Washington DC Visit.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by MickRatcliffe, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickRatcliffe

MickRatcliffe Initiate (79) Jun 16, 2009 United Kingdom (England)

I am coming from the UK to Washington D.C. for a typical tourist visit for the first time. I am staying near Dupont Circle and will be doing the obvious tourist trips including the Nationals. Are there any suggestions of bars, breweries etc. that I should not miss?

2. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

You will be stumbling distance from churchkey, the best beer bar in the city.

VTnerf and Dando274 like this.
  3. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (178) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

What @hoppytobehere said. I'd also add Red Apron Burger Bar to the list. Very chill spot with an excellent tap list.

Right Proper, Bluejacket & 3 Stars for breweries. Bluejacket is right next to Nats Park, but make a reservation if you want to go on game day. Place is an absolute zoo when they are playing at home.

4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Churchkey is, indeed, a short walk, but closer to you are Pizzeria Paradiso and The Big Hunt.

The Sovereign is over in Georgetown and is a must visit if you like Belgian beer, though you might have better accessibility in the UK. Right Proper - Shaw Brewpub and Kitchen is a nice little brewpub which has on varied American styles. Both are short cab rides from Dupont Circle unless you REALLY like walking.

There is a Whole Foods Market a couple blocks over from you which is on the way back from Churchkey. If you are interested in picking up some local beer for your room, I'd suggest hitting it up.

5. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

You are also an easy walk to Adams Morgan, 4 spots to recommend there. Smoke & Barrel, Black Squirrel, Jack Rose, and Roofers Union. All on 18th st. within a 5 minute walk of each other.

maximum12 likes this.
  6. MickRatcliffe

Thanks for the tip. The beer list looks awesome. I'll certainly check it out.

7. MickRatcliffe

Thanks for these tips. There is plenty to go to here.

8. MickRatcliffe

Thanks for the tips. It looks a good area with plenty to keep me happy.

RocketFrogDavid likes this.
  9. debokle

debokle Initiate (36) Feb 20, 2017 Vermont

One of the best beer bars in the nation***

Sheppard likes this.
  10. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

yup

Prince_Casual and jmdrpi like this.
  11. debokle

I don't think it's outrageous. Yeah it's more expensive but it's also in downtown DC offering arguably some of the best selection of any bar in the area. For example, a bar that compares is Armsby Abbey and that's in Worcester (not exactly middle of DC) and has the same prices. Worcester is way more affordable to live in. My point is it's expensive but you get your money's worth. Especially with the events they throw. Where else could you possible find Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Bissel Brothers, Suarez, Jackie Os, Oxbow, Veil, Foam, Lawsons Finest, Alchemist and more top tier breweries at the same place.

LanguedocRocks likes this.
  12. RKP1967

I'm not going to argue your point, but in your mind how high would they need to go on the price before the current $14/10 oz pour of the Barrel Aged Latte Stout from world class brewers Manor Hill would be considered "outrageous"?

Prince_Casual likes this.
  13. debokle

I would want to know the cost of that beer from the brewer beforehand before I assess that.

14. fastward

fastward Initiate (33) Oct 17, 2015 New Jersey

Churchkey is the place to go. Bluejacket, Pizza Paradiso and the Sovereign Are also worth checking out.

15. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Disciple (328) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

I will be in DC for work towards the end of October. Looks like the only store I'll be able to visit will be A-1 Wines &Liquor on K Street. Anybody been there recently? What kind of local beers could I find there? It will be a little bit of an effort to get there and I'm just curious if it's worth it. Thanks in advance.

16. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

You'll be about 5-8 minute uber ride to Whole Foods P St. I'd go there. Where in DC will you be working?

JCaweinstein likes this.
  17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (341) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Snallygaster: "It's like Churchkey, but even more expensive!" (tm)

18. RKP1967

I came here to say this.

JCaweinstein likes this.
  19. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Honestly, WFP has gotten so bad that I wouldn't recommend anyone go there anymore for bottles. Go to Craft Beer Cellar instead - wayyy better and not much further.

VABA likes this.
  20. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (341) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Last time I went there, not only was there nothing interesting, the warm shelf was half empty, and what they had was littered with stuff that must have been there for months like 'out of' seasonals and 3L of every Belgian beer imaginable (st Bernards, draak, etc).

Really sad state of affairs for what was once the best selection in the DMV. I'm sure they still sell tons of lagunitas 6pks and what have you, but whoever is in charge is either clueless or has given up on catching limited releases. I'm curious what this entails for BCBS quantities, since they are probably still a top GI account.

21. grover37

Society Trader

Funny story. When I popped through WFP around Thursday to grab a BCBS draft, they had a sign up saying they weren't pouring draft beer. I asked the woman behind the counter why, and all she said was "carbon". I just assumed she meant they ran out of CO2, but WTF? And how do you run out of gas for an extended period of time?

Strange days over there...

Prince_Casual likes this.
  22. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Disciple (328) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

I'll be at the souvenir shop a couple blocks away. I'm chaperoning a sightseeing trip. It's the only spot I can get to in the short amount of time I'll be there.
    Have an idea of any locals they might have?

23. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (37) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

I would go to Cairo Liquors on 17th. P Street like others have said has fallen off.
    As far as locals, it's pretty easy to find but I'm a fan of Minute Man by Three Notch'd. Is it a true NEIPA, no, but it's cheap and available.

JCaweinstein likes this.
  24. grover37

Society Trader

That's a half block from my office, but I've never been there (tells ya something..) - I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know. In terms of proximity, that Whole Foods is only about three blocks from there.

JCaweinstein likes this.
  25. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (81) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia

I haven't been to A-1 in a few months, but they typically have a decent selection of local stuff in the coolers at the back of the store. They definitely don't have as big of a selection or much in the way of limited releases as some of the other places mentioned, but I'm sure you'll find some new things to try there.

Some local brands that they should have:
    DC Brau (DC)
    3 Stars (DC)
    Port City (VA)
    Three Notch'd (VA)
    Hardywood (VA)
    Union (MD)

polopaul20 and JCaweinstein like this.
  26. RKP1967

I work down the street from Craft Beer Cellar so agree with you. But for the area he's talking about, CBC didn't seem like a realistic option.

Has P Street really fallen off that much, or are we just in the time of the year where the seasonal beers are dominated by boring oktoberfest beers and crappy pumpkin beers?

27. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm certainly hoping that's the case, as that WF is our go-to when we stay in DC (Thomas Circle).

28. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

WFP is as bad as advertised. Has been that way most of the summer. Not worth stopping anymore.

29. elayton

elayton Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2015 Maryland

DC Folks - Should I hit Right Proper or Bluejacket tonight before LCD?

30. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Maybe Bluejacket due to proximity to venue.

31. Topease

Topease Initiate (79) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Has anyone been in Schneider's recently? Went there awhile back on a whim (from Baltimore) and was surprised at the inventory- BCBS, GBS and others just sitting on the shelf- something I'm definitely not used to up here. Maybe I just went there on a good day but any recent experiences that are similar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.