Visiting Seattle (Winter 2018 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Locations that offer crowler fills are included. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing
    Seapine Brewing
    Georgetown Brewing
    Urban Family Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Old Stove Brewing
    Big Time Brewery
    Ghostfish Brewing (all gluten-free)

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    Seattle Beer Company
    Slow Boat Tavern
    The Stumbling Monk
    Teku Tavern
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Downtown Spirits
    Growler Guys
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Barbecue Smith
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry (Fremont and Queen Anne locations)
    Mollusk
    Quinn's Pub
    The Yard Cafe
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Places with Crowler Machines
    Beer Junction
    The Cannery
    Chuck's (both locations)
    Flatstick Pub
    Fremont Brewing
    Growler Guys
    Lowercase Brewing
    Old Stove Brewing
    Redhook Brewlab
    Reuben’s Brews
    Tin Dog

Smokesnotes, woemad, kemoarps and 9 others like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Once again, thanks for doing this.

woemad, kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Great list as always. Too bad The Shambles didn't open in time, maybe it'll make the Spring list.

4. Ma9573

Ma9573 Feb 21, 2017 California
    Trader

Does Cloudburst have its own thread? I just did a search and went through the first 7 pages before giving up.

Anyway, I'm a horrible planner when it comes to my business trips and beer. I like to book my trips to arrive Sunday night late/Monday morning and leave Wednesday evening after meetings. This allows me to then catch up on Thursday and Friday, which is good from a work perspective.

What it's bad for is beer. I seem to always be passing by Moonraker while it's closed, and likewise it's now been back to back trips that I've not been able to hit Cloudburst. I bring this up not because I think Cloudburst is a must hit every time - they're good, but I prefer Reubens as my go to brewery and then hitting up the awesome beer shops like Chuck's, Beer Junction, etc. I mean filling growlers and crowlers at a bar??? That's amazing to me, being from CA! Ok, I'm babbling.

Basically, the point is I have two empty Cloudburst growlers that I won't be able to exchange for the deposit. If anybody is interested in them, let me know. I'll probably try to hit up Reubens tomorrow afternoon around 3 and can bring them with me.

Cheers!

5. BuckeyeOne

While I have no doubt that when Matthew and Joel finally get The Shambles open, it will be more than list worthy. But it really didn't make sense to add them until they were open. Believe me, when it does, I'll be the first to post in this thread.

6. BuckeyeOne

Just to be clear --- I don't think breweries take their growlers back for deposit per se. They certainly allow exchanges of their own growlers for pre-filled growlers. Also, unlike California, you can fill any labeled growler at any brewery, e.g., you can get those Cloudburst growlers filled at Reuben's, Chuck's, et al.

woemad and sharpski like this.
  7. distantmantra

Trader

I've never heard of a WA brewery offering any sort of refund/return on unwanted growlers.

Oh for certain, I wasn't suggesting it make the list without being open for a while first. Just that they've been hit with so many delays with permitting.

8. Ma9573

Trader

To clarify, Cloudburst doesn't just give you cash back. They apply $5 towards your next fill. Or at least they have for me 3 or 4 times.

9. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Oct 9, 2016 California

You should note that Georgetown does not serve taster flights or beer on premises but simply lets you taste beer and buy it to go either in a Growler or cans/bottles. Also Cloudburst does not offer tasters as of the last time i visited.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Making individual mentions of whether breweries offer flights or not seems a bit too in-depth.

*Holy Mountain doesn't do tasters or flights, either.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  11. sdhopaddict

Well it is the exception not the rule. Holy Mountain does half pours at least even though they are priced high. Even just noting that Georgetown doesn't technically have a tasting room would be important. I assumed it was a standard tasting room until I finally visited.

vurt likes this.
  12. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

If you're choosing where to visit based on whether they do tasters or not... I can't help you. I understand the temptation to try it all, but when I reflect back I find that the taster size really isn't enough to actually understand that beer (and I could often pass on at least half the flight). Anecdotally, the brweries in Seattle that don't serve tasters tend to be the 'best' breweries IMHO.

ewendel, NWer, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  13. distantmantra

Trader

I like places that offer small pours, but that's to cut down on my alcohol intake. Commit to a beer or two, you'll feel better.

sharpski, tomohawk1 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  14. tomohawk1

tomohawk1 Jan 9, 2018 Washington

I like my Coors cold in a frosted glass.

15. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Any idea when? I'll be up there the first full week in February.. The place sounds intriguing.

16. distantmantra

Trader

Should be any day now.

StoutSnob40 likes this.
  17. sdhopaddict

Well considering I only usually spend a couple of days in Seattle at any given time as I am based out of San Diego tasters are a big part of a visit if I want to visit more than 1 brewery in a day. I could easily spend all day at Holy Mountain but then I wouldn't get to try other spots. Same thing goes for any other area I visit. When you have 2 days to visit 6 breweries tasters are essential.

Erik-P and Ma9573 like this.
  18. distantmantra

Trader

I just normally have one beer at each place, maybe two. Even when traveling. [shrug]

Also, I'll be taking over Visiting Seattle duties with the Spring update, so feel free to fling ideas my way.

19. Ma9573

Trader

100% agree about tasters. I'm in Seattle for work right now and generally when I come up here each month I will get some crowlers of beers I like, to bring home for friends. This was a really bad trip for local Seattle hops, which I think just had to do with it being winter and most breweries focusing elsewhere. I'm glad I didn't have to commit to full pours of anything I tried.

I went to Redhook with a co-worker. Got a flight of 6 beers and and two splashes and only one did I have more than a sip of. Was at Reubens yesterday, and while it's normally my fav in the area, of the 5 tasters I had I only enjoyed one there as well. Likewise I hit up both Chuck's locations and had 8 tasters between them with splashes of a couple others - I only liked one. I even took a leap of faith in 4 staff recommended cans...and drain poured 3 of them.

