Waterbury, VT - Gateway Motel??

Discussion in 'New England' started by heffnate77, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heffnate77

heffnate77 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 New York

I'm looking for any info on this motel in Waterbury? I'm headed up there in a few weeks for some of their tasty brews at the Blackback and HF and Alchemist Breweries, but I can't seem to find any info on this place. It pretty much doesn't exist online. I've stayed at the Stagecoach Inn -- very nice and affordable, but I think this place may be cheaper. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (526) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

The Gateway burned down a few years ago and was replaced by apartments. Trust me, you didn't want to stay there anyway unless you pack needles or a crack pipe when you travel. I can't really offer any advice, having never visited Waterbury as a tourist, but people do seem to love the Stagecoach. There is also a Best Western a mile or so from downtown, very close to the Alchemist cannery and a couple of B&B's around.

3. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

the stagecoach is stumbling distance of the bars.

4. jbart

jbart Initiate (179) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

I've stayed at Stagecoach and the Best Western. Although Stagecoach is closer to Blackback, etc., Best Western is also within walkable distance.

5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (239) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Best Western isn't cheap and it's farther to walk, but it's, well...predictable. Everyone I know who stays at Stagecoach raves about the ginormous breakfast they serve. Check out Thatcher Brook Inn - or did Irene close them out?

6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (526) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Thatcher Brook Inn closed a couple of years ago and has recently been refurbished and reopened by the new owners. It's near the Best Western, close to the Alchemist (and Ben & Jerry's) but a long stumble from the village.

7. PaulB

PaulB Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2002 Massachusetts

That hill back to the Best Western from town can be a killer on foot and on bike! duchessedubourg's take on the Best Western is right on.

8. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I only live a half an hour from Waterbury, but when we consume too much the Stagecoach has always served us well and like the OP says, killer breakfast.

9. heffnate77

heffnate77 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 New York

I don't have any type crack paraphernalia, so the Gateway wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks for the info. I was surprised at how expensive the Best Western was...no excuse to not stay at Stagecoach. Even if for just their breakfast.

10. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (212) Jun 5, 2005 New York

definitely stay at the stagecoach. we stayed there last summer and are again. perfect location, nice hosts, and excellent fast

11. franklinn

Drop a line when you're up in waterbury, we'll be temporary neighbors :wink:

Are you coming up for the HF bottle release?

12. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (239) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

A business associate mentioned how expensive that ugly chain hotel is too - plus your money stays right in Waterbury at the Stagecoach - and the town is still in financial recovery after Irene, so thanks for spending your dollars locally.

franklinn likes this.
  13. Caudalie

Caudalie Disciple (396) Nov 29, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

when is the HF bottle release?

14. franklinn

15. Caudalie

Beer Trader

Oh, I'm heading to waterbury from montreal tonight to visit brewpubs, and just realized that HF is closed on sunday, monday and tuesday : ( I hope the tap selection at reservoir, prohibition pig and blackback is worth the travel!

16. Caudalie

Beer Trader

And thanx for insight guys, I chose the Stagecoach, looks like a friendly place...

17. franklinn

The taplists there will not disappoint. Rez ran out of a lot of stuff last night, so there are plenty of fresh kegs. The blackback has up to date taplists on their facebook page, I think the pig might too.

18. Caudalie

Beer Trader

thanx! I should be hitting one of the 3 around 11:15

19. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Not to mention playing frogger with stupid locals in pick up trucks who thinks its funny to deliberately swerve at you walking on the side of the road. True story.

20. dukes

dukes Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Maryland

Stagecoach is awesome. Friendly people and great breakfast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.