Was that Founder’s Imperial Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by puck1225, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:54 PM.

1. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,374) Aug 14, 2015 Texas
    Society

I had a disconcerting beer “incident” last evening.

My wife and I went to a local pizza restaurant that listed Founder’s Imperial Stout on tap, which I ordered.

After the first drink, I wondered if I had been given the correct beer, but I watched it being poured from a tap that had the correct pull handle. The beer tasted suspiciously like a Guinness or something similar. I liked the beer I was poured, but it did not taste like a “World Class” beer.

None of the possible explanation are pleasant. Was this really the beer advertised? Has Founder’s Imperial Stout gone down hill? (It has been a while since I had it previously, but I recall it being pretty dang good.) Has my palate gone to hell in a hand basket?

Have others had similar experiences?

Cheers!

EMH73 and RacerX5k like this.
  2. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,883) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Dirty tap line?

pinyin, eppCOS and puck1225 like this.
  3. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (360) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Good and relevant question. I can tell you, this is a beer, years ago, I did not like fresh or at one year's old. Then in I want to say July of 2018 read my review I had the pleasure of trying the 2016 beer at 18 months old and it was, amazing.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/21822/?ba=RacerX5k#review

Then I bought two more older, almost 5 years old 4 packs and it was borderline terrible. So I suspect you ran into either very old or brand new beer, either way you're impressions are correct, and your own. Beer does change with age, and usually not for the better. I always say drink fresh, except this one, for me, was better aged, but not old. And that being said I can't wait to try the newest batch due out soon ...

#3 RacerX5k, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:14 PM
    GOBLIN and puck1225 like this.
  4. RacerX5k

Trader

No, just, very likely, way too old beer.

EMH73 likes this.
  5. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (1,975) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I had an experience about a year ago where I ordered am IPA on tap (no idea which one at this point). When i tasted the beer i called the waiter back and told him that the beer was not an IPA but rather a pilsner. He said they had no pilsners on tap. I kept the beer as it was a decent pilsner. The manager came to me later and said that I was absolutely correct, they attached the wrong leg to the line. Always possible that something like this happened.

6. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,081) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I thought FIS was retired. Either way, I enjoy it fresh, but with a year or two of age on it, after taking a sip I feel like I am Jimmy Hendricks. Shit is wild good!

Zaphog, SFACRKnight, Scrapss and 7 others like this.
  7. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (327) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

So like a knock off Jimi Hendrix ?

jasonmason, ericwo, Junior and 2 others like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,833) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If you return to that venue, have them take a pic of the keg tag.

9. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,788) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina

So you’re saying it’s more likely that a local pizza place had a 5 year old beer than it is that their tap lines were dirty?

hmmm

10. puck1225

Society

Yeah. This place opened about 1 year ago.

Junior likes this.
  11. micada

micada Aspirant (239) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

FIS is coming back in December.

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,734) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Yup, I had this happen once. I ordered a beer, and what I got was clearly not what I ordered. Not old, not dirty lines - just the wrong beer. Didn't bother saying anything because it was decent anyway.

ManBearPat, eppCOS, Kadonny and 2 others like this.
  13. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (772) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Unless I'm way out of the loop FIS is only available if the bar has a very old keg or happens to be a founders location. So it would seem your options are old beer that was past it's prime or some degree of fraud. (should mention, I suppose, that you could be mistaken and it was actually one of founders other spots, FBS KBS or CBS )

14. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (394) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I'm guessing it was as likely a combination of the two - probably old keg, and likely dirty lines - they should be cleaned every couple weeks, and ideally when switching brands on that line.
    Many places don't do that.
    If you go back, maybe try to get into a conversation about how often the lines are cleaned -
    that will give a hint too.

puck1225 likes this.
  15. Junior

Junior Defender (625) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Based on the description above I’d say it was the wrong beer. I don’t see how FIS would ever be described as Guinness-like, even if old or through dirty tap lines.

16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Which Guinness?
    If you are thinking of the nitro Draught, then perhaps the beer you drank was Founders Oatmeal Stout on nitro and it was mislabeled by the restaurant. If you are thinking of Guinness Antwerpen, then perhaps you had Founders Imperial Stout and there shouldn't be a problem.

stevepat likes this.
  17. puck1225

Society

The tap pull handle was clearly marked and the beer served didn’t taste like these other beers you mention.

18. puck1225

Society

Just the usual Guinness one usually sees on tap at restaurants. Perhaps it was mislabeled oatmeal stout.

stevepat and zid like this.
  19. RacerX5k

Trader

yes that's what I'm saying. because, again,. 5 yo beer can be disgusting, at best.

20. RacerX5k

Trader

yes don't hmmm me. been at this for way too long, and i am considered among young beer experts, in my area, as Mr. Bourbon County, circa 2012 2013. ok. iv'e forgotten more beer, then most will ever know ... seriously dude, and i'm not always in a good mood. and i've given away (at cost) more beer than you could drink.

21. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (400) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

22. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,788) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina

Cool story, Hansel.

GetMeAnIPA and Longhorn08 like this.
  23. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (230) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Mr. Bourbon County, Sr. If I may say.......

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of dig.

zac16125 likes this.
  24. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's important to note the local distributor could also be responsible for supplying an old keg.

25. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Clearly marked does not equate to accuracy.

26. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,727) Sep 15, 2014 New York

FIS will be back in December, so that keg must be at least two years old--but, more than likely, if it tastes "bad" I suspect something else is wrong here. Maybe dirty tap lines or there's a mix-up.

Bitterbill likes this.