But the total cost out of pocket was only <$30 for the tasters and I got to try 19 local beers I'd never had before (not including the 4 splashes and cans of course).

20. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Oof. Those aren’t the kind of percentages anyone likes to see. Have a hard time believing the season affected these breweries’ ability to put out good hoppy offerings, but I hope your next trip proves more successful.

NWer likes this.
  21. Robomunky

Robomunky May 14, 2015 Washington
    Trader

All due respect, if you only like 1 out of 5 beers at Reuben's, there's something wrong with you.

NWer, grainbillxs, derkruk and 3 others like this.
  22. Ma9573

Trader

Well, I'm on record stating that Reuben's is my go to in Seattle because I generally love their Crush series and other Haze and West coast special releases. But anyway, in response to your comment, these are the 5 tasters I had:

Haze maze good
    Bits and Bobs meh
    Roasted Rye not great
    Hop Tropic mediocre
    Imperial Black IPA admittedly not my style.

I'd already had Triumpherate so didn't try it even though I like it. I think Crikey is average so didn't try that either.

So there you have it, 1 of 5. Just happened to be a weak hops list for them this time around. But I'll be back next month!

23. Slamminson

Slamminson Mar 24, 2012 Washington

Stoup has been my go to place for IPAs. Participation Trophy is my favorite right now. You just won't find any hazy ones, which is fine by me.

itracy63 and vurt like this.
  24. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Nov 17, 2015 Washington

Roasted Rye is far from a hoppy IPA. They describe it as a mix between an IPA and a winter warmer. I'm not surprised you didn't like it if you wanted hops. Don't confuse it with the Imperial Rye IPA though, which is delicious.

Hop Tropic is a Pale Ale, so naturally less hops than you might want if you are a hop head. Same with Crikey, really. If you really want hops, I doubt many flagship IPAs are going to knock your socks off. However, I was there this weekend and they had Bloody Crikey (Crikey randalled through blood oranges) which I'd recommend you try if you get a chance.

A bit surprised you don't like Bits and Bobs though. A bit on the sweeter side, but certainly full of hops and I'm loving every sip. Given what you said about liking their special releases (Blimey? Gobsmacked? Expat? Imperial IPA?), I would've guessed you would like this one.

25. Ma9573

Trader

I honestly wouldn't have tried the Rye, or Hop Topic, or the Black IPA. In fact they've all been there the 5 or 6 times I've been to Reubens and I've ignored them for things like the crush series, the fresh hop series, international juice, 3Way, etc.

26. stillill

stillill Mar 6, 2016 Washington

Why would shambles automatically be included on the list, when we know nothing about their food or beer first-hand?

27. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Sep 11, 2011 Washington

If you know who's involved, you know it's a safe bet.

kingsleyr, ewendel, NWer and 2 others like this.
  28. stillill

Yeah, a guy from Fremont Brewing and a guy from Whole Foods. It doesn't elicit "next best thing" status in my book. I will wait until they earn their stripes.

29. distantmantra

Trader

The PDX thread inspired me to talk about new Seattle breweries hopefully opening within 2018.

Floodland
    Burke Gilman Brewing

Any others?

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  30. jpbebeau

:rolling_eyes:

Well I guess you've read everything you need to know on the Internet. If you knew something outside of that, like, personally knew the people involved, or had any sense of Seattle beer scene history–and I admit I don't go that far back–you'd know that they've "earned their stripes" long ago. And that's why people are excited in the first place.

kingsleyr, ewendel, NWer and 5 others like this.
  31. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Nov 17, 2015 Washington

I believe Unified and Fair Isle are both in Seattle.

32. jpbebeau

Did Fair Isle actually get a spot? I know they intend to be in Seattle, but if they don't have a spot yet, I'm not sure we can count on them opening in 2018.

33. stillill

What did I say that wasn't true? That's what those two do. And I did read it on the internet, which is what most people do to get information these days. Are you, by chance, involved in the business?
    I didn't notice BBQ Smith get pushed to be put on the list before they opened.

34. distantmantra

Trader

Everything I’ve heard suggests that Fair Isle has very lofty goals and good intentions with the beer, but a lack of understanding when it comes to the Seattle real estate market.

derkruk, sharpski, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  35. BuckeyeOne

Was The Shambles included on the list before they opened? I update this list and I’m pretty sure I didn’t include them.

[I just checked. They’re not on the list.]

ewendel, NWer, Rip_City and 4 others like this.
  36. Slamminson

Slamminson Mar 24, 2012 Washington

What is "The Shambles"?

37. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

In this context, it is a forthcoming bar & butcher in Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood, which shall be run by two people whose knowledge, expertise, experience, passion, skill, and service-commitment is pretty much second to none in our community. Building this place has been a labor of love for them, and, countless bureaucratic and other delays notwithstanding, they're finally close.

Here's their website: http://www.delimeatsbar.com/

kingsleyr, NWer, derkruk and 2 others like this.
  38. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I did not need to see photos of such magnificent pastrami at this hour of the night. And yet I am somehow still glad that I did.

NWer, EdwardAbbey and BBThunderbolt like this.
  39. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

In the smallness that is Hamsterham, I also encountered @TheBungyo today. He was having a, ahem, "business meeting". I believe he'll be interested in this project as well.

vurt likes this.
  40. stillill

You and distant mantra, who said this-"Too bad The Shambles didn't open in time, maybe it'll make the Spring list," strongly suggested that, if it was open, it would be on the list with pretty much no vetting at all. How can you include a place on the list right when they open? At one time I suggested Teku be added right after they opened and the idea was vetoed, even though it's clearly it's in the upper echelon of beer bars in our city

drone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.