Weathered Souls - Black Is Beautiful Initiave

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Pinz412, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (191) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

From the Weathered Souls website:

"The Black is Beautiful Initiative is to bring a collaborative effort amongst the brewing community and its customers, in an attempt to bring awareness to the injustices that many people of color face daily. Our mission is to bridge the gap around for ages and provide a platform to show that the brewing community is an inclusive place for everyone of any color. We are asking for all breweries and brewers far and wide to raise a glass with us in unison and participate in this collaboration."

There is a longer description and more information at the link below.

https://blackisbeautiful.beer

It's great to see so many breweries across the country have already signed up to be a part of this. Can't wait to try this imperial stout.

2. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Savant (989) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Awesome!
    Looking forward to the Atlanta area breweries iterations. Especially after so charges have already been filed against some Atlanta police officers for excessive force on college students during the protests.

#BLM.

hottenot, beermeplz, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  3. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Here's more from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kennyg...mpaign-shows-racial-solidarity-in-craft-beer/

4. maxpower

maxpower Poo-Bah (1,685) Jan 26, 2002 Missouri
    Society

5. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,688) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Im already asking some of my local breweries if they will be participating. Good cause, my favorite style. Hell yea!

hottenot and Pinz412 like this.
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Heads up: Marcus from Weathered Souls will be doing an AMA on BA next week.

7. JG__

JG__ Initiate (62) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

He was on John Holl’s Drink Beer Think Beer podcast this week. Very good interview, I’d recommend a listen.

hottenot, sulldaddy and Pinz412 like this.
  8. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (562) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Brewery

Currently working on my tweaks to the recipe so we can brew our version in the next week or two. Very excited to be a part of this project. As a black brewer, I can tell you the need for visibility for BIPOC in the industry is huge, not to mention the larger issues of equality and justice in our communities.

9. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (191) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

There are a number of breweries in Pittsburgh that have already officially signed up, and I think a few more ironing out the details before officially announcing. One of the awesome things I've seen is that a local brewery supplier is giving away some of the malts needed to brew Black Is Beautiful to the participating breweries for free. I've never had any Weathered Souls beers, and I'm excited to try this recipe.

hottenot likes this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

What is "BIPOC"?

11. afrokaze

Brewery

It means Black, Indigenous, People of Color.

12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ah OK, never seen the expanded acronym thanks for filling me in.

And yes please to more.diversity on the production side of the industry. Diversity is.the engine of innovation and the most sure fire cure for monotony.

Where do you brew? I haven't heard anything from any ca breweries about this beer yet

hottenot and afrokaze like this.
  13. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,688) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

you can search by CA breweries participating on the website.

quick scroll lists 58 in CA, including Horus, Alesmith and Monkish.

14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Cool thanks for pointing that out, some real solid brewers represented on that list. Hopefully we will see some up my way from one of the breweries that distributes here

hottenot and sulldaddy like this.
  15. afrokaze

Brewery

I'm at Breakside in Portland, Oregon. I need to update my profile on here some day. There are definitely plenty of CA breweries listed as participating on the Black is Beautiful site - https://blackisbeautiful.beer/

16. hottenot

hottenot Disciple (349) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Deactivated

Good beer knows no boundaries!
    Cheers
    My brother