Visiting Seattle (Winter 2017 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Locations that offer crowler fills are included. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing
    Seapine Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Urban Family Brewing
    Old Stove Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Teku Tavern
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Downtown Spirits
    Growler Guys
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Pear Delicatessen
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Mollusk
    Quinn's Pub
    The Yard Cafe
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Places with Crowler Machines
    Tin Dog
    Beer Junction
    Fremont Brewing
    Chuck's (both locations)
    Lowercase Brewing
    Growler Guys
    Old Stove Brewing
    The Cannery
    Flatstick Pub

#1 BuckeyeOne, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2017
    ClayborneCR, Raj, TheBungyo and 6 others like this.
  2. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I've been in Lacey for a little over a year and I still use this thread (and the Portland version) every time I'm in those cities. Thank you to those who keep these threads updated.

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

FWIW, Beveridge Place Pub had an awesome Barrel list yesterday, I suspect stuff would still be on. Beers from Aslan, Boulevard, Breakside, Deschutes, Holy Mountain, Joseph James, Pfriem, Prearis, Selkirk, Skookum, Two Beers, and Wander.

4. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Stopped in at Growler Guys after (yes. wait for it) a run today. Their bottle selection is small and not impressive, and the draft selection doesn't stand up to a lot of our other places around town in terms of hyped beers, but I still like it. Friendly staff, great pricing and a cool space. That Positron sure hit the spot.

I also ran by where The Shambles is gonna be in Maple Leaf. Windows still papered over but there's a notice on the door. Hopefully they open up soon.

5. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Could be that Seattle represents a new list of local distributors for GG, and they're toward the back of a long line of venues looking for special beers. Dunno if the buyer for that location is in Seattle or Bend.

NWer, ballardbeer and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yeah, plus being a new open, they're not gonna get the cetaceans right of the bat. BTW, do the GGs in OR order from a central location, does each store do their own ordering, or kind of an "area" set-up?

distantmantra likes this.
  7. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I scanned the article on this website about the best new breweries of 2016 and saw Perihelion. I hadn't heard of them, nor do I think I've ever seen a reference to them in this forum. Anybody been? Thoughts?

8. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

My understanding is that Dolly at HQ orders for most locations if not all but one. The manager of the Bend Westside location does her own ordering; I thought she was the only exception but there may be others, or it may have changed since I heard that. Basically, I know very little and have nothing specific to contribute.

EdwardAbbey and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. distantmantra

Trader

I read that article. My response was "WHAT? WHY?"

The food there is good. The beer is not.

That could explain why there's a bunch of Bend breweries always represented at the Seattle store.

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  10. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm fairly certain that Brendan (at PDX SE GG) does his own ordering as well. The selection there is far superior to what I've seen at any other GG, and they routinely get in kegs (including cask on occasion) that I see at no other GG. Conversations I've had with Brendan... he certainly gives one the impression that he does his own ordering for his store (though it would be helpful if @TaborTime could weigh in and confirm).

I don't want to misquote Brendan, but my recollection is that when he first opened, he mentioned that there were certain beers (RPM and hop venom come to mind) that were allocated, and that it would be some months before the distributor would be able to fill his order. So that might partially explain the relatively current mundane selection at the Seattle GG.

#10 John_M, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  11. distantmantra

Trader

Big Al's is closing up shop this Saturday. I used to spend a lot of time with some friends who used to live down on Delridge.

12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Big Al Brewing?

EDIT: Yup, just checked FB. Saturday will be their last day. It's a shame. I like Al, and I liked his beers. His Time Capsule series were some of the most interesting beers I had last year. This sucks.

#12 BBThunderbolt, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  13. distantmantra

Trader

Lagunitas is open to the public starting today. Wed-Sun 2-9pm. No beer brewed on site yet, and 21+ until they get their kitchen open later this year.

Erik-P, NWer and DamienI like this.
  14. lloydboss

lloydboss May 9, 2014 Illinois

Long time lurker in the NW forum, first time poster. I now get to travel from Chicago to Seattle for work a few times a year & love how you have this thread & info that you keep current.

Background: I'm coming to town next week for a few days on a work trip, staying in SODO, have a car, but am not looking to drive more than ~30 minutes each way. In prior trips I've been to Fremont, Holy Mountain, Cloudburst & Schooner Exact as well as The Pine Box & Collins Pub. I usually bring a few bombers back to Chicago with me, either from Fremont or HM. I'm definitely hitting Seapine this trip & Fremont for some Phantom Chair cans/crowler (and BBOMB bottles if any are left at the UBG).

Questions: I haven't been to a bottle shop yet & would like to this trip. Between Chuck's CD, Beer Junction & Bottleworks which would be your recommendation if I only go to one? I'm open on style, looking for fresh PacNW offerings either in bomber or crowler I can fly back with. If any of the bottle shops carry Belgian beers & would have Tilquin or 3F geuze that would be a bonus.

Other question - if there are two or three "can't miss/must try" beer-centric restaurants or bars from the list in this thread that you would recommend for a dinner one of the nights what would those be?

thanks!

bwelch21 likes this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

For bottle shops I'd do Chucks or Beer Junction and skip Bottleworks. BW has a great selection of bottles, but they don't do crowlers like Chucks and BJ. I'd look at the taplists for the two Chucks locations and go to the one you like more. I'd also recommend getting some Intergalactic Hop Shop cans if Chucks still has them.

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Which seems odd. IIRC, the requirement to sell food has been modified, and even then, only applied to places that served spirits. Do they have a full bar there? FWIW, you can get around the food requirement merely by carrying frozen dinners.

17. lloydboss

thanks!

