Visiting Seattle (Spring 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emr25

emr25 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Georgia

Grabbed lunch at Lot No 3 today. I had the Holy Mountain rotating tap, the bartender described it as an oak aged blonde. I'm assuming it was Heartwork (Batch 2)?

NWer and TheBungyo like this.
  2. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (133) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

i would assume heartwork, but it also could be attrition or even empirium.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,105) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Probably not Empirium. Not many kegs of that left the brewery.

Multiple people were checking in Dawnbreaker at Lot No 3 last week.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,308) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I was at Farmstrong yesterday, and they had a pleasant little Hefe on tap. They get distro in Seattle, so you should be able to order it.

5. emr25

emr25 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Georgia

Definitely had some belgiany notes, reminded me a bit of RR Sanctification.

6. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,372) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

(At the risk of introducing too much Oregon to the "Visiting Seattle" thread...) pFriem brought a Hoppy Wheat to the OBF a couple years ago. It was one of the best beers of the Festival. I don't think it had hef-level cloudiness, though, if that's important to the concept.

7. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Disciple (370) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania

Best bet for really really good food, with a decent beer list, somewhat near downtown?

Thanks!

8. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Off the top of my head, I'd say Quinn's Pub and Brave Horse Tavern fit this bill.

9. ballardbeer

just pick a restaurant and don't worry. places like matts in the market/radiator whiskey/etc are great downtown restaurants, and no one would ever recommend going there for the beer. but surely they'll have fremont, bale breaker, georgetown or other great beers on tap.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,848) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Very well put. I agree completely with what you say.

TheBungyo likes this.
  11. mikebiffar

mikebiffar Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Where are the best places to get beer closest to the airport??

12. distantmantra

Trader

Seattle Taproom at the airport has some decent shelf locals on tap. Bale Breaker, Fremont, Black Raven. There's not much around the airport aside from 13 Coins (24 hour restaurant) and Sharp's Roaster (sports pub place with some local beer on tap). SeaTac isn't in the city. Elliot Bay Brewing and Pit Stop Bottle Shop in Burien are closest, but you'll need a car. If you've got a car you can also hit up Super Deli Mart and Beer Junction in West Seattle.

If you've got lots of time, you can take light rail to downtown and hit up Cloudburst and Old Stove in Pike Place Market.

13. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (509) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

14. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (813) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Hope it's OK for me to make the suggestion in here, but I'd like to cast a vote for Seapine to go into the "highly recommended" section in the next iteration of this thread.

15. balto22

balto22 Initiate (65) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

I second this.

JDHake79 and TheBungyo like this.
  16. beersterns

beersterns Initiate (82) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts

In town tonight and looking for the best spot beer wise that will also have the Stanley Cup game on. Staying at the Marriott downtown, but willing to Uber if needed. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

17. TheBungyo

I'm not sure, but I really want the other half of your sandwich. Or a roast beef (three way) if you brought one from MA.
    I'd try calling Chuck's Hop Shop (they have two locations, CD is probably going to be closer to you) to see if they're going to show it. I know The Yard also shows most sporting events.

18. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

There's yet another damn kickball tournament on that's been jacking most of the TVs around town lately. How do the kickball teams find time to play their regular seasons, what with all the friendlies they schedule, plus all the different tourneys? If it seems like soccer season never ends, it's because it doesn't. Ugh!

NWer and BuckeyeOne like this.
  19. TheBungyo

I know what you mean. Funny thing is, Machine House has long been one of my favorite places to grab a beer, but they show soccer almost nonstop. Shows how much I must love their beer (and atmosphere, despite the soccer) if it's good enough to help me ignore the soccer they show.

20. mv945

mv945 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Washington

If your hotel is the Marriott on 2nd Ave, I suggest Collins Pub just a couple blocks South.

JDHake79 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. vurt

Society

Hey, at least with soccer there's always something happening on the field. Baseball and throwball are long stretches of standing around followed by a few seconds of activity.

22. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yeah, watching the guy writhe around on the ground like he's been shot by a sniper, only to make a miraculous recovery and sprint down the field. That's awesome entertainment. Oh, and mystery time! Apparently soccer refs can't be trusted to turn the clock on and off, but can be trusted to keep accurate track of the amount of time that they haven't been playing in his head.

TheBungyo and BuckeyeOne like this.
  23. vurt

Society

Well, at least you were right about the "soccer season never ends" part. :grinning:

66jzmstr, WA_Brian and BBThunderbolt like this.
  24. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,180) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I stopped at The Yard (4th near Pike, for those who don't know) last week and caught the Warriors Cavaliers game. I wouldn't ordinarily have gone in there, but I needed to watch the Warriors. I was pleasantly surprised by the beer selection. No, it's not Chuck's or The Beer Junction or Beveridge Place, but it's not hard to find a pretty good beer there. And there are LOTS of screens for the sporting events. Those of you who like kickball will find a screen or two in the corner, even when the big games are on.

