Visiting Seattle - Spring 2018

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by distantmantra, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,050) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Spring has sprung and many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Locations that offer crowler fills are included. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

Note: Unlike some other states, Washington has incredibly lenient growler laws. There are some exceptions, but if it's a clean sealable container you can probably have it filled with beer.

Highly Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing (kid friendly)
    Reuben's Brews (kid friendly)
    Holy Mountain Brewing (21+)
    Stoup Brewing (kid friendly)
    Cloudburst Brewing (21+)
    Seapine Brewing (kid friendly)
    Georgetown Brewing (kid friendly)
    Urban Family Brewing (kid friendly)

Other Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Machine House Brewing (kid friendly)
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse (kid friendly)
    Ravenna Brewing (kid friendly)
    Standard Brewing (21+)
    Rooftop Brewing (kid friendly)
    Lucky Envelope Brewing (kid friendly)
    Old Stove Brewing (kid friendly)
    Big Time Brewery (kid friendly)
    Ghostfish Brewing (all gluten-free) (kid friendly)

New Seattle Breweries (rotating list of new breweries that might not have existed the last time you visited)
    Mirage Beer
    Floodland Brewing
    Obec Brewing

Other, Non-Seattle, Washington Breweries To Look For

Bale Breaker (package/draft)
    Black Raven (package/draft)
    Chuckanut (draft)
    Engine House No. 9 (package/draft)
    Matchless (package/draft)
    Propolis (package/draft)
    Skookum (draft)
    Structures (package/draft)
    Three Magnets (package/draft)
    Wander (package/draft)

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub (21+)
    Brave Horse Tavern (21+)
    Brouwer's Cafe (21+)
    Burgundian (21+)
    Collin's Pub (kid friendly)
    Cooper's Ale House (21+)
    The Dray (21+)
    Latona Pub (21+)
    The Noble Fir (21+)
    The Pine Box (21+)
    The Park Public House (kid friendly)
    Seattle Beer Company (21+)
    Slow Boat Tavern (21+)
    No Anchor (21+)
    The Stumbling Monk (21+)
    Teku Tavern (21+)
    Toronado Seattle (21+)
    Beer Star (kid friendly)
    Uber Tavern (21+)
    Ounces Taproom & Beer Garden (kid-friendly)

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority (21+)
    The Beer Junction (21+
    Bottleworks (21+)
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District (kid friendly)
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood (kid friendly)
    Downtown Spirits
    Growler Guys (kid friendly)
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop (21+)
    Super Deli Mart (kid friendly)
    Vine Street Market

(A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria (kid friendly)
    Bitterroot BBQ (kid friendly)
    Barbecue Smith (kid friendly)
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub (kid friendly)
    Bramling Cross (21+)
    Giddy Up Burgers (kid friendly)
    Mammoth (kid friendly)
    The Masonry Queen Anne (21+)
    The Masonry Fremont (kid friendly)
    Mollusk (kid friendly)
    Quinn's Pub (kid friendly)
    The Yard Cafe (kid friendly)
    The Shambles (21+)
    Raven Leaf Public House (kid friendly)
    Salare (kid friendly)
    June Baby (kid friendly)
    Delancey (kid friendly)

Places with Crowler Machines
    Beer Junction
    Chuck's (both locations)
    Flatstick Pub
    Fremont Brewing
    Growler Guys
    Lowercase Brewing
    Old Stove Brewing
    Redhook Brewlab
    Reuben’s Brews
    Tin Dog

Curious what's on tap around the city? Not sure where you want to have a beer? Brew Notice is a, web-based, iOS and Android app that tells you when new beers are tapped at many Seattle area bars and breweries.

I have a Layover at SeaTac Airport. Where can I get a Beer?
    Unlike Portland, the beer options at SeaTac are slim. You should be able to find standard offerings from Bale Breaker, Black Raven, Airways and Fremont alongside Pyramid, Red Hook, Mac and Jacks and the regular airport fare like Sam Adams and Bud Light. There is nowhere that sells bottles or cans to go in the airport and no one offers growler fills. Seriously, PDX is way better when it comes to beer. These are your best options for a pint before your flight.

Africa Lounge – Main Terminal (A gates)
    Alaska Lodge – Main Terminal (D gates)
    Anthony’s – Main Terminal
    Dungeness Bay Seafood House – South Satellite (S Gates)
    Bigfoot Food and Spirits – North Satellite (N Gates)
    Seattle Taproom – Main Terminal (A gates)
    Seattle Seahawks 12 Club – North Satellite (N Gates)

There really isn't much around the airport. These are your best bets if you want to get out.
    13 Coins - Across the street from the airport
    Sharps Roasthouse - Two blocks from the airport

#1 distantmantra, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
    Keene, Tony_D, DamienI and 9 others like this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Thanks for doing this. A quick note, SeaTac is, or will soon be, doing a remodel of the terminal, which is going to limit the food/beer options even more than usual.

distantmantra likes this.
  3. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (406) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

4. blackcloud

blackcloud Aspirant (298) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

this is definitely already happening. The main food court area in the central terminal is all but completely blocked off. I believe signs say it will reopen in summer '19.

There is, however, a relative newcomer - Floret. Just past the Taproom. Only 4 beers on tap, but things not seen other places in the airport, and all good beers.

distantmantra and beertunes like this.
  5. distantmantra

Trader

Looks like they're owned by Cafe Flora. pFriem IPA on tap, too.

sharpski and ballardbeer like this.
  6. beertunes

Trader

@walterfredo asked a question this morning, just before the Winter edition got locked. Here's the Cut n paste:

"Flying into Seatac next Monday with the fam and heading from the airport directly to Lake Quinault for 2 days/1 night, before heading back to Seattle for the rest of the week. Looks like from Seatac to Lake Quinault we will be passing through Tacoma and Olympia. Any places not far off the path to swoop up some beers to take with us to Olympic NP?"

Not sure if Poulsbo is on his route, but I'd suggest Valholl if it is. I like Sound Brewing too. Not sure if Marina Market is still well-regarded: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27005/?view=ratings

Also, I'm a big fan of Silver City in Silverdale.

7. blackcloud

blackcloud Aspirant (298) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

indeed. i had a pfriem ipa on a layover last week. my usual seatac routine starts at the taproom, but will now be a few steps more for beers at floret. better atmosphere, for sure.

8. walterfredo

walterfredo Initiate (184) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Thanks for the recs on both this new one and the old thread.

Looking forward to a visit to Seattle next week and a brief detour to Olympic NP. Undoubtedly the majority of the beer-related time will be spent at Seapine (my buddy is brewer/co-owner), but have a condo conveniently rented two blocks from Cloudburst. The only two of the "highly recommended" I have not previously visited are Stoup (which I've had their beers and loved them) and Georgetown, so will likely try to make those a priority. Also seems like Urban Family has stepped it up since I was last their a couple years ago so may try to pop in their too. If not, I'll be in back in August!

9. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (166) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

Grab a six pack or two of Georgetown’s canned IPAs: Bodhizafa and Lucille

You can venture down to the tap room for free beer tasting (esp since you’ll be nearby at Seapine), but be aware it’s only open odd hours (10-6).

sharpski, beertunes and kemoarps like this.
  10. distantmantra

Trader

Urban Family has new ownership and brewers, they really have stepped it up and are focused on improving their perception locally.

11. beertunes

Trader

FTFY. :wink:

zestd, DamienI, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  12. Slamminson

Slamminson Initiate (48) Mar 24, 2012 Washington

Apparently the Cannery is no longer in business. From their Facebook page:
    "We here at theCannery would like to inform all of our friends.
    We will be closing the doors as of the first of the year.
    I have decided to focus more on a family situation that has come up.
    We have loved our 4 years here and all the new friends we have made.
    Thank you for all the fond memories.
    Cheers!"

13. distantmantra

Trader

Really wish I could edit my original post. I meant to include Obec under New Breweries and was going to include a mention of the BrewNotice App.

14. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,371) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Happy to help out. If you send me a copy of what you have in mind for the BrewNotice App, I'll see that it's added as well.

