Visiting Tillamook (Fall 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by deGardebrewing, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dka67

Dka67 Aspirant (286) Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Yea. At Tin Bucket. I did see a lot of empty Broken Truck bottles laying around. And bottles of de Garde 4sale. But looking at the trade forums, some bottles made it out of the establishment.

2. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (33) Aug 15, 2014 North Carolina

That's cool they are still hooking it up for the Tin Bucket. I didnt know they were involved with the blending process, pretty neat. I'm curious to try their gueuze inspired beer. Hoping there will be bottle pours of any of them at the anniversary party, if not I will live on :slight_smile:

I've listened to a lot of interviews with Trevor but does anybody know how long they condition and whether or not they do the whole horizontal bottle storage for aging like some lambic brewers? Roughly 2/3 pilsner malt 1/3 unmalted wheat? Turbid mash? Just curious to learn more about their process on this magical style. Carbonated naturally with the young lambic inspired beer providing the sugar and more fresh yeast?

#362 MorningDew72, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  3. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (498) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Let's not ruminate on this.

My clam gun has a scope and laser sights.

(Late to thread, but survived 10+ pages of reading!)

Oh, and this:

[​IMG]

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,027) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Thanks for getting this thread back where it belongs. Too much serious chatter in here lately.

5. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

This.

But also, yeah. Broken Truck was released at Tin Bucket on Friday.
    I know we aren't going to make a lot of friends by doing a silent release, but that's what we did.
    Our thoughts were that the folks that patronized Tin Bucket regularly would benefit, that those most local and most likely to go there again would benefit, and that it would keep any potential lines or wait to a minimum.
    All of which seemed to happen (though as always, less than perfect).
    It may get lost in people being silly about beer, but this beer is still blended for them, as our business wouldn't be here without them. We try to do what's right to support their customers, and potential customers.
    We are selling all of our bottles for on premise consumption only. Our hope is that anyone who wants to try it, can. Without having to wait in a line, leave work early, or pay/trade a ridiculous amount.
    It's just beer. Let's (hopefully) enjoy it.

Now resume the clam gun fights.

kemoarps, Jvrdz24, Bobbyk503 and 14 others like this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

FTFY.

deGardebrewing and ballardbeer like this.
  7. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,103) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

CLAM GUN FIGHT!!!

kemoarps, 66jzmstr, vurt and 3 others like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

My mussels can beat up your clams!

jbakajust1 and deGardebrewing like this.
  9. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (498) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Never bring a handtruck to a clam gun fight.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Especially when you can bring both.

We're teetering into some Mad Max territory shit now.

Two Clam Guns enter, one hand truck leaves...

kemoarps, jbakajust1, vurt and 3 others like this.
  11. Earthwire

Earthwire Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 Colorado

Visiting PDX and scored a Broken Truck on Friday. Tin Bucket is rad.

Nachojon and deGardebrewing like this.
  12. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

One of my favorite bars in town.

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I will mount clamguns and oystertorpedoes to my handtruck. Combined with the ground assault of my Tactical Cows, we will prevail.

Kurmaraja, 66jzmstr and sharpski like this.
  14. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (539) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

My apologies for interrupting the clam gun talk, but just had a quick question :grinning: … wife & I from SoCal will be visiting de Garde on Saturday for the first time … any Tillamook lunch recommendations besides that pizza joint (nothing against Tillamook pizza)? To-go food is not a requirement, figure we'll eat it at the restaurant or whatever. A nearby seafood joint would be ideal … maybe that bird cheese place? … just came across Café Botanica in Hidden Acres Garden Center which looks pretty cool. Thank you in advance!

15. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

My girlfriend and I were just in town two weeks ago and we both loved Tacos La Providencia. Taco truck, yes, but they do have indoor seating right next to the truck if that's an issue. Really tasty food.

16. AlexM

Trader

Yeah that place gets kick ass Yelp reviews ... definitely on the list to consider

17. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (279) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Tacos La Providencia (food truck) seems to be the favorite of many de Garde goers. There's a place out in Netarts (about 10 minutes west of Tillamook) called The Schooner that I think is decent. Others may not agree. Pacific Oyster, about 10 minutes north in Bay City, is pretty good for seafood. If you're coming from the south, stop in Pacific City and get a crab hoagie or 2 at Haystack Coffee Roasters.

