1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

We Need Your Support Now

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,667) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

We need your support now.

For more than two decades the heart of our active community has been you: Hundreds of thousands of passionate enthusiasts and professionals who are dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer. Together we've made BeerAdvocate a strong voice for beer consumers, a champion of brewers and breweries, a reporter of trends, and a defender of tradition.

Help us to continue our mission by joining our Respect Beer Society. For the price of just a few beers, you can upgrade your account and enjoy more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Plus, your support helps us host this website, develop apps and new functionality, and continue to grow our community on and offline.

Speaking of apps, Beers by BeerAdvocate is launching in April. Take it for a test drive and help us beta test it before public release by becoming a Society member today. Learn more: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...for-reviewing-beers-to-debut-in-april.609226/

And if everyone reading this joined the Society now, we'd be able to do so much more.

As always, thanks for your support.

Todd (and the entire team)

2. byronic

byronic Champion (846) Nov 8, 2013 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

What's with the constant spam? BA sends this by email, I unsubscribed, so then BA sends it as a direct message. The whole time it's a forum message. There's no reason to bombard members with this kind of messaging in triplicate.

3. Todd

Staff

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we do need your help.

TrojanRB and TheIPAHunter like this.
  4. npolachek

npolachek Defender (608) Jul 13, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

@byronic - I felt the same way. At first I ignored the emails, but then I thought about how valuable Beeradvocate is to me in terms of helping me find new beers to try and logging what I've tasted so far. I then started to think about the costs to run the site and keep all the techonology running smoothly and decided to "upgrade" after free-riding for nearly 6 months. I know its annoying to get solicitations, but I really hope you recognize the value of the website and throw in a couple beers equivalent (eg $20) for Todd and his team who clearly add tremendous value. I usually would just delete the emails, but in this case they actually worked and got me to step up.

5. Todd

Staff

The value extends well beyond us. Without our members, BeerAdvocate wouldn't be the site and community it is today. And if a fraction of our users joined the Society right now we could help secure our future growth and do a hell of a lot more.

Thanks for your support.

6. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,700) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm assuming if we were already Premium members we are just rolled into society members?

Victory_Sabre1973 and GreenBayBA like this.
  7. Todd

Staff

Correct. You're tagged as a Society member now and the forum has been renamed. Look for an update tomorrow.

8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,664) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Look forward to testing the app, happy with the site on my phone, but change can be good. Plus...if it runs good on my piece of shit phone then things are looking good :slight_smile:.

9. JLaw55

JLaw55 Meyvn (1,308) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri
    Society

I must say, I am ashamed it took me this long to pony up a Jackson and become a member. I kept saying I'd get around to it but just always failed to do so. That ends today.

I have frequented this community for a few years now and when you stop to think about it the value Todd, Jason, and the entire Beer Advocate team have supplied here is exponentially worth more than a measly $20. The sheer amount of knowledge, community, and passion held in this site is invaluable. From learning everything you could ever want to know about beer, to storing all my beers, finding new beers, keeping up to date on beer news/releases, sharing our enjoyment of beer in the forums, and supporting a team of passionate and independent individuals that have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into making something great; is alone worth the dough. And then to find out there are a dozen added perks like extended stats, discounts, and beta testing; I am there.

Thanks again Todd, Jason, and the entire team. I for one hope many others take a moment to think about that email they received and put a small portion of their beer funds toward supporting a community that they enjoy being part of.

10. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,200) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I am pumped about the app ready to try it out!!

GreenBayBA, brutalfarce and Todd like this.
  11. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Aspirant (288) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

@Todd was the beta trial if you signed up yesterday only?

12. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (4,533) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Just noticed the tag change this morning. I'm looking forward to see what "Society" brings to the beer bar...

GreenBayBA, Dragginballs76 and Todd like this.
  13. Todd

Staff

Nope. You can do it now. Beta starts very soon and we'll be alerting all Society members when it happens.

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,439) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

It's going to take a lot for the app to beat the ease of use of the website on my mobile. :wink:

15. AndrewKiser

AndrewKiser Initiate (47) Jun 8, 2016 Massachusetts

I’ve worked both systems and programming. This is a cut edge and I would love to help you do the systems challenge

GreenBayBA likes this.
  16. ty_in_ND

ty_in_ND Aspirant (296) Dec 11, 2013 North Dakota
    Society

I've used BA for some time now, but when I saw the chance to beta test the app, I had to break out the wallet! Can't wait to give it a test spin!!