15. Vinithing

Vinithing Disciple (310) Feb 21, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

What part of town is best to stay in? My wife and I want to visit and usually do Airbnb. We like to walk around and explore.
    Thanks!

kemoarps likes this.
  16. distantmantra

Trader

I’d look for a place in North Seattle: Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, Greenwood, Green Lake. You could also look at Capitol Hill but North Seattle has the highest concentration of breweries and bars.

17. Robomunky

Robomunky Devotee (400) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Society

Capitol Hill and Ballard have the highest concentrations of good food. Ballard easily wins for beer. Capitol Hill is a short walk from downtown, where the touristy stuff is. If I were you, I'd choose Ballard and make good use of these damn rental bikes that sit around on all the corners.

If you get a nice sunny day while you're here, make it a priority to go to Marination Ma Kai in West Seattle, then head down to Beer Junction. You won't regret it.

#17 Robomunky, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  18. beertunes

Trader

I don't spend a lot of time down there (I have a well documented city allergy), but I'll throw this in: Depending on how you feel about using public transit, it kinda don't matter where you stay, IMHO. The bus system is solid, and the light rail is solid, and expanding. If you stay south of the City proper, you'll likely find a better price. Wutevz. Have a great visit!

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/travel-options/bus.aspx

19. Vinithing

Vinithing Disciple (310) Feb 21, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Perfect, thank you! Obvisouly we want to hit a bunch of breweries and beer related places. But we also want to do some exploring and nature related things too. I want to hit a concert at The Gorge and stay im Portland for a couple of days while we are in "the area"

kemoarps likes this.
  20. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (96) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

I would just find long term parking some place in the Ballard area and just Uber/Lyft to everywhere Northwest of downtown (A Cloudburst, Holy Mountain, Reuben's, Stoup, Fremont circuit is really easy to do.). It just takes away any potential stress of worrying about how much you've had to drink vs being safe to drive. Oh and you don't have to deal with Parking.

In terms of places to stay, I would look at AirBnB. We've found an awesome place that we always use now that's only $80 a night in the Northern Part of Ballard.

Slamminson and distantmantra like this.
  21. Slamminson

Slamminson Initiate (48) Mar 24, 2012 Washington

There are some groups that offer "Tours" of the breweries. I highly suggest that you visit the wealth of breweries, especially in Ballard, at your own pace. I've witnessed one of these third party tour groups pack the guests in a van only to drive one block and park at another brewery.

ballardbeer, vurt and beertunes like this.
  22. beertunes

Trader

Did anybody hit Cask Fest today? Particularly the first session? I ended up pouring the second session, and it seemed less busy than in past years. Was wondering if it's my imagination, if the event is losing it's luster, if other events drew folks away, or....... ?

23. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

That was a fest I never attended when I lived in Seattle. I always heard it was a fest people only went to because you got more bang for your buck? Do you still get like 20 tickets/tokens to start?

I would think the younger generation doesn't even know what cask beer is. I'm not a fan of it, so that's why I never went. Leave the real ale to the Brits. Us Americans need CO2 in our beer. :grinning:

24. beertunes

Trader

My allergies were kicking in, so I didn't even have a drop, but there were some interesting beers there. I've always been a fan of the fest. There's a wide variety of styles, some barrel-aged stuff, hoppy brews, even some cask versions of the currently popular Murky-bomb brews. It was a good fest, I was just a bit surprised by the low foot traffic. shrug.

BTW, there were plenty of younger folks there, I think the night sessions tend to draw younger than the day sessions. Some of my friends went down for the first round, then went over to Brouwers.

25. walterfredo

Trader

Follow up question for my previous question about places to pick up beers en route from SeaTac to Lake Quinault, Copper Door and Edison City in Tacoma were recommended in the previous thread. I think we’ll also be rolling through Olympia. What about good food options? These places have food too? Any other food (with beer a plus) recommendations along our route? Thanks!

26. distantmantra

Trader

Three Magnets Brewing in Olympia has good food.

Do you have kids? Copper Door is 21+ (as is Pint Defiance, which has the best to go selection in Tacoma), not sure about Edison.

27. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (264) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Copper Door just began food service, but is 21+, as @distantmantra noted. It is very close to some other good food options (I like Indo-Asian, one block away) so you could eat and then grab stuff to go (or have a beer at the bar if you're waiting for a table). Thriftway is right there and they have a pretty good selection of cans, and some crowlers to go.

