Visiting Seattle (Spring 2017 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Locations that offer crowler fills are included. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing
    Seapine Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Urban Family Brewing
    Old Stove Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Teku Tavern
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Downtown Spirits
    Growler Guys
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Pear Delicatessen
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Mollusk
    Quinn's Pub
    Red Payaya
    The Yard Cafe
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Places with Crowler Machines
    Tin Dog
    Beer Junction
    Fremont Brewing
    Chuck's (both locations)
    Lowercase Brewing
    Growler Guys
    Old Stove Brewing
    The Cannery
    Flatstick Pub

larryi86, eppCOS, boralyl and 4 others like this.
  2. SPRichard

SPRichard Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks for doing all the leg work with this info.

Doing a week's vacation split between Seattle and Portland at the end of June, so this thread and the Portland one has given me some great insight to both areas.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Out of curiosity, has the collective thinking on Teku changed? I seem to remember the initial reaction as being fairly negative.

NWer likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I dunno, I haven't been back to Teku since their opening night. I just don't go downtown much. Kinda funny all the love that was dumped on them immediately and still no mention of Slow Boat Tavern.

Delancey in Ballard has a wonderful rotating taplist (Holy Mountain, Cloudburst, Structures, etc.) and killer pizza. Just an FYI.

dirtylou, drone and BBThunderbolt like this.
  5. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

I like TeKu. Bottles seem to hang around a little longer there than some other places downtown. Draft pours are on the pricey side, but not unreasonable. Selection is usually great (and you can check online ahead of time).

Slow Boat is a totally different animal. If I lived nearby I'd be there all the time.

ballardbeer likes this.
  6. BuckeyeOne

I've never even heard of Slow Boat Tavern or Delancey.

7. distantmantra

Trader

Slow Boat Tavern is in Hillman City. They hosted Zwanze Day 2016.

Delancey is a wood fired pizza place in North Ballard.

8. hobojungle

hobojungle Sep 7, 2016 Illinois

Doing a Portland/Seattle split next month! This is awesome. Thank you.

9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Hillman City? Where dat?

10. distantmantra

Trader

A block south of Columba City.

11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, I've at least heard of that.

sharpski likes this.
  12. distantmantra

Trader

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Actually, I'm surprised at how many of those neighborhoods I had at least heard of, and am semi-familiar with more than I would have guessed. I guess after 17 years some of it starts to soak in.

14. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Except the part about, with just a fraction of the keystrokes and message board crosstalk, you being able to readily find this sort of information for yourself.:wink:

westcoastbeergeek likes this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Hello Pot, I'm Kettle.

sharpski and vurt like this.
  16. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

I’m clearly, and proudly, in favor of periodic thread drift, and just plain ole’ goofing around—it gives this place some spice and personality, and helps keep us from taking beer too seriously. But when we start asking for information a simple Google search would yield instantaneously, and which is of even less entertainment value than the other stuff, even I can get a little curmudgeonly, too. You and your ilk don’t own that.

NWer and ewendel like this.
  17. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

Visiting Seattle area this Saturday till Thursday looking for great fresh IPAs , hopefully in cans/bottles to bring Home. Any can releases this weekend or next week?

Thanks

18. distantmantra

Trader

Three Magnets is releasing some cans at Chucks on Saturday. That's the only fresh squeezed juice offering while you'll be here. Juice Willis and BS are both sold out. I don't think Reubens has any more Mosaic Crush cans.

Lots of other good regular offerings while you're in town, though. Bale Breaker, Fremont, Fort George, Reubens, etc. Maybe a Three Magnets Big Juice Smoothie bomber if they're still around? And don't sleep on current draft IPA options from Cloudburst, Skookum and Structures. Crowlers are an option.

#18 distantmantra, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Eddiehop, Jinxed, vinylfiend1 and 5 others like this.
  19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

To paraphrase: Dude, we got beer, chillax, we're gonna send ya home with great stuff. ?

vinylfiend1 and distantmantra like this.
  20. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

It looks like the have a dry-hopped pilsner and hazy/tropical "Juicestorm" IPA in the wings as well. They were quick and friendly over Facebook in response to me, and said they're hoping to launch those two in May. (HOTT PIXX HERE)

Mosaic Crush was solid, but damn, as I finish my last few cans of Loral Crush (right now - for breakfast, of course), this beer has really grown on me. If Reubens finds a way to make one of their Crush beers a year-round mainstay, I hope the hop bill involves some Loral. Good stuff.

jlharman, Robomunky, derkruk and 2 others like this.
  21. distantmantra

Trader

So I'm guessing the 3Mag cans will be everywhere, not just Chucks in Seattle?