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  25. TheBungyo

Their taplist is usually very solid, and at times excellent. They usually keep it pretty up to date on their site as well: http://theyardcafe.com/

26. jeffdill

jeffdill Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Washington

MIIR in Fremont has Bourbon County Regal Rye on tap

27. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Think that's the Yard House? (Or something.) The Yard is up near 85th and Greenwood.

derkruk likes this.
  28. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,180) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Sorry, my mistake. The question (#185) was from someone staying downtown and looking for a place to watch sports and have beer. That had been my problem a few days earlier, and I went to the Yard House, on 4th near Pike. Then I got confused by Bungyo's reference to The Yard, and thought it was the same place.

If the OP wants to Uber to Greenwood, more power to him.

And, for the OP, if he's still paying attention, the spot in Greenwood is a small indy establishment, which we all favor. The Yard House, downtown, is a big chain, which most of us would generally avoid. That said, it still may meet your needs, as it's got a ton of screens, and probably 50 or more beers, and is just a few blocks from your hotel.

29. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,154) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

it makes me so sad that i am reading this thread as a visitor and not a contributor...

30. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Heck, I'd put them in the "(Almost) Universally Recommended" section, or at least something in between the two, based on my own experience. But I know this depends on more consensus and, let's face it, a certain amount of hype.

JDHake79, balto22 and TheBungyo like this.
  31. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (464) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

I spent Monday through Thursday in Seattle this week and had a pretty awesome experience. I was in town for a conference so I didn't have a ton of free time but was able to get out and explore a bit. I stayed at The Edgewater and visited Cloudburst (which was awesome), Elysian and Old Stove.

I did Uber out to chucks and that place was friggin awesome. Outside of a few great pours on draft I was able to grab a few bottles of Anian from deGarde to bring home to Michigan which was pretty great.

Only thing I'll say is I don't remember anyone in this thread saying the whole damn town is up hill. I swear I'm in pretty good shape but hot damn that was steep.

Thanks for this thread, everyone!

32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

You're still welcome to chime in. Don't be a stranger.

EdwardAbbey and JDHake79 like this.
  33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

If ya start at the top, it's all downhill.:wink:

34. ballardbeer

the drumlins around seattle help burn the calories off, meaning more beer consumption and less FOMO.

35. TheBungyo

I definitely think they deserve to be in that section, but just figured they had more of a chance making it into the highly recommended rather than jumping straight to universally.

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  36. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,687) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

Seapine is cool in the other recommended bucket and I think Black Raven should be demoted to that too. If Joe Walesmith is coming in from Chicago for a long weekend, they'd be out of their mind to go to Redmond. Isn't that what this thread is for?

My opinion would also be that Joe Walesmith would be a little misguided to go to Big Time or Naked City as well. There is simply no way I could be convinced those breweries are more worthy of attention than Seapine, Standard, Urban Family, Two Beers, or Optimism, just to name a few.

#196 dirtylou, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    EdwardAbbey and distantmantra like this.
  37. distantmantra

Trader

I like Naked City and Big Time a lot, but they're not places I'd tell people to go if they have limited time.

EdwardAbbey and JDHake79 like this.
  38. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Sure, I'd tell Joe Walezsmith to go to the hypebrewers too, even if just to keep them out of my hair. But, when someone asks where to go, I'm inclined to point folks towards someplace I think they'll actually enjoy their entire visit, not just collecting walez. For example, I can never see being jammed into Reubens as more enjoyable than the funky old wood of Big Time. Of the 5 breweries @dirtylou lists a couple posts up, the only one I've been to is Two Beers. And, while I enjoy the brews from Two Beers, and their industrial ambiance is cool, if you're into that, there's no way I'd send someone there before Naked City or Big Time. Strokes for folks.

sharpski likes this.
  39. distantmantra

Trader

I'm with Lou, especially if you've never been to the places mentioned.

Good example of Urban Family. Great beers and the taproom is normally dead.

40. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (176) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

How many people from Chicago are likely to distinguish between the city of Seattle and the Seattle metropolitan area? There are business events in my industry that take place in Bellevue, and given Redmond is home to one of the state's largest employers, I would expect some people visiting the "Seattle area" may also find this thread useful.

Depending on the person's travel situation, driving to Redmond on a weekend isn't bad at all. Google says it's a shorter trip on mid-day Saturday to go from Pike Market to Black Raven than to travel from Pike Market to Reuben's tonight at 6pm. Isn't traffic lovely?

That said, at a minimum, I'd note that Black Raven is in Redmond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.