain almost as much as we want/can afford, and it's priced very reasonably. You take mercy on us and make a good amount, so it's possible to find it months after release.

I used to chase beers, but I gave it up when I realized almost every beer craving I had could be quenched by a brewery closer to home, and at the very least within the NW. I expect a lot of other beer geeks in the NW will reach the same conclusion with time. And fortunately, we're only a fraction of the people that are consuming craft beer these days. Weekends at Fremont can be a madhouse, and I don't really believe all those people are beer geeks that are willing to line up for some big release of limited, barrel aged, small batch beer. No, those people just want to drink something that tastes good and (hopefully) isn't brewed by someone evil.

Fremont has both those bases covered in spades. Sorry for the long missive (written with the aid of delicious Fremont Summer Ale). Hopefully this is even slightly coherent.

38. TheBungyo

This is actually what I assumed when I read it myself. For a moment I wondered if you meant what Texwild himself mused, but I was certain it was meant as a compliment more than anything else. Mostly because I couldn't fathom someone knocking Fremont for being ... Fremont!

And I don't think the price thing can be overstated. It does somewhat boggle the mind that I can walk out of Fremont with a growler of Universal Pale or whatever for what ... nine bucks? The prices in general have always been beyond reasonable. And on top of that they do so many great things for our community too? Sorry to get political, but if more American businesses approached capitalism in this fashion our country would be in far better shape.

kemoarps, woemad, EdwardAbbey and 3 others like this.
  39. Strangestbrewer

I admit I might've just left too much up to whoever reads it to either: realize I put them in descending order of impressions during the trip thus hoping people would realize that it was either 'above solid' [and the two things above it were first impressions], look at the rest of my post and realize that it I had nothing bad to say in most of it so infer that it was good, or expected them to fill out their own idea of what I meant by that [and since the worst thing I've ever heard anyone say about Fremont was it was too busy, means that I'd had gay ol' time].

Unless I'm explicitly negative on here, interpret my ramblings as positive. Things I'm expressly negative about that I can think of off the top of my head: the Fat Heads brewpub/branding/location, hype & hoarding, and Sierra Nevada pushing the term 'wet hop' as a false flag to distract people from realizing that their usage of 'fresh hop' on Celebration making no sense.

The negative thoughts on most of my many trips to Seattle [outside a few random beers] revolve around lack of seating but that might because I'm usually there on weekends and I tend to bring the sun with me for some stupid reason.

kemoarps, woemad and sharpski like this.
  40. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

In our modern world, 6 years is an eternity. In 2010, smartphones weren't ubiquitous, not much good beer was available in cans, and Uber was just an evil fantasy. Now, anyone who doesn't have a smartphone does so as a choice, great beer in cans is all over the place, and Uber is an evil reality. I don't remember Fremont making a big, splashy entrance onto the beer scene, in the way, say Holy Mountain has, but yeah, Fremont has taken on the role of established citizen. Six years from now, new, hyped breweries will have come along, and faded into the background. There will always be a new toy that folks are interested in, that doesn't mean we still don't like the old toys, just that we don't talk about them as much.

kemoarps, woemad and sharpski like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.