Washing/rinsing yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by marknu1, Aug 3, 2018.

1. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (48) May 12, 2017 California

So I'm trying to rinse yeast for the first time. From all of the videos I've seen, the darkest sediment layer is always the one on the bottom, and that is the trub. Above that should be the layer of yeast. But when I let everything settle out, it looks like this. The grain bill was mostly pilsner. Is it possible that the trub is actually lighter than the yeast? I mean, there should be a little hop matter in there, as well, so I wouldn't think so. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,743) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

That's yeast on the bottom.

3. marknu1

That's what I think. What would you suppose I did wrong?

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,743) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Was it dry hopped? Other than that I have no idea, but it's definitely yeast on the bottom unless you've got some VERY WEIRD yeast in play :crazy_face: But I would say that's no big deal. Rack off the rest of the beer and then you can rack off that sediment - you don't need all of that yeast so pull it off the top liberally and then you're ready to go. Additionally, although that's a lot of trub I don't think it would "kill" another brew, but it would be cleaner if it was gone.

VikeMan and marknu1 like this.
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,439) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've seen this happen before. I agree it's yeast on the bottom. For whatever reason yeast floccs are sometimes more dense than whatever is in the trub.

marknu1 likes this.
  6. marknu1

Yeah, I'm getting a bit more trub in the fermenter lately; I think the false bottom in my new mash tun is lifting a bit. No dry hopping. And no wacky yeast. Ha ha! I'll just shoot for the bottom layer. Still, kind of odd.