AlexM likes this.
  18. AlexM

Trader

Thank you! The Schooner might work because we are hitting Cape Meares before de Garde ... saw that Pacific Oyster / The Fish Peddler joint - looks interesting, kinda dig the rustic factory vibe of it.

Coming in from PDX ... need to get a pic of #pdxcarpet :grinning:

19. drone

drone Disciple (372) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Assuming you have a car, drive 15-20 minutes west to Oceanside and visit Roseanna's. Great spot right on the ocean with some pretty delicious food. Great little town without all of the touristy fluff, like Seaside.

That Mexican food truck is also fantastic.

oregonskibum and AlexM like this.
  20. PNW_Whalez

PNW_Whalez Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Washington

+1 for Pacific Oyster. Low key, fresh seafood. Kelley's Place in Garibaldi is great as well.

AlexM likes this.
  21. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,315) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

They've been replacing the carpet with something newer, so I don't know how much of it is left, although I did see some in Concourse A (near the Laurelwood Brewing restaurant/pub) last December:

[​IMG]

22. AlexM

Trader

Thank you for the heads-up about #pdxcarpet ... I did some research and indeed it looks like there is still some OG carpet in Terminal A / Alaska Airlines

23. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

This talk of PDX carpet makes me wonder; what, exactly, is a Tillamook Carpet?

Kurmaraja likes this.
  24. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

Forest.
    Or water.
    Could be pasture too.
    Probably plaid made from those things.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  25. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

A thin but thorough covering of cow farts/poop.

VashonGuy and BBThunderbolt like this.
  26. songfulchris

songfulchris Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 Oregon

Tillamook carpet is camouflage , made from shitty dread locks from Colorado smeared in the finest cow dung.

27. drone

drone Disciple (372) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Did they misspell barrel on the Houblon Melange label or is the font weird? Also, a quad from dG? I cannot wait.

28. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Washington

Anyone know if there are any Bu glasses left? I really wanted to head down today but had to wait until tomorrow.

B4CCHU5 likes this.
  29. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2009 Oregon

You should be fine tomorrow, at least near opening. With a nice weekend and Washington's spring break wrapping up, I suspect it will be a busy day.

30. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, after the FB post earlier today, the earlier ya can get there, the better, I suspect.

31. distantmantra

Trader

Seattle's spring break is next week, FYI.

32. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

I'm pretty sure quantity pp is limited, so that more people get a chance at the Bu memorial glass. That being said, the worst case scenario is that you don't get a glass and find yourself at dG? Swish.

B4CCHU5 and vurt like this.
  33. TheBungyo

Can someone explain to me why people freak the funk out about de Garde glasses? I absolutely don't get it.

34. jtirpak22

Typically I would have that exact outlook, but I'm out of town the next five weekends, including the anniversary party down there. A 10+ hour roundtrip wasn't something I had planned for my only weekend at home for the next month+.

It's actually less to do with de Garde and more to do with a brewery that I love making a glass with a cat on it and my gf who loves both de Garde and cats. I know, seems silly but it would make her year.

So, if anyone local wants to help me out, I could reimburse + other glassware or beer to thank you and meet up at the anniversary party to exchange. Normally I wouldn't even think twice about making the trip down, just too much going on over the next month and a half to do it this weekend.

35. TheBungyo

Honestly was not calling you out. The craziness started long before this iteration.

BBThunderbolt, vurt and jtirpak22 like this.
  36. jtirpak22

No worries, thought nothing of it. Coveting glassware and limited release glassware has always baffled me. More sentiment than anything for me on this one.

I'd love to see Fremont do one for Boat the Cat, their unofficial UBG mascot.

B4CCHU5 likes this.
  37. Bobbyk503

Bobbyk503 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Oregon

This ^ go here. Tacos are great, i know, my girlfriend is mexican. Oh yeah and hand made tortillas

w_klon likes this.
  38. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Crusader (734) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Any update on this?

39. PNW_Whalez

PNW_Whalez Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Washington

Imp Blackberry and Imp Marion were both sold out of the taproom over the last month or so.

40. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,315) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'm pretty sure he's asking about the unfruited Bu Weisse, which saw some distribution last year (alongside Petit Desay).

JouerAvecLeFeu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.