Visiting Tillamook (Fall 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by deGardebrewing, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 Oregon

Buoy Pils and oysters sounds like a lot of win!

maltmaster420 and vurt like this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,103) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Looks like San Dune has live music on Saturday nights. Hopefully it's not "the only show in town" so we can get in for some food.

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,840) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Unless things have changed drastically since I was last there (and they may well could have, as it's been a while), dining options in the area are a bit limited. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the place gets a bit crowded (it's a good size place, but even so, they were doing a booming business the Saturday afternoon I stopped in). Good luck.

4. songfulchris

songfulchris Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 Oregon

So, where do I get Trinity in Tillamook? Would that be 40 miles west of Tillamook?

5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

40 wiles west of Tillamook is ~30 miles into the Pacific Ocean. Which makes me think that maybe I should start a floating pirate bottle shop in international waters. We could sell actual whales and fully automatic clam guns.

kemoarps, 66jzmstr, Curb71 and 9 others like this.
  6. goldspire

goldspire Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2010 California

Anyone going tomorrow interested in extra Vin Lee? I'm not a fan of wild reds so I'd be interested in swapping my bottles for others from the release!

7. moonknight31

moonknight31 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2009 California

what were the keepers only allocations for this party?

8. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2009 Oregon

Wild Members:

The Lily;
    A golden wild ale aged in oak wine barrels, then transferred to oak tank and refermented with Southern Oregon Tempranillo grapes.

The Purple;
    A golden wild ale aged in oak wine barrels, then transferred to oak tank and refermented with Oregon Black and Red Raspberries.

Berliner Members:

Ginger Bu Rice;
    A play off of our Imperial Berliner inspired iterations. We brewed this in collaboration with our friend Brad Basile. Subbing rice in for our typical wheat component provides a more crisp and spicy backbone. This was aged for a year in a mix of Dry Vermouth and neutral oak barrels, then conditioned on fresh Ginger to complement the spicy barrel and fermentation character.

Currant Gin Bu;
    A Berliner inspired ale, extensively aged in oak Gin barrels, and refermented with Oregon Black Currants.

moonknight31 and pinhead like this.
  9. moonknight31

thanks

10. Mumbles720

Mumbles720 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 California

Shilo Inn confrence room, 30 minutes.

BeerDevil90 likes this.
  11. distantmantra

Trader

Had a great time yesterday. Currant Gin Bu and The Archer were awesome.

Thanks for the San Dune recommendation, the calamari basket with a Buoy pils was great!

deGardebrewing likes this.
  12. LCC

LCC Initiate (194) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anyone know what's for sale today and how bad the line is?

13. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2009 Oregon

I left there around 2:00. The line was gone and so were most of the beers. Just Vin Lee and Imperial Vin Bu left.

LCC likes this.
  14. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (279) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Great party, as always. Was a little bummed to miss out on The Lily, but I think I'll survive. Was a little crowded for the 2-3pm hours, but the crowd thinned pretty quickly and was pretty dang chill for the rest of time I was there.

What a great state we live in. De Garde party in the early afternoon, dinner with a flight of Stormwatcher's and MoaS at Pelican (and a waiting-for-a-table beer on the patio with an epic sunset over the Pacific), a pint of Pliny at Twist after that, then on to more partying at Cape Kiwanda RV Park/campground around a raging fire with a bunch more de Garde and some Magnanimous IPA mixed in for a "palate cleanser." Maybe I should've posted this in the "Reality Check" thread...

Thanks to Trevor & Lindsey and their crew for another fun time and a bunch of sick fucking beers!

15. guajolote

Also, I almost hate to post this after the post above, but apparently some douchebags (definitely not a strong enough term) split their allotment tokens in half (one side was red, one side yellow) to get double allotments, which resulted in some people not getting Imperial Apricot Bu. Fuck those assholes right in the ear. I hope none of those assholes were BAs, but if you happen to read this, I hope you choke on that Apricot Bu.

16. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

Heard about this happening, too. I was talking to someone about the party the next day at Belmont, and they told me about it. Totally shitty, and unacceptable behavior.

17. Bobbyk503

Bobbyk503 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Oregon

Says a Californian........

18. Trelvis

Trelvis Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2015 Texas

So, where would people suggest staying if someone wanted to stay near Tillamook? Any good places on the coast?

19. guajolote

I could be wrong, but I think the closest hotel near Tillamook that's actually ON the coast is the Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City, which is about 35 minutes away. I've never stayed there, but Pacific City is a cool little beach town (and you'd be right across the street from Pelican).