Mosaic Crush was ok but Loral Crush was stellar. I had my last can during the NCAA Championship game Monday night and it was as good as ever.

jlharman, Robomunky and 66jzmstr like this.
  22. 66jzmstr

I believe so. Selfishly, I asked if my neck o' the woods would see them soon (e.g. The Cave in Kirkland), and they said if all goes well, they're hoping to ship to other bottle shops on Thursday.

DamienI likes this.
  23. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

The 3 Magnets cans are a little sweet for my taste (didn't try the coffee IPA).

24. distantmantra

Trader

Waiting until Bottleworks gets them in so I can buy singles.

25. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Been here a week now , and I'll just say the traffic grid lock is horrendous, and driving in Seattle a nightmare. I've found some nice places in Tacoma and Olympia , a nice bottle shop and I'm good. Even this stretch on I 5 by JBLM is just ridiculous, I couldn't deal with it, and I drove into Philly everyday to work for years.

Found a 3 Magnets beer today a first time canning of Rainstorm , easily the best beer I've had since I've been here, A super hazy, orange juicy IPA. It might pass for a Trillium brew.

chinochino and 66jzmstr like this.
  26. BuckeyeOne

Please feel to share this info with everyone you meet. Much appreciated.

kingsleyr, zeledonia, John_M and 8 others like this.
  27. 66jzmstr

I got to try some of this last night, too. Rainstorm was tasty. I tried Sunstorm as well, but I found it a little on the sweet side. The third offering of Three Magnets' canned releases yesterday, a coffee IPA, might have been the best of the bunch, I thought. I'm not a coffee guy, but I will no longer lament the loss of Ft. George's (canned) Java the Hop, as this beer is on the same level and very well done.

@nc41, If you liked Rainstorm, look for IPAs on tap from Skookum and Cloudburst. They're both doing the cloudy/hazy/AOA-type IPA but with a more pronounced hop bitterness.

kingsleyr likes this.
  28. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol, well others shared it with me. But with only one highway I suppose it can't be any other way. But it is dreadful and the gps really spotty. Enjoying the beers and food though.

29. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Anybody been to Alstadt? It's not listed here, it's a German-themed "beer hall". Lots of Lagers on their on-line menu. It's near Mariners Field, so was thinking about maybe checking it out when I'm down for the Marlins game next week.

66jzmstr likes this.
  30. 66jzmstr

My cousin and I went there before a Sounders game last October. We got there early, and though it got crowded, the service still moved at a respectable clip. The draft list of German imports wasn't bad for a place that probably isn't trying to cater to beer geeks. Food was pretty good, too.

31. chinochino

chinochino Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Was there Friday. My honey hole for things Chuckanut. Not that you will need that tho. Meat in tube form and fresh pretzels and a bunch of stuff that smells and looks good but I cannot pronounce. Big long tables. Always meet someone new.

sharpski, BBThunderbolt and 66jzmstr like this.
  32. bentnorton

bentnorton Apr 21, 2015 Colorado

How easy is it to get bottles of Fremont's barrel aged offerings off-season? Just curious if I'd be able to restock a bit when I come up around September.

* I apologize if this question has already been asked

33. distantmantra

Trader

Maybe if you look hard enough or trade, but not likely you'll stumble on any in September at a store.

BBThunderbolt and bentnorton like this.
  34. bentnorton

Thanks for the quick response. I never know what breweries hold some bottles back at the brewery, so I figured it was worth asking.

distantmantra likes this.
  35. stillill

stillill Mar 6, 2016 Washington

It's called Safeco Field

distantmantra likes this.
  36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Only by corporate whores.

NWer likes this.
  37. distantmantra

Trader

My wife works for that company. Thanks.

kingsleyr, NWer, DamienI and 2 others like this.
  38. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

If you wanna take a 3 hr trip to Portland I can point to to some places that still have Fremont BA beers (BBomb, KDS)

bentnorton likes this.
  39. bentnorton

That would be great. I was already planning on taking a little detour down there anyway.

40. distantmantra

Trader

Still there in September, though?

sharpski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.