WC IPAs in NoVA

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by mblackie, Aug 14, 2020.

1. mblackie

mblackie Initiate (86) Sep 19, 2010 California

I recently relocated to Northern VA and was looking for some insight on any breweries producing solid WC IPAs. I had been in SD the last few years and there was (understandably) an abundance of riches in that department. I know Ocelot used to make great WC style IPAs, but it looks like they've gone heavy in the haze direction. If no local breweries are putting them out, any solid reliable options available at bottle shops?

2. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Ocelot American IPAs may be the closest you are going to get to a west coast ipa. Not much of those floating around when everyone wants haze.

Take a look on untapped and digital pour apps for places.

Where are you located?

3. mblackie

I'm in Alexandria.

I figured it'd be a bit tougher to find. I get the demand for haze, but I personally prefer the WC style when it's well done.

4. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,353) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'd also add that Ocelot does make their IPAs with House Yeast I sometimes which is their WCIPA yeast (Chico, I'd guess).

I think breweries do one off WCIPAs but I don't know how pure they are. Like Adriot Theory has this out right now at The Brew Shop. I think you, unfortunately, will have to dig through descriptions since it's not really anyone's forte at the moment.

5. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Port City probably has a couple west cost ipas and I'm pretty confident that DC Brau has some as well although it's a bit of a hike.

Sheppard likes this.
  6. mblackie

Appreciate the recs - Port City is real close and I remember it being a solid option last time I was living out here. I really got burned out on the hazy stuff and it was an abundance of riches out west with clear IPAs. I'll do some trial and error around here and see what I come up with.

lateralusbeer and Slack like this.
  7. srw

srw Zealot (598) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Port City is a good chocie for non hazy IPAs. I'd also recommend Fair Winds Howling Gale IPA, which should be easy to find in Alexandria.
    Lost dog cafe by the braddock metro has a good selection of most styles, and the total wine should have lots as well.

Sheppard and Slack like this.
  8. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely look out for IPAs from Fair Winds. I've not had a lot from them but their IPAs tend to be more WC than haze. 'Howling Gale' mentioned above is really good. I've heard good things about 'Dank & Stormy' and they just released 'Putting the Band Back Together' which is a tribute / inspiration of Orange Whip from the now closed Mad Fox Brewpub.

Slack likes this.
  9. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (11) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

I've pretty much stopped buying local IPAs because they are mostly soft and hazy. DC Brau has some that are close to WC in addition to others mentioned.

Your assessment on Ocelot is accurate, everything I've had from them in the past few years (sine they changed head brewers) has been on the soft hazy side and most have oats in the malt bill now, really disappointing as they had some solid beers at one time. I didn't try the recent batch of Home, which is/was my favorite of theirs.

mblackie likes this.
  10. mblackie

It's really a shame this region seems to have completely abandoned the WC style. I'm hoping it makes a comeback out here. I feel like there's an opportunity to exploit if a local brewery can start pumping out them out regularly.

Definitely had find memories of Home as well.

11. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

It isn't NOVA but Triple Crossing - who imo makes some the best ipas in VA - has made two West Coast IPA's in the last month-ish. A DIPA and a WC version of one of their staple ipas.

12. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (11) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Can you buy them in NOVA aside from paying to have them shipped?

13. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

No, shipping or brewery only.
    I did say "not NOVA" to be fair. Just merely mentioning the entire region has not totally abandoned wc beers.

14. mblackie

Yeah I did see they released that WC clever girl, but I wasn't settled yet so couldn't get them shipped up. Good to know there's still hope - I'll keep my eyes out for next time they release one for shipping.

15. mblackie

Dominion in Falls Church frequently has Triple Crossing on tap for crowler fills. Haven't seen a WC style though since I've been looking. I'd imagine other places would have it as well, but no distro of cans.

16. TomCat11

Trader

Precarious out of Williamsburg released a WC last week called "You Look Familiar". A quick look on Untappd shows Kettle's & Grains in Leesburg have it so I'm guessing it can be found elsewhere up there too.

Look for Champion - Fruitbasket too. I know it's distributed in NOVA. The past few years have been disappointing but this year's was brought back to it's former glory.

17. mblackie

I completely forgot about Champion. That was my go to spot when I lived down in Charlottesville. Thanks for the reminder and the other recs!

TomCat11 likes this.
  18. TomCat11

Trader

Champion is one of the few breweries that has not welcomed the hazies. They have stuck true to their IPAs. Even the few they have attempted to brew hazy have stayed more WC.

mblackie likes this.
  19. mblackie

Not a local brewery, but I saw Dominion posted that they got El Segundo Broken Skull IPA in stock today. They make almost exclusively WC IPAs and they make anything from very solid to great ones. Worth checking out if you're seeking a clear IPA.

Slack likes this.
  20. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I got cans of the DIPA (Ground Cover) and a pale ale they did (North Park). Both were great examples of west coast styles. Clear, piney, a little bitter and dry. Really missed beers like that lately.

dirtylou and montman like this.