Visiting Seattle (Winter 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended metropolitan-area Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Black Raven Brewing
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
    Machine House Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Hudson Public House
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern
    The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    99 Bottles
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Full Throttle Bottle
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Malt & Vine
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Bramling Cross
    Chippy's Fish and Drink
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Quinn's Pub
    The Yard Cafe
    Twisted Pasty

2. Cthulhusquid

Cthulhusquid Oct 5, 2015 Washington

What about suggestions that are in the general area, but not in Seattle? Tacoma Boys (bottle shop), Pint Defiance (bottle shop/beer bar) and Marina Market (bottle shop) are all favorites of mine.

3. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington

BTW - there is a biker coffee / beer café(?) called MIIR in Fremont. 20+ beers on draft & great coffee.

ballardbeer likes this.
  4. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

Good call - think that should clearly be added, particularly as its only a block or two from Fremont Brewing. It's a pretty sweet place, too.

GreenBayBA and sukwonee like this.
  5. BuckeyeOne

There are some on the current list --- particularly Black Raven and Malt & Vine in Redmond and 99 Bottles in Federal Way --- that are obviously not in Seattle proper. However, all three of these establishments are frequently suggested to visitors looking for places "in Seattle." I'm going to make an executive decision and say places in Tacoma are out --- they're not even in the same county.

66jzmstr, BBThunderbolt and NWer like this.
  6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Considering what a haul it is from Seattle to Tacoma it doesn't make sense IMO. I'd absolutely visit Tacoma more often driving there wasn't so time consuming and at times painful. You could always start a Visiting Tacoma thread I imagine ...

GreenBayBA and BBThunderbolt like this.
  7. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Is it too early to include Cloudburst?

GreenBayBA and kemoarps like this.
  8. TheBungyo

Pretty sure the tasting room isn't even open yet.
    Edit: Looks like it opens Thursday.

Strangestbrewer likes this.
  9. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Just my two cents on this, but I think this is a good call (for all that I frequent Tacoma a lot and think all those places are great). This reminds me of the member who suggested that we include de Garde in the PDX thread, even though dG is roughly 90 minutes from PDX. As was mentioned in that thread, if you start including places in Tillamook in a "visiting PDX" thread, then where do you draw the line? I think the same can be said of Tacoma... if you include Tacoma, then why not include Bellingham, Gig Harbor, and Bainbridge Island as well? At some point you have draw the line.

10. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

What about adding Bob's Liquor on Lake City to the bottle shop list?

GreenBayBA and ballardbeer like this.
  12. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

alright, you guys. i'll go on a recon mission this weekend to see if it's worthy of adding to the list.

but seriously, i had the no recess IPA last night and it's killer. everything i've tasted from cloudburst has been on point.

kemoarps likes this.
  13. ballardbeer

is black raven really a must-hit? i've been out there 4 or 5 times and i would find myself really hard-pressed to recommend making a 30 minute trek to an industrial park in redmond over georgetown or machine house (both in the "highly recommended" brewery list). if i'm out that way, i'm probably going to hifi over black raven, too.

maybe we could add a couple more seattle breweries to the list, too. standard, urban family, cloudburst, two beers, and lucky envelope all deserve consideration for visitors.

TheBungyo likes this.
  14. balto22

balto22 Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

I would throw flying lion as a brewery that deserves consideration as well. I haven't been out there for a while, but I seem to remember them doing some tasty brews.

15. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Jul 23, 2012 Washington

strong, strange words, good sir!

16. distantmantra

Trader

I feel like Black Raven has lost some of that luster they once had. Still turning out really good beer, but they've got more competition now. And bottles are all over the place.

Too early for Cloudburst, but Urban Family is doing some great stuff.

17. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

While I like Two Beers, I wouldn't include them as Must Visit. I'd put Naked City, Schooner Exact, and Georgetown ahead them.

GreenBayBA, sharpski and ballardbeer like this.
  18. ballardbeer

agree. and i'm not saying the aforementioned need to be listed even as 'highly recommended', but calling attention to them seems reasonable.

i'm a sucker for a good soundsystem. hi-fi beer isn't as good as black raven, but they make a good IPA and i like the atmosphere better.

#18 ballardbeer, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. TheBungyo

Black Raven is definitely a case of accolades for past glory IMO. Not to say they don't brew some good stuff, they do. I can't imagine they justify the amount of time it takes to drive out that way when a visitor can hit several of the great Ballard breweries in that time instead.

20. distantmantra

Trader

Great Grandfather Raven is absolutely fantastic and worth driving over to the Eastside for. Wisdom Seeker is still a pale imitation of what it once was.

21. TheBungyo

Yeah but how often is that even available? If I'm in Seattle on a visit for a few days do I want to make that trip and miss out on hitting a bunch of other great places? I'd rather spend time at breweries/beer bars than in the car attempting to go somewhere.

22. distantmantra

Trader

Once a year (and one of the few bottles that hasn't hit distribution in the past). Wasn't trying to defend their inclusion on the list one way or the other.

sharpski and TheBungyo like this.
  23. BuckeyeOne

Thanks, but I can't edit any longer. Maybe @John_M can do it.

24. BuckeyeOne

Where the hell have you all been? I asked for just these kinds of recommendations more than two weeks ago on the previous thread. Crickets. Oh, well. There's always the Spring update.

25. distantmantra

Trader

Too busy cheering on the Hawks while getting stoned and ice fishing.

sharpski, ballardbeer and BuckeyeOne like this.
  26. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

Maybe we should have a section that indicates cannabis stops along the way?

Hilliards -> 'Stash' -> NW Peaks
    Fremont -> 'Hastag' -> Miir

I kid, kind of.

GreenBayBA and grilledsquid like this.
  27. distantmantra

Trader

I think walking up Stone to Bottleworks after Hashtag would be more fun.

Or entertaining for me.

28. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

For good food and great beer, go to Hale's Brewery on Leary Way between Ballard and Fremont. They also have taps from some of the tiny breweries in the close area.

Another must-go-to place is Naked City Brewing at 86th and Greenwood Ave N.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. AlohaStyle

AlohaStyle May 28, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Love this thread, thanks! FYI... the last one on the list is closing today according to their website, Twisted Pasty.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  30. Arassuil

Arassuil Jan 21, 2008 Australia

I didn't mind going to RAT City and drinking at the industrial tin-shed that is Big Al's. They make an incredible red ale.
    Just don't leave anything valuable in your car and take the rotor with you. :wink:

GreenBayBA and vurt like this.
  31. ballardbeer

cloudburst rules. that is all.

Arassuil and TheBungyo like this.
  32. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

@VashonGuy, thanks for the deli mart link. I had no idea there was taps there. Damn, that's one of the cleanest looking tap listings I've seen online in a long time.

Also, I seen Tap City mentioned. Heck, you might as well walk next door to Flying Bike Coop Brewery while you're at it.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Sorry, Naked City and not Tap City.

34. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota

I am heading to Seattle at the end of February and want to thank you all for putting together this thread. Very helpful for planning a trip! Definitely want to hit Holy Mountain, Cloudburst, Reubens and Fremont. However, I have a couple of questions that I am hoping to get some additional insight on...

1. How often does Holy Mountain release bottles and how quickly do they usually sell out? Do they distribute?
    2. Is de Garde currently available in Seattle?
    3. (I got some great responses about this in the Fall 2015 thread, but...) I am attending Hops & Props - any insight from first hand experience with this event would be appreciated.

35. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I think I replied in the other thread, that I think it's the best fest around. But, I'm an aviation nerd too.:sunglasses: There is plenty of good, catered food. There's no tickets or tokens, it's all-inclusive. It's been a few years since I've been, but you got a logo pint glass, with an 8oz line. The pours were 8oz. Lots of local/regional breweries, and distributors also set up tables and pour from bottles of national and international brews. Well run event in a great venue. You will have fun. Lucky bastard.

Arassuil and SasquatchB2 like this.
  36. distantmantra

Trader

1. Holy Mountain releases are random. Sometimes the bottles hit distribution, sometimes they don't. Fruited sours sell out normally in a couple hours, other stuff lasts a week or longer. There are two bottles still available at the brewery as of today.
    2. De Garde distributes to Washington, but we've only had two shipments since June. Petit Desay and Bu Weisse in the first shipment and Saison Premiere was the second. All long gone.

Sorry if my post wasn't what you wanted to hear. :-/

37. TheBungyo

I definitely echo this. I've loved everything I've tried from them. I can't imagine them not being added to the "musts" section the next time this thread is updated.

Also, I'll be casting my vote for Urban Family to go into the "other" section at the very least. They're making delicious offerings over there.

ballardbeer likes this.
  38. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

anything noteworthy in West Seattle?

39. ballardbeer

Beer Junction, Beveridge Place Pub, Super Deli Mart

kemoarps, Arassuil and TheBungyo like this.
  40. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.