VT road trip tips?

Discussion in 'New England' started by HopsintheSack, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

I'm out from California working in Mass, but actually get a day off tomorrow. Going to blast up to Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. Any tips on places to stop for Lawson's finest bottles? Anything else to see along the way?

Cheers!

2. celfan

celfan Aspirant (225) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

This was a bad weekend to pick, since the Vermont Beer festival is on. The Alchemist is already sold out at the cannery and I doubt there is any Lawson's left anywhere. You can go to Hill Farmstead, which could be damn crowded. Best bet is stop at Waterbury and drink in the pubs.

3. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

The Alchemist Cannery is sold out, so no reason to stop there except for samples (if they're open).

The Winooski Bev Warehouse will be releasing Heady Topper & Lawson's Double Sunshine at 11, 3, and 6pm on Saturday. Follow them on Twitter/Facebook for updates. They'll be releasing more Heady and Dbl Sunshine all weekend and posting the times. I grabbed 2 bottles yesterday. I haven't seen that much Lawsons there in a long while. Sean said that he sent a lot more bottles than he usually sends to the retail shops.

I'd imagine the Warren General Store might have some too, but I'd call ahead before driving there.

Here's a giant link list of everything along the route between Alchemist and Hill Farmstead.
    http://www.vtbeer.org/2013/06/19/vermonts-ipa-highway/

If you're looking for pubs, check out Burlington's Farmhouse Tap & Grill. They are having an incredible selection of beer this weekend. They've posted the times they are tapping on their website/Facebook page.

HopsintheSack likes this.
  4. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Don't be afraid to buy Jack's Abby while in MA.

TheMonkfish and jamesewelch like this.
  5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (255) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Hill Farmstead got their power knocked-out last night in the big storm that swept through northern VT (VT Brewers Fest was evacuated for 2 hrs.!) Check their FB page - said they had to close for the day because no power for the kegerators. Bottles are flying out of the Bevvy today - we are awash in Beer Hunters this weekend!

Flashy likes this.
  6. HopsintheSack

I powered through and went up anyway. Better than sitting in the hotel room. Didn't catch the Hill was closed, so drove out there anyway. O-well it was a personal adventure!

Alchemist was cool, but the highlight was Prohibition Pig. Stellar bar I would live at if I was a Vermontian! Beautiful state and glad I slipped the brunt of most of the storms.

After driving out to the Hill, ill never complain about how Alpine is in the boonies. I didn't realize that Hill Farmstead was on a dirt road in farm land.

Ill be back out in October with the wife and plan on staying near Waterbury for a weekend and traveling the "IPA Highway".

Cheers all!

jamesewelch likes this.
  7. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Totally - I kind of felt like I was trespassing when the infrequent car came the other way on the dirt road. Beautiful drive though.

8. HopsintheSack

Right, I was waiting for the moonshiner to come out of the woods with a shotgun.

dumpman likes this.
  9. celfan

celfan Aspirant (225) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

Oh well, sh*t happens - if you contact me when it isn't so hot, I'll ship you a growler of HF if you want.

10. HopsintheSack

I appreciate that. I'd rather meet you there for a beer as I still need to step foot in there. I travel to Mass 3-4 times a year, so ill be back for sure.

11. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (384) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Bumping this thread, rather than starting a new one. Flying from Chicago to Boston next Thursday, then leaving first thing Friday morning to drive up to the Alchemist. Staying overnight in Waterbury. We'll have our ladies with us, who really won't be into the beer thing (which is the purpose of the trip). Anything else to do around Waterbury for a couple hours that would appease them? Obviously my focus of the trip to finally try some HT, and hopefully send a couple cases back to myself. Wouldn't mind swinging by HF as well. Thanks in advance.

12. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont

Vermont Liberty Tea Company, Ben & Jerry's, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Prohibition Pig, The Res, Cork wine bar.

Be careful where you leave them, There are plenty of good looking local guys around here looking for neglected beer widows.

You won't just be "swinging by" HF since at leat an hour from Waterbury

jamesewelch likes this.
  13. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

If your wallets are feeling fat, then you can drop them off in Burlington's Church Street Marketplace. They could spend an entire day there, especially if you drop them off on Saturday morning when the Farmers Market is there. Area is very shopping, eating, drinking and walking friendly. Besides the outdoor, bricked/pedestrian Church Street - there's the actual underground mall that most tourists walk past (enter near Starbucks for Macys and everything like that). Just FYI, there's no VT sales tax on clothing purchases.

There's also an outlet center in Essex area.

Also, there's a very high chance the Cannery will be out of Heady on any given Saturday. Usually sells out on Friday, even with new 2 case/person limits. So make sure that's your first stop, can let your companions off at Ben & Jerry's for a few minutes. It's very, very close to Alchemist.

14. BeerGreg

Thanks, James. I told them I wanted to do the Alchemist as soon as we got there Friday morning. Basically just get it out of the way, so we can do whatever else after that. Looking up youbrewidrink and your suggestions now. Much appreciated.

15. HopsintheSack

If you do head out to HF, its about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away and is in the boonies on a dirt road. My iPhone lead me right to it, so don't be nervous when the road turns dirt and you get a sense of being lost.

Beautiful state with plenty of trails if they are into nature too.

16. BeerGreg

Hiking is in the works for Saturday morning actually.

17. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike Initiate (90) May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If you take 100 past Morrisville you can get on the long trail off of 118 near Belvidere/Eden and have your choice of a few nice hikes. My favorite is Devil's Gulch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.