Visiting Seattle (Summer 2017 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Locations that offer crowler fills are included. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing
    Seapine Brewing
    Georgetown Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Urban Family Brewing
    Old Stove Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    The Stumbling Monk
    Teku Tavern
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Downtown Spirits
    Growler Guys
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Pear Delicatessen
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Mollusk
    Quinn's Pub
    Red Payaya
    The Yard Cafe
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Places with Crowler Machines
    Tin Dog
    Beer Junction
    Fremont Brewing
    Chuck's (both locations)
    Lowercase Brewing
    Growler Guys
    Old Stove Brewing
    The Cannery
    Flatstick Pub

2. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Bottleworks got in tallboy cans of Brewligans IPA by 2nd Shift from St Louis. This isn't the first time they've had 2nd Shift stuff, anyone know what the relationship is between them?

3. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

Thanks so much for putting this list together! My wife and I will be in Seattle next month for the first time (no kids!) and will be hitting up several of these places. Coming from a major tourist town myself (Charleston), I understand the constant questions of where I should go to eat and drink.

4. drone

drone Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I've seen 2nd Shift at several shops around Seattle, both Chucks and Special Brews have Vanilla Liquid Spiritual Delight and a few others.

5. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

I believe Red Papaya closed.

6. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Sep 11, 2011 Washington

As much as I've liked Pear Deli in the past, I've been somewhat disappointed with their selection since I started working downtown again. DeLaurenti has a far more interesting selection if you're down at the market.

Texwild likes this.
  7. kingsleyr

So you're the guy... :wink:

King_Jaffe_Joffer9 likes this.
  8. BuckeyeOne

If this can be confirmed, @John_M can delete it from the list. I don't have the requisite permissions.

9. BuckeyeOne

10. Slamminson

Slamminson Mar 24, 2012 Washington

Reuben's has a Crowler Machine.

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  11. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Nice!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

So I'll be going to the Seattle-ish area for a week starting August 12th to explore the national parks and hopefully get some good beer in. I have some good itineraries set up for the few days we'll be in the city- the usual suspects- Holy Mountain/Cloudburst/Pike for breweries one day with possible beer bar stops at Collins Pub/Brave Horse/Pine Box/Teku, and Fremont/Stoup/Reuben's another day, with possible beer bar stops at Burgundian/Brouwer's/Noble Fir.

My question pertains where I'm staying for another part of the week- DuPont, WA. Any suggestions for stuff in that immediate vicinity (~20 minute radius). Any suggestions also for stuff in the Olympic National Park area- the towns to the north-ish of the park? Thanks in advance.

akukucka and BBThunderbolt like this.
  13. Robomunky

Robomunky May 14, 2015 Washington
    Trader

You should make Three Magnets in Olympia a priority while you're in Dupont. Best brewery South of Seattle.

GreesyFizeek likes this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

It's not really near the Mountains, but I highly recommend a visit to Port Townsend, which is on the Northeast-ish side of the Oly Pen. I'm also a huge fan of Silver City Brewery in Silverdale. And, there is now a nice little brewery cluster in the Poulsbo-Silverdale-Bremerton area.

15. distantmantra

Trader

Ehhhhh. I like Three Magnets but I'd give my vote to Engine House No. 9.

And if you go to Port Townsend you definitely need to hit Propolis.

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Seriously.

17. GreesyFizeek

Society Trader

When we're exploring Olympic National Park, we'll be staying in Sequim, which seems to be about 40 minutes from Port Townshend. Definitely doable. Thanks guys!

18. distantmantra

Trader

Not a ton of beer options in Sequim, FYI.

19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

IIRC, there's a couple places in Port Angeles, but I can't comment to their quality levels.

20. BuckeyeOne

No brewery options I can recall but I think I remember getting more than decent beer options at the Emerald Pub and the Dockside Grill. Both have really good food, that I remember for sure.

GreesyFizeek and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Having recently experienced the majesty of Matchless brewing in Tumwater, I have to say they and E9 are the best 2 breweries in the South Sound imho.

GreesyFizeek likes this.
  22. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Shhhh!

23. Robomunky

Trader

E9 somehow slipped my mind. Both great. Propolis for sure. Even the beers I don't love from them are still more interesting than 98% of the rest.

24. distantmantra

Trader

Three Magnets hasn't been as good since the dude left and started up Matchless.

sanford_and_son and ballardbeer like this.
  25. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just my two cents on this, but as someone who goes to E9 fairly frequently, I think a caveat needs to be made about their beer.