18. distantmantra

Trader

You should also download the Brew Notice app. It covers a great deal of the bars/taprooms around Seattle and is constantly being updated.

chinochino likes this.
  19. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I think it depends on whether your priority is the beer or the food.

I'd highly recommend The Masonry, near Seattle Center. They've got a limited menu of quite good food, but they're not the spot for a multicourse gourmet dinner. They've got creative wood fired pizzas, some good salads, and a few other dishes (clams in beer, e.g.).

The beer list is focused, but excellent. 14 taps for beer, and a couple of ciders. Last night when we were there, it was heavily focused on saisons, sours, and the like. One DeGarde, about five from Holy Mountain, a terrific Rodenbach Vintage, some other Belgians. They change up their list quite a bit, so you might want to check their website ahead of time and review the menu there. Last night, it wouldn't have been the spot if you were in the mood for choosing among a bunch of stouts or other dark beers (although they did have Abyss), nor were there many IPAs to choose from. On another visit, it could be quite different. Regardless of the emphasis, it will be an interesting list.

If you want a fancier meal, look elsewhere.

20. lloydboss

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. Looks like The Masonry isn't too far from Fremont or HM. Definitely not looking for any place fancy, so this should work well.

21. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

HI guys, I'll be in Seattle in 2 days, and I just found out Beer Junction has great, great tap list. However, I'm staying around Beacon Hill station, and will be visiting Pike Place Market during the daytime.

So I was thinking about visiting West Seattle at night, like 8~9pm . However, I'm worried about the atmosphere of the city at night. What's it like? I know every place can be safe and danger at the same time, but night at Brooklyn really freaked me out. :slight_frown: Thanks!

22. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

The West Seattle Junction is a pretty tame neighborhood at night. You should be aware that Beer Junction closes at 10 most nights (except Friday and Saturday), so don't go too late. Some parts of downtown Seattle can seem a little scuzzy at night. They don't make me nervous, but YMMV.

Also, Beer Junction has just finished its "Barrel Junction" event, so the taplist had a huge number of barrel aged offerings. That will be changing now, although they usually keep a bunch of the offerings going for several days after the official close of an event. On Saturday (4th), they start Chocolate Beer Week.

#22 VashonGuy, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    BBThunderbolt likes this.
  23. mjmcnns

mjmcnns Jan 28, 2014 Canada (BC)

Whenever I typically visit Seattle I tend to hit the same spots (Collins, Pine Box, Bravehorse, sometimes Brouwers, those sort of place). I'm trying to figure out if there are any slightly more restaurant/less pub spots in those areas that I could be considering. Sixgill seems somewhat appropriate, but seafood dominant menu isn't ideal for this particular travel group.

24. distantmantra

Trader

Toronado, Latona Pub, Burgundian, Yard Cafe.

25. BuckeyeOne

The list above --- in the OP --- includes beer-centric restaurants.

sharpski likes this.
  26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

After looking at the Six Gill website, I get the impression he's looking for something a bit more upscale then most of the places under the restaurant list. Also, based on what I'm seeing on their website, it looks like you might need to remove Bell + Whete from the list.

27. distantmantra

Trader

Six Gill isn't any fancier than some of the places we've mentioned.

28. mjmcnns

Thanks all. Sixgill may not have been the best example. John_M is correct, I'm generally hoping for some recos for spots that are even a half-step up from the standard pub fare.

29. BuckeyeOne

Since I'm not a moderator, I don't have the permissions to remove anything from the OP. Hmmm, wondering who might?

Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until the spring update to make the change.

30. BuckeyeOne

Of those on the list, Quinn's Pub and Bramling Cross are your best bets. These are more than a half-step up from standard pub fare.

NWer and mjmcnns like this.
  31. distantmantra

Trader

I guess we have different standards of what equates "pub fare," cause many of the food options at Toronado, Yard and Burgundian sure ain't burgers, sandwiches and fried stuff.

NWer, Joshbiir, boralyl and 1 other person like this.
  32. BuckeyeOne

I agree with your take on the quality of their food, though I don't think of any of these threee as restaurants.

distantmantra likes this.
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Took care of it. Just wanted to have you take a look and verify before I removed it (as the list wasn't something I created, and it didn't seem right to remove a listing without asking your permission first).

34. mjmcnns

Thanks again all. I'll likely end up doing what I always do (glancing at current lists) and making an educated guess based on that.

35. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Hey folk.

My s/o is on an interview trip in Seattle now. She's looking for a beer bar esque place to get a pint or couple. I see the list atop, but not sure which would be best rec'd for proximity nor quality. She's staying near 42nd & Roosevelt, near UWMed. Thanks in advance.

36. chinochino

chinochino Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Blue moon tavern. Def not quality but very Seattle. Then walk up to University and bar hop.

EdwardAbbey and brother_rebus like this.
  37. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Big Time on the Ave would be very close for her, and well worth a stop. Floating Bridge is another brewery with a tap room that's right there. A longer walk or short bus ride would take her to the Latona Pub (a personal favorite) or Toronado. The same, but in a different direction, would take her to Bottleworks, where maybe she could be persuaded to bring some travel gifts home for you.:wink:

38. distantmantra

Trader

Toronado, Latona Pub, Eureka in U Village.

brother_rebus likes this.
  39. Parsoncr

Parsoncr Mar 16, 2016 Wisconsin

I'll be staying in downtown Seattle for a few nights (feb 16-21) and was wondering if there were any decent releases this week or good places to load up on some local beer to bring home? Love to try some hops from the area, also looking for some stouts (imperial/BA if any). Thanks in advance for any help!

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  40. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

do y'all get fresh (within the monthstime) Oakshire Watershed IPA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.