If you ventured a little further into the interior of Tacoma you could hit up E9, which is family-friendly, has a huge menu, and a fridge full of their great sours and mixed fermentation beers. (They also have a big red cooler that has gems in it from time to time, like Fantome–but since you're coming up from California that's likely not as interesting.) The Red Hot is right there as well. (No bottles to go, but you can eat some food and have some pints.)

Just up from there is Peaks & Pints, also 21+ but good sandwiches and salads, pretty good bottle and can selection (which you can drink on site or take away), and a nice taplist.

Tacoma Boys on 6th has a great beer selection if you wanted to stop in after eating somewhere in that area.

Neither Pint Defiance or Edison City have food, and both are 21+. Both are great bottleshops, though.

If you're trying to get to the mountains as soon as possible, maybe a quick stop in Tacoma for bottles at Pint D or Tacoma Boys and food/beer in Olympia at 3 Magnets. Depends on how much time you have...

NWer, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  28. walterfredo

Trader

Yes on the kids. Thanks!

29. walterfredo

Trader

Is three magnets kid friendly?

30. distantmantra

Trader

Yep.

31. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (406) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I think their restaurant side is kid friendly. They change their shit around so much I’ve lost track, so I’m not 100% sure.

32. walterfredo

Trader

Good call on the three magnets. Thanks!

33. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (265) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Visiting this weekend from Boston. Is Hooverville my best bet for a spot near Safeco with a good draft selection for before/after a Mariners game this sunday? Also any advice on the beer selection inside Safeco would be appreciated, especially if there are updates from people who go to the first couple games this week.

My in laws just moved to Kirkland from New Jersey. Any Kirkland brewery or bar suggestions? Chainline Brewing sounds like it would be a decent option. Thanks

kemoarps, 66jzmstr and ballardbeer like this.
  34. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (166) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

Hooverville is indeed your best bet. You could venture further south and hit up Seapine before the game, but Hooverville is my go to.

https://craftbeermonger.files.wordp...erplate-safeco-field-beverage-initiatives.pdf

$6 bodhi is the best bang for your buck. Bale Breaker would be my draft rec.

kemoarps and kinopio like this.
  35. distantmantra

Trader

I love Hooverville, but you should also check out Collins Pub. On the other side of the stadiums but their taplist is typically much better.

Inside Safeco I'd also look at Fremont, Bale Breaker, Reubens and Stoup.

Chainline is probably as good as it gets in Kirkland.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  36. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (259) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

I would second the collins pub recommendation and as for Kirkland, I would check out Flatstick Pub. Cheers!

37. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (474) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

As for Kirkland breweries, Chainline is good. Flatstick Pub is down by the marina has only Washington State beer on tap, and many at that. If the weather is nice, take a walk around the marina to enjoy the view of downtown Seattle across the lake. If you need a bottle shop, The Cave, again still in Kirkland, has probably the best selection on the Eastside (i.e. if you can’t make it in to Seattle).

beertunes likes this.
  38. walterfredo

Trader

Currently staying in belltown about 1/2 south of Seattle center, staying near 1st and battery. In good spots within walking distance? We will be hitting up cloudburst for sure. Any other recommendations for good food and drink within a general mile radius?

39. distantmantra

Trader

No Anchor, Teku Tavern, Masonry Queen Anne and Holy Mountain. They're all 21+ (as is Cloudburst). Old Stove in the Market is worth checking out and kid friendly, too.

40. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (773) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

Collins Pub is my go-to pre-game beer spot.

As a huge baseball fan and one who goes to lots of Mariners games and visits ballparks in other cities when I travel, I can say without reservation that Safeco Field has one of the best --- if not the best --- selections of craft beer of any MLB ballpark. Good craft beer can be found throughout the stadium. The best spot IMO is near the Mariners HOF on the 100 level. And not far from the HOF, there's a spot that has two casks on tap. CASKS IN A MLB BALLPARK!

But you can find all of the beer selections in the stadium if you have the MLB Ballpark app --- it literally lists every beer served in stadium and the location(s) of those beers. I don't know if the app has been updated yet for this season but I used it frequently last season.

kemoarps, kinopio, Joshbiir and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.