Wagyu and beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by marino13412, Nov 20, 2020.

1. marino13412

marino13412 Initiate (90) Jul 14, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

So long story short, having a really shitty November and decided to splurge on a Miyazaki A5 Wagyu Ribeye. I love pairing food with beer, but have never had wagyu, and the only thing I see online is copious amounts of wine pairing recommendations, so turning to the community to try and get some help.

What beers have you successfully paired with Wagyu? Some initial thoughts from my cellar are below. I have reasonable examples of most styles of beer, so hoping for some general and specific recommendations to help guide what I end up opening.

2017 Central Waters Brewer's Reserve Barleywine
    2016 BCBW
    2019 Fox Farm Copestone
    2012 Hair of the Dog Michael
    2012 Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws
    2013 Hair of the Dog Fred
    2015 Perenntial/Side Project Good Night Irene
    2020 OEC Double Barrel Esgaroth

Thank you!

2. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (50) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey

Drink what ever beer you would normally have with a steak. I prefer an old fashion IPA.

PapaGoose03 and Shanex like this.
  3. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,711) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I had a Wagyu beef burger about a month ago, and it was certainly memorable and a special meat as it’s supposed to be. I paired it with Leffe Blonde because the other offerings didn’t phase me (Heineken or 1664).

It’s outstanding and I suppose it’d pair really well with most every “yellow” beer at the exception of a juicy NEIPA...

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Junior, bret27, Txex06 and 12 others like this.
  4. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (570) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

I think the Fred is pretty ideal - it has the deep caramelized/melanoidin malt flavors to match the meat but also a bit of acidity to keep it from getting too heavy. I always think a good farmhouse style that isn't too acidic is a versitile pairing beer, the malt and yeast profile tend to balance out heavier flavors. Enjoy that steak, I'm jealous!

5. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (152) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

I can't speak for Wagyu, but I always enjoy a Schienkeria Marzen when pairing w/ grilled steak. The rauchbier goes so well with red meat.

Let us know how things turn out with the steak & your beer choice, enjoy!

Junior, Txex06 and champ103 like this.
  6. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,850) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Aged North Coast Old Stock, or one of the Old Stock Cellar Reserves would go nicely. I have paired those with steaks before and they hit the spot.

Also, along those lines any of the J.W. Lees Harvest Ale variants would also be nice.

Txex06, KRug, puck1225 and 2 others like this.
  7. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think just a typical stout or IPA would work.

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,592) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Maybe it's just me, but I'd give those wine pairing recommendations another look. YMMV.

Edit: I suppose I could be talked into pairing, say, Jester King Le Petit Prince with it. YMMV.

#8 dcotom, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    montman, Jacobier10 and Shanex like this.
  9. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,546) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Good suggestions above, depends on whether you want to pile richness on richness (BA imperial stout) or use beer as something to cut the richness (then a sour or wild ale, or saison, might be great).
    Good luck - for me it's always red wine (Cab/Zin/Syrah) when I hit the wagyu or any rich cut.
    Just sayin'

KRug, meefmoff, imnodoctorbut and 3 others like this.
  10. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (172) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Im a huge Ipa fan with anything that I grill. So if you are grilling roll with that. If its going in a skillet with some fresh herbs, I roll with a nice porter.

Remember Wagyu is VERY rich, only cook off about 6 ounces per person. You eat more than 8 ounces of real A5 and you'll be on the shitter for hours the next day.

Cheers

bret27, Txex06, KRug and 3 others like this.
  11. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (50) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey

same here

dcotom and eppCOS like this.
  12. imnodoctorbut

imnodoctorbut Devotee (472) Feb 19, 2016 Texas
    Trader

I personally dig a Barleywine with steak if I'm going with a brew. If it were me I'd hit that CWB with it, or the OEC for dessert. or both. here's to better months ahead :wink:

Prosit!

13. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Crusader (796) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

Out of your list, I happen to like the Central Waters Barleywine.

Edit: I didn't see the BCBW. Even better.

imnodoctorbut likes this.
  14. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,078) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

You cannot possibly go wrong with two Orvals!

15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (661) Mar 28, 2009 California

I love a good rich stout or porter with steak. Founders porter or imperial stout would be excellent.

Of the beers listed I would go BCBS.

enjoy.

#15 GetMeAnIPA, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    champ103 and KRug like this.
  16. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,316) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Once you are spending that amount of money on meat, if you're not a trained professional, I'd say go with mineral water. No sense in ruining an excellent piece of meat and a rare bottle at the same time.

dcotom, sharpski, ilikebeer03 and 4 others like this.
  17. readyski

readyski Aspirant (279) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Yeah my head tells me pure water but my heart screams Black Tuesday :stuck_out_tongue:
    (Or the BCBW would be acceptable)

Shanex likes this.
  18. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,817) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Any IPA would be bad deciding. Something with great carbonation, like the above mentioned Orval, or a bubbly Saison seems right.

Or, as also mentioned above, a bottle of San Pellegrino. La Fin do Monde with cherry pie for desert.

dcotom, Tilley4, KRug and 2 others like this.
  19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,415) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Bruery Poterie
    SS Oatmeal stout

GreenBayBA likes this.
  20. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (173) Nov 8, 2009 New York

This^

or, a Zin or Cab. Skip the beer.

21. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (841) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I don’t eat meat.....what is this meat you are talking about?

Enjoy

22. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,274) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Something like a La Chouffe would work really nicely...

champ103 likes this.
  23. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,274) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

La Fin du Monde with cherry pie sounds incredible...one of my desert island beers....

beertunes likes this.
  24. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,167) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Beeradvocate'ism be damned, I would go with a great cab. There are some beer and food pairings I enjoy, but if we're being honest there are some things just flat out go better with wine. For me, elite steaks and chocolate are two of those things.

BUT if you really want to go the beer route Id say an aged barleywine or aged old ale. If I were pairing beer with wagyu, which I wouldn't, I would want something lower on carb, heavier in body, malty but not roasty, with a firm ABV backbone. BWs and OA's hit those marks, and the age would take some of the edge off (whether it be bitterness which I don't think would go well with that cut of meat) and in general somewhat mellow them out.

Those that are saying high carb, light in color styles I just don't get at all. But to each their own!

montman, JrGtr and bubseymour like this.
  25. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,117) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Got to agree here....dry/semi dry red wines IMO always pair best with a good steak over any beer style. And I’m a 95%+ beer drinker for alcohol options and pretty much never have wine unless its with a juicy steak.

Sheppard, zac16125 and Bigrock like this.
  26. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,960) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Compliment or contrast. If you want compliment go with something that is rich/heavy. If you want contrast go with something on the acidic level. Depends on what your mood is. Personally I would go Belgian single, farmhouse or not too acidic fruited sour.

27. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (116) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

My go-to wagyu yakiniku restaurant in Tokyo only serves Kirin Ichiban. That works.
    Here in the US, I can sometimes find it marked down on the last day of sale in the Asian supermarket or go to a steakhouse on the company's dime. In that case I like a bitter dry IPA.

oldmankoch likes this.
  28. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (377) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

I've only been graced with A5 a few times in my life on travels to Japan as well as a hidden gem in PDX. Each time I've always enjoyed alongside a French Red Wine. From my experience its all about contrast, something acidic to cut through the unctuousness of the meat. So, if you're pressing for a beer please make it a Wild or Farmhouse for the sake of your investment. A dark beer will only add another heavy layer and take away from what is so special about Wagyu.

dcotom likes this.
  29. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (260) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I usually don’t drink beer with meals like steak, but when I do I prefer a high ABV Quad. Trappist if available. My $0.02.