GreenBayBA and Todd like this.
  17. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,440) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

A no brainer for two bucks a month.

18. Todd

Staff

Thanks for the offer. In the meantime, consider becoming a Society member and do some beta testing.
    Thanks for the support!

GreenBayBA and JamFuel like this.
  19. rclangk

rclangk Initiate (183) Jan 5, 2015 West Virginia

I would be more inclined to join the Respect Beer Society if I could do it without being auto-renewed automatically. I would prefer an annual reminder to renew.
    Thank you.

20. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (573) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You can also just join by month, and while that's also on auto-renew, if you ever forget to cancel before a renewal you'll only be out a couple bucks rather than the full year's fee.

21. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I just purchased today, I’ve been a member since 2014, I haven’t really contributed much and kept to myself because I was new to the craft beer world but thanks to beer advocate and all those who contributed....it helped me become a beer manager for two stores and soon I’ll be trained to manage an entire store by myself. More money, more time with family and more time to contribute to this amazing site. I’ll continue to pay the $1.99 a month so they get more money in the long haul and I will be recommending this site to every beer enthusiast that comes into my beer store.

22. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,664) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah I paid here because it finally dawned on me
    • How much flippin time I spend on this site.
    • All the information and resources I have gleaned from the homebrew forums.
    • Almost every beer I purchase I have vetted thru here.
    • Realized that shit someone has to pay for these servers, san, network bandwidth...
    This site saves me $20 a year in not buying bad beer alone
    On a side note just now wondering why this site isn't configured as my homepage on my home computer....

23. Todd

Staff

That's awesome. And thanks for your support!

JLaw55, GreenBayBA and Bruinsfan87 like this.
  24. Todd

Staff

Thanks for your support and for finally making BA your homepage. :wink:

donspublic and GreenBayBA like this.
  25. Todd

Staff

Big THANKS to everyone who's signed up so far. We started our monthly goal just last week, but we've made some solid progress and truly appreciate your support. Cheers!

26. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (926) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

The notifications are getting to be a bit much. I deleted one this morning. Just came back and another one is in my inbox.

DrumKid003 likes this.
  27. Todd

Staff

Sorry for the inconvenience. We're just trying to rally support so we can continue to thrive.

28. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,650) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Finally signed up. I have used this sight a ton over the last decade plus and learned a lot. The enhanced user stats alone are more than worth the price of admission.

Thanks to all who make this stellar sight possible!

29. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (824) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

For as long as I have an income I will be a member of this society! Cheers to BA and its value-added.

Squire, Todd, Bruinsfan87 and 4 others like this.
  30. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (806) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

One thing that might be worth considering is a tiered membership, much like brewery societies. While the first initial tier should very approachable, like the current society, some of the long time supporters might be willing to kick in a little more. You could throw in few more perks and maybe tie it to some level of site contribution, but the real benefit is to allow us to help maintain a consumer voice that the industry pays attention to and most importantly, that the industry does not own.

A bit of a non-sequitur, but somewhat relevant, I still remember using this site in the 1990's to put together my beer menu for what would be considered today an open cellar party. BA always had the details I needed, such as ABV, style and brewery details that were not as readily available as they are today. This site helped me put together a detailed beer menu for my guests. A long time ago, but an early fond memory of using this site. I've been a support ever since.

31. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,163) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I am very pleased to upgrade my membership - it is long overdue. I joined BeerAdvocate back in 2001, and while much has changed since then, the quality of beeradvocate.com has been consistently high-quality and informative. As always, I am deeply impressed by the work of the brothers.

JLaw55, Bitterbill, Squire and 2 others like this.
  32. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,145) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I would be willing to kick in more for a Gold or Platinum membership but don't expect any more perks because the site already offers more features than I can use. Just want to help keep things going . . . well, for as long as I keep going anyway.

33. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,991) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

i signed up last fall for the following reasons:
    • I use the site to record my tasting notes
    • I don’t want to drink bad beer anymore. I am not after quantity, I am after quality. There is a lot of beer out there. Just because it is a craft/ microbrewery, it doesn’t mean that it is good. I crowd source the opinions of the BA members to seek out new, different, higher rated quality beers. BA has been an invaluable tool in finding new beers to taste and places to go
    • I religiously post every beer in drink on BSA. this site is my go to source. The added stats help me refine my searches
    This site is good and by supporting it I can help make it better. It selfishly serves my own needs in my quest for drinking my next better beer, it saves me time in needlessly pursuing inferior beers and saves me money by focusing on quality beers.

donspublic, Squire and Todd like this.