If you're a fan of BA wild ales/sours, then I guess I can understand why you might have such a high opinion of E9. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the style, and so I'm not overly appreciative or fond of E9 beers (have tried several of their BA sours on tap, and while I thought they were interesting, that's as far as I'm willing to go). I've tried most of their other beers on tap at the pub as well, and while everything has been fairly decent, I don't go to E9 looking for a chance to try their pale ale, IPA, wit or house saison.

They do have a great guest tap and bottle selection, which is the primary reason I like going there (prices are high at E9, but the selection is first rate). That being said, for those who DO love sours, E9 is having their annual sourfest from 8/19 to 8/21. I haven't seen any information about the taplist yet, but based on the various guest breweries that will be in attendance, I would expect the event to be incredible. Cheers!

GreesyFizeek likes this.
  26. grainbillxs

grainbillxs Dec 22, 2004 Washington

E9: generally agree with john_M and I love the E9 sours I can get. But I'm drinking E9 mosaic pogo stick ipa now and it is great.

ballardbeer likes this.
  27. distantmantra

Trader

I had a Citra Pogo Stick at the brewery last week and thought it was fantastic.

28. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Always try to keep an open mind about these things.

We'll be up that way again in just over a week, and I'm sure I'll stop by. If the Citra Pogo Stick is still on, I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

ballardbeer and BBThunderbolt like this.
  29. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Jul 23, 2012 Washington

100% truth

distantmantra likes this.
  30. GreesyFizeek

Society Trader

Thanks for all the tips guys! I really appreciate it. Incredibly excited for the trip.

31. GreesyFizeek

Society Trader

Also, does my cluster of brewery/bar stops above seem doable and make sense to people who actually live there? Anything missing, or should be replaced? I plan on walking and utilizing Uber, as I have more stops planned than I have sobriety.

"Holy Mountain/Cloudburst/Pike for breweries one day with possible beer bar stops at Collins Pub/Brave Horse/Pine Box/Teku, and Fremont/Stoup/Reuben's another day, with possible beer bar stops at Burgundian/Brouwer's/Noble Fir."

32. distantmantra

Trader

For your first day I'd either add or swap in Old Stove for Pike. Pike, Cloudburst and Old Stove are within walking distance of each other, and Holy Mountain is a short bike/car ride away. You could also walk there, the weather will be nice. I'd also add Urban Family after you go to HM. It's not very far away.

Your second day with Fremont, Reubens and Stoup? Go up to Chucks 85th. Brouwers and Burgundian are over in Fremont and Tangletown.

33. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Sep 11, 2011 Washington

We have a new bike share program in Seattle, and it's a nice 2-3 mile ride from the market to Holy Mountain, mostly along a waterfront trail. $1 gets you 30 minutes, which is plenty of time to get to Holy Mountain. There are green and orange bikes all over. (Also a nice walk that way.)

34. Robomunky

Trader

3M hasn't been quite as good, excepting Handle With Care, which was my favorite ipa so far this year. But I haven't been amazed by any Matchless yet, either. I don't know if they were just greater than the sum of their parts or if Matchless just didn't hit the ground running. Currently, I'm still more likely to order a 3M than a Matchless. Subject to change.

66jzmstr and sharpski like this.
  35. GreesyFizeek

Society Trader

Just looked at the list for Chuck's- looks awesome. Will have to try to squeeze it in.

36. Robomunky

Trader

Be a proper Seattleite for an evening. Do Fremont, Reuben's and then have your dinner from whatever food truck is at Chuck's that night. Truck food on the patio on a summer evening...well, it's pretty damn good .

37. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I thought being a proper Seattlite, means standing diffidently in the corner, being so cool that one doesn't interact with unknown people? Is "Seattle Cool" different than the "Seattle Chill"? I are so confuse.

DamienI and sharpski like this.
  38. Texwild

Texwild May 1, 2008 Washington

I hope they haven't closed because I'm still ISO their Sauvignon Blanc barrel aged blueberry and persimmon biere de gard 750s....very rare

sharpski likes this.
  39. kingsleyr

Seconded (basically a part of my daily commute, if I choose to make it so). Take the helix bridge over the train tracks at the old Amgen (soon to be Expedia) building - exit the trail just before the fishing pier. A short jaunt up 15th via either the dirt alley or the west sidewalk (it is legal to ride on the sidewalk in Seattle, just yield to peds) will get you there.

40. RankRefugee88

RankRefugee88 May 28, 2010 New York

Very helpful thread. Just so happens I'm going to be in Seattle next week for two days on my own before meeting with a friend in Portland. This should give me plenty to do. The BA community never lets down.

vurt, 66jzmstr and BBThunderbolt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.