Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Way out West brewing?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Reidrover, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,773) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

Just saw cans from this brewery in Fred Meyer.
    Says Bend OR on the can but info even on their website is sparse.
    I am assuming this is a contract beer.
    Anyone know who in Bend is doing the brewing?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,776) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I typed their addy into Bing maps, and it shows that is the addy for Silver Moon. From there, I dunno?

3. Reidrover

So probably brewed there.
    I bought a sixer..will have to figure out where I do the rating.

beertunes likes this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Champion (850) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Huh. Will see what I can find out.

beertunes likes this.
  5. 81tillinfinity

81tillinfinity Zealot (503) Apr 7, 2015 Oregon

Stay away. . .

6. Reidrover

Not a bad IPA..PNW style

beertunes likes this.
  7. beertunes

Beer Trader

I'm generally OK with Silver Moon"s stuff. @sharpski, is SM"s brewery down during the remodel, or just the taproom?

8. sharpski

Beer Trader

Production in Redmond hasn't stopped (and where the canning line is, if WOW is produced by SM). The brewpub system has been in use during the remodel too; Bend Brewing has been using it to increase capacity during the summer.

beertunes likes this.
  9. Reidrover

I have only seen this in Freddys could this be a Kroger/Freddys nstore brand?

10. beertunes

Beer Trader

Might it be an "alternate brand", to help with cash flow while the taproom is down? How much capacity does their Redmond facility have? Could they successfully run two brands out of that space?

11. sharpski

Beer Trader

I don't know where they are with current capacity, but conceivably yes. Starting a new brand, even one as thin as this, seems like a strange response to the short term closure.

I really dislike the inauthenticity of the brand. I wonder if this is available elsewhere, or if it's a Freddy's house brand they're testing. It's exactly what I'd imagine a grocery marketing team creating beer labels would be like.
    Rolling Fog IPA? From a Bend brewery?
    "Session IPA pairs well with pajamas and muted conference calls."

Reidrover, vurt and beertunes like this.
  12. beertunes

Beer Trader

Yeah, I mostly agree. But, I suspect SM has nowhere near the capacity to truly provide a chain like FM long term. But, a short-term contract (proof of concept, perhaps) while SM isn't getting the taproom sales, and then pass it on to a Full Sail sized brewery? I could see that.

Reidrover, vurt and sharpski like this.
  13. Reidrover

Saw it again at two more Freddys..seems like its a Freddy house brand..all three are not that bad.
    For a supermarket beer

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  14. sharpski

Beer Trader

No response from SM, but it's not hard to run into brewers here. Next time I see Jeff or one of the other guys, I'll ask 'em.

15. Reidrover

TO me looking at the abv..ibus they appear to be rebadging of three of SMs beers.

sharpski likes this.
  16. Reidrover

Sorry guys but i seem to be fixated on this!
    I wonder why Fred meyer would do a made up company why not just Fred Meyer IPA etc.
    Its not like that is a bad name here in Orygun?

beertunes likes this.
  17. beertunes

Beer Trader

Well, and I know nothing (well, not much) about the grocery industry, maybe it has something to do with Kroger policies? Some FM house brands have the Kroger name in small print, in an obscure corner of the packaging. Yet, the Kroger name is blatantly splashed over other items. Shrug. Next time I see my friend Karen, I'll ask her thoughts. She spent many years at corporate level in that industry.

18. Reidrover

Yeah i guess they are hoping it takes of and spreads to the whole Kroger empire..this the made up name.
    BUt that would be WAY too much for SM!

beertunes likes this.
  19. beertunes

Beer Trader

Completely agree, thus my "proof of concept" comment. Maybe Kroger is test driving similar things across their various brands? I, certainly, dunno.

Will buy some, just for science mind y'all, if it shows up across the street.

20. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (398) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Fred Meyer has had their own "Brewery" beer for awhile now. It used to be called Fire Station Brewing or something like that. I believe Portland Brewing brewed it for them. Haven't paid any attention to it, so not sure if they still have that also or Way Out West has replaced it.

21. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (398) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

22. Reidrover

23. zackbarnett

zackbarnett Initiate (105) Aug 17, 2017 Oregon

You guys are right. It's a Kroger deal.

If you do a who is lookup on their domain, it eventually leads you to
    wineryexchange.com which takes you to WX Brands, http://www.wxbrands.com a company that "develops exclusive brands of wine, beer and spirits for retailers around the world."

Big K is listed among their clients.

24. Reidrover

Good work.
    If its all of the Kroger empire Silver Moon will have its work cut out!

25. sharpski

Beer Trader

Interesting. So it would seem WX Brands acted as a broker*, matching a client with a desire for a house brand beer and a brewery with excess capacity. No response from my SM contact and I haven't seen Jeff yet, but when I asked the WF beer guy about the brand, he said "That's Silver Moon, right?"

*Reminds me of the Sound Brewing/Mortal Kombat X beers

vurt and beertunes like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.