Waltham Beer Works?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Brian_Burke, May 26, 2015.

1. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Aspirant (238) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Last year when Watch City Brewing shut down there was some talk of a Beer Works going into that location. Haven't heard anything on that in a while. Anyone know if that is still in the "works"?

2. huuvola

huuvola Aspirant (223) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Brian_Burke likes this.
  3. Brian_Burke

Subscriber Beer Trader

yes, you're likely right. Particularly where Beer Works has a defined look and feel for their locations - will take a bit of work based on the last time I was in that building...

4. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Devotee (419) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah it's taking forever but I'm not all that surprised. Apparently Watch City Brewing's equipment was twenty years behind in terms of technology and usability and I'm pretty sure that Beer Works has to gut the entire place out. Hopefully we'll get an update at some point soon.

RKing44 likes this.
  5. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (35) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Watch City's brewing equipment was purchased by a group in Barre, MA for $41k.

6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (510) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Beer Works never had any intention of using WCBC's old Pugsley system (for many reasons) nor their infrastructure which was 10+ years beyond rehab. Complete gutting & renovation there, will take some time. I'd guess a March 2016 opening.

7. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Doesn't mean that it's any good compared to newer tech.

RKing44 likes this.
  8. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (127) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I've heard that Waltham is an awful place to do business anyway. In terms of permitting and stuff like that.

Terrible shame, it really is on the cusp of being the "next Somerville." (I mean that entirely positively)

9. skullsplitter

skullsplitter Aspirant (258) Jun 11, 2005 Massachusetts

Ehh Waltham has been very up and down. Sadly, it has shifted in the opposite direction over the last few years.

10. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Really? I'm a Waltham resident and have never heard of that being a problem. We even have a sake distillery in town now and a few bars are doing pretty well for themselves out here (Jack N Joe's, The Gaff, Bison County)

RKing44 likes this.
  11. huuvola

Seems to be going OK for Beer Works. A reporter for the Waltham News Tribune noted in a series of tweets in April that one city councilor had filed an ordinance amendment making it easier to open a brewery in the city.

@CouncilW9 filing ordinance amendment proposal to basically make it easier for a restaurant/beer brewer to open in #Waltham https://twitter.com/rgd_WNT/status/592841726122971138

It is meant to help Boston Beer Works, in part, open at the former Watch City Brewing site. #Waltham https://twitter.com/rgd_WNT/status/592841816069771266

Boston Beer Works has already acquired a 7-day alcohol license, and as far as I know, still plans to open in #Waltham https://twitter.com/rgd_WNT/status/592841911624404992

mschofield, Brian_Burke and SveNss0N like this.
  12. skullsplitter

skullsplitter Aspirant (258) Jun 11, 2005 Massachusetts

That's promising and smart on Waltham's part. Even though it had really gone downhill I was sad to see Watch City close.

13. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Some part of me really wanted them to succeed and brew good beers. Even their IPAs sucked. Their food was pretty disastrous too. I don't know why they were stubborn about using their English yeast on so many of their beers. It ruined them. I would have been much happier with a good, striving, independant brewery than another Beer Works location...

14. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (345) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've been a Waltham resident for over 2 years now and I agree. Jake n Joes is awesome with the patios open now.

15. Brian_Burke

Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for sharing the info!

16. pveilleux

pveilleux Aspirant (268) Feb 3, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm Waltham born and raised. Still have quite a bit of family there, so I'm around a bit. Moody St was awful when I was a kid. It had a resurgence in the 90s, early 2000s, but has been going downhill over the last 5 years or so. I've lost track of the number of places that have come and gone. The bars, for the most part, have been relatively constant and seem to do well. Almost all the dives of years gone by are gone - except for Michael J's and Bullett's - and the ones that have gone in have been successful

mschofield likes this.
  17. dubdrop

dubdrop Devotee (451) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Does Jack N Joe's have a good taplist?

18. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (152) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hoponious was the only thing I saw when it opened and the food was a disaster. Since then the Buffalo chicken sandwich has changed my perception of their food.

[/SIZE]

19. budgie

budgie Initiate (134) Jan 18, 2007 Massachusetts

Really wish we were getting more of an indie outfit than another area Beer Works. Meh.

chavinparty and SveNss0N like this.
  20. soheadyithurts

Beer Trader

I'd love to stay in Waltham and not have to drive to Cambridge/Somerville for a great drafts.

21. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

The Gaff and Bison County has some pretty solid craft beer selections. I've enjoyed many of the big beers at either location in the last few years including KBS, Parabola, Velvet Merkin, Agrestic, Second Fiddle, and quite a few others...

RKing44 likes this.
  22. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

The best they have is Wormtown Be Hoppy

RKing44 likes this.
  23. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Bullets closed.

RKing44 likes this.
  24. yuppiescum

Jake N Joes is a pretty decent sports bar. The yellow light they flashed when he Bruins scored was a bit much though.

Waltham has a mind boggling number of dives even to this day.. Must be the most dives per square mile in MA.

The bodega business does seem to be booming on Moody. But entrees start around $28 at the Red Bird (good beer there actually)

SveNss0N likes this.
  25. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

I'm surprised by how well Moody's Delicatessen is doing. Happy to see them thrive and expand. Red Bird seems to be pretty busy as well. Hopefully it's a good sign for things to come in the area. Garcia Brogan's just opened too.

I really wish that we had fewer dollar stores on Moody Street and fewer vacant spots. I can't wait until they start building those condos where that construction store/Jack Dixie's Roadhouse. That will hopefully help as well

RKing44 likes this.
  26. soheadyithurts

Beer Trader

Moodys backroom has Sixpoint Crisp for the lovely price of $9/can.

Bison is my favorite on Moody but still isn't what I'm hoping for in Waltham.

SveNss0N likes this.
  27. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Yeah Joshua Smith's pricing is beyond awful. His stuff is good but 100% overpriced. But how else could he afford to go to the Superbowl? ( )

28. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster Disciple (310) Nov 1, 2012 Massachusetts

100 percent over priced? Or just over priced for craft beer?

29. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

What I meant to say is that 100% of what he offers is overpriced. Nothing there is good value. Sure the quality is great but holy sh*t is it expensive.

30. oldthumpah

oldthumpah Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Don't count out jocos.For a decent draft list. Will hit it up if the gaff is too crowded.

yuppiescum and PaulB like this.
  31. halfshell

halfshell Aspirant (280) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

Copper house works too.

32. yuppiescum

25 cent wings Monday - and they're quite good. I like what Joco is doing.

33. pveilleux

pveilleux Aspirant (268) Feb 3, 2012 Massachusetts

Holy smoke. When did that happen? Anything go in there yet? Another dive?

34. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Closed at least 2-3 months ago (I think). Not sure yet

35. SveNss0N

Beer Trader

Does anyone have any updates on this? Drove by the other day and it seemed like nothing was really happening

36. huuvola

SveNss0N likes this.
  37. SunDevilBeer

Opening as a beer bar (its own beer brewed @ other locations, in addition to guest taps and cocktails) due to the fact the city hosed them on their brewing license.

38. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (145) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What do you mean?

39. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Aspirant (228) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I used to love going to that Dunks down there before work and seeing people saunter out of Bullets for a smoke break.

40. SunDevilBeer

No brewery on premise. Beer from other BW locations & guest taps.

Govt bureaucracy strikes again. They intended to have a brewery there but the city declined it. That was the long delay - BW finally decided to give up & just open a bar.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe