Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by scottakelly, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Finally showing up here in Ohio. I won't chime in yet since I've only had one and very chilled from the bottle. Call this crazy, but I plan on building up a yeast starter from the dregs starting Saturday - I'll chime in more later.

#121 scottakelly, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,492) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

I bought a 6er today for $10.99. They are chilling now and will be drank during the Hawks and Cubs game tonight.

I've always loved beers from this brewery so I'm looking forward to this one!

3. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

I bought a single and enjoyed it. I do like their Hefeweissbier and Vitus more though.

Vitus is fucking delicous.

Silke_Neryn and keithmurray like this.
  4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,854) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Where the heck did you find that bargain? It's 4 bucks more in Lake County.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the Draft Magazine article:

“At 5.6% strength, its gets compelling character not from leftover yeast—in fact the beer is centrifuged to a precise degree,…”

Feel free to swirl to obtain more sediment but there is little to no yeast in that beer since it was centrifuged.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. Redrover

Society

Sal's Beverage World in Elmhurst. Looked again at my receipt it was $11.99 the Lugunitas Aunt Sally was $10.99.. Still a deal!

steveh likes this.
  7. scottakelly

I usually use WY2124 for my lagers anyway, just intrigued by using a yeast directly cultivated from Weihenstephan vs one that has potentially drifted over the years.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you have the opinion that WY2124 has drifted? I also use 2124 for most of my lagers and I would be willing to bet that this yeast strain is very stable to a specific culture time (i.e., when Wyeast obtained the W-34/70 yeast strain). I would also think that Weihenstephaner would propagate their W-34/70 from their yeast bank from a specified time. I doubt that you or I could obtain any information on the difference in yeast bank time. The other considerations would be:
    • Is there much difference between the 2124 yeast strain and the Weihenstephaner W-34/70 strain used at their brewery?
    • Did they indeed use Weihenstephaner W-34/70 to brew 1516?
    Cheers!

9. Redrover

Society

I enjoyed one of these last night. Very solid, I'm going to pick-up some more before it disappears.

10. scottakelly

I've had a couple of these now and prefer it poured off the yeast and served closer to room temperature. There is a slight rough bitterness that I would attribute to the hop use but I imagine is the astringent flavor mentioned by others. The malt heft seems subdued at normal temperatures but seems appropriate closer to room temperature. Overall, I enjoy this beer but don't rank it up with the rest of Weihenstephaner's portfolio.

11. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Too much shit to read through, but as someone who loves big, chewy beers and only drinks lighter stuff when forced, I found this beer to be wonderful. Bready as hell for such a light body, easy to drink, crisp, and filling. Probably the best lagered beer I've has in quite a while.

foundersfan1 and Tucquan like this.
  12. SkipZ

SkipZ Initiate (87) Jul 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

I agree with most of your statement. I think people are trying to find complexities in this offering that just aren't there and should just enjoy it for what it is.

Groenebeor likes this.
  13. Rutgers13

Rutgers13 Initiate (41) Nov 12, 2013 New Jersey

My take away from this thread is that some of you are paying way too much for your beer. I bought a sixer of this last week for $9.59. Can't believe some mentioned it costing 12 or 13 dollars. A case is $34.99 here.

14. scottakelly

Thought I would give an update on my attempt to culture the dregs from 1516. It was a fail. There appears to be sufficient yeast in the bottle to culture, and I poured in 5 bottles worth of dregs over four days. My guess would be the yeast is not viable because of pasteurization. Oh well, I'm only out about 75 cents in grain for my starter.

foundersfan1 and steveh like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

I recently bought a case (Pennsylvania) and it was 55 bucks including tax.

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet

16. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

Sorry I missed you Jack...full disclosure our wholesale cost is $40.95...I can't believe the disparity between us and New Jersey

foundersfan1 and JackHorzempa like this.
  17. Groenebeor

Groenebeor Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2009 California

I pay about what Jack does for Weihenstephan here in the cheapest city to live in the country (Wichita).

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Joe, nobody had a gun to my head when I bought that case.

I will admit that when Iris told me the price I did say out loud: Whoa!!:flushed:

Ah, you only live once so let's all have a good time and drink some good beer!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

19. Groenebeor

Groenebeor Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2009 California

They didn't have any of this on tap anymore when I got to Kansas City :slight_frown:

20. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,343) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

yes I want to try this .should be good.

21. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (432) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Having one now. Two thumbs up.

22. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (165) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

This beer is awesome i had it on draft at the Student Prince in Springfield Mass. in a special Weihenstephan dimpled stein, its a great lower abv compliment to the maibocks on tap now

scottakelly likes this.
  23. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I want to try this but it hasn't made it to LA Crosse, at least not as of last week. Sucks for me.

24. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,393) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

A couple places mentioned on the Total Beverage Solution beer finder. Although one looks to be a restaurant.

25. Grindelvasdrum

Grindelvasdrum Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Kentucky

Happy reinheitsgebot 500th anniversary!

foundersfan1 likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

27. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

For what it's worth, as a huge fan of this style which doesn't receive a ton of love in the US or in Germany, this beer is outstanding. Simply outstanding. A few great versions are being brewed in the states - Urban Chestnut, Southampton, and New Glarus just released a zwickel, which is a kissing cousin - but this beer knocked my socks off. Will definitely be picking up another sixer before it vanishes.

seakayak and Redrover like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

How would you compare and contrast the 1516 beer with New Glarus Zwickel?

Cheers!

P.S. Also feel free to include New Glarus Two Women in the mix if you are so inclined.

nick0417 likes this.
  29. nick0417

The 1516 is definitely more robust on the palate - much breadier, much more substantial mouthfeel, little hop emphasis. NG's Zwickel on the other hand is lighter bodied, a little more lively in terms of carbonation, and has more of floral and lemony notes that I attribute to the hops, not the yeast. Both are excellent, excellent beers - just depends on personal preference and what you're in the mood for. Gun to the head, I think I prefer 1516 just because of how lush and full-bodied it is while remaining super, super drinkable - and that says a lot because NG is my favorite brewery.

Sadly, it's been too long since I've had Two Women, so I can't really speak to how it fits in - though, if pressed, I would say Two Women drinks much cleaner than 1516 or Zwickel, which share a chewy, unfiltered aspect to the finish.

30. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive Initiate (0) May 30, 2012 Florida

Just picked up a single. Weihenstephaner's Hefe is my favorite all time so figured I'd give it a whirl

nick0417 likes this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

Would it be fair to say that for your palate 1516 is more on the malty side of the spectrum and NG Zwickel is a tad more on the hop flavor side of the spectrum?

Malty ------------------------------1516-----------------NG Zwickel------------------------------------------Hop Flavor

Cheers!

nick0417 likes this.
  32. nick0417

Indeed. Just depends what you're looking for in your German lager. Of course I like some of that Noble hop character, but I'm more out for some great malt/yeast character. 1516 delivers on that front.

Like I said though, both really stellar beers. Happily take either at any time.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

Thanks for all your inputs. NG Zwickel is unavailable to me so I have to live my life vicariously through you!

Cheers!

Edit: I discussed my impressions on 1516 a New Beer Sunday thread: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-582.407559/#post-4697030

34. Nin10dude64

Nin10dude64 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2016 California

[​IMG]
    The only way to drink it :wink:

35. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,854) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I hate to be contrary, but as someone who has had this style numerous times in Germany -- and also love Urban Chestnut's Zwickel (when fresh), I really think the 1516 lacks character. Personally, I believe it's the method of removing the sedimentt and Pasteurization of the beer before export that stunted any really good character this