In Tillamook, the Ashley Inn is pretty nice (for Tillamook), but not on the coast.

20. S32

S32 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2015 California

I stayed in an AirBNB that I was a big fan of. About 8 miles from the brewery and we just had the local taxi service bring us there and back.

digita7693 likes this.
  21. distantmantra

Trader

I did an AriBnB after the November party. Much nicer than a hotel.

I've also stayed at a crappy motel in Pacific City just down the street from Twist Wine. That was ok.

22. drone

drone Disciple (372) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

First time caller, long time listener.

Driving out to de Garde on Saturday; should I expect NE-style lines and/or big fuss? Presumably the above discussions are related specifically to the latest event.

23. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

Saturday and Sunday are the busier days but you should expect it to be far more chill than your point of reference. I'm going out either Fri or Sat, will buy you a round if our paths cross.

24. drone

drone Disciple (372) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Thanks for the info! I'll be there around opening on Saturday.

25. SadMachine

SadMachine Poo-Bah (2,117) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sorry if this is not on topic here, but I have been searching everywhere and can't seem to find this info. What were the Q3-Q4 Keepers bottles, both Berliner's and Wild Ales? Thanks in advance to anyone who can get me this info!

26. ac24

ac24 Initiate (186) Nov 17, 2014 California

Q3- Orchard Bu, Purple Raz Bu, Lee Kriek, Printemps Melange

Q4- Ginger Rice Bu, Currant Gin Bu, The Lilly, The Purple

SadMachine likes this.
  27. moonknight31

anyone have any insight as to when the tickets for the de garde anniversary tickets will go on sale?

28. grainbillxs

grainbillxs Initiate (104) Dec 22, 2004 Washington

The Oceanside community is what you may be looking for. South of Cape Mears and west of T'mook.

29. deGardebrewing

We are hoping to have more info the first week of February. There are still some details to attend to, but we are trying to provide as much time for folks to plan as possible.

HaoleToYouToo likes this.
  30. moonknight31

thanks for the update

31. S32

Sweet, thanks De Garde!

I'm guessing that people can attend one session or the other, but not both?

32. deGardebrewing

That's the plan thus far. A bit more people overall, but a fair bit less each day.

distantmantra likes this.
  33. S32

Yeah, sounds awesome! Love that ya'll are scaling :slight_smile:

34. distantmantra

Trader

Really hope I can snag Saturday tickets. Sunday would be rough with work the next day.

jpbebeau and deGardebrewing like this.
  35. deGardebrewing

I hope it's easier and better for everyone, but I'm tempering my hopes suspecting that demand will be high. We'll update asap with more info.

distantmantra likes this.
  36. distantmantra

Trader

I never had a problem getting guest tickets before, but seeing as there is no more early ticket access for members, it's gonna be a whole new ballgame.

37. moonknight31

Yea for sure, I'm trying to decide if it'll be worth it to book everything before I know for sure I'll get tickets

38. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

They almost always leave themselves a buffer so that's there's a bunch of beer on hand for Sunday sales in the tasting room. Even if you don't get tickets to the party you could still make a decent weekend out of it by hanging out in Portland (or Astoria) for a day or two and then hitting their tasting room early on Sunday to snag some of the left over bottles.

39. moonknight31

I thought of that too the thing is that the event is both Saturday and Sunday this year and they aren't open mondays

ac24 likes this.
  40. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,840) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This is true, but unfortunately, most of the out of town attendees have figured this out as well. At the last release event, I decided to go on Sunday instead of Saturday, thinking that it was pointless (and a bit unfair) for me to take up a spot for the release party, given my lack of appreciation for many of the sour beers made by dG. Especially as I had heard that most of the beers available on Saturday would likely be available on Sunday as well. I arrived shortly after dG opened on Sunday, only to find two thirds of the release line-up cleaned out (the for sale board had all the listed beers available for take out purchase, most of which were crossed out by the time I arrived). After getting what beers were still available for purchase, I hung out in the tasting room for a bit (I may not be a huge sour fan, but even I can recognize the creative genius behind some of the dG beers). I was surprised by how crowded it was (inside and out), until I overheard some of the conversations going on. Almost everyone there on Sunday was from out of town and had attended the dG event the previous day. They maxed out their Saturday allocation, and (understandably) had then come by on Sunday to purchase the limit on whatever was left (as well as to hang out in the tasting room for a few hours), before heading home or back to PDX.

Live and learn... next time I'll try to get a ticket for the main event, despite my feelings about sour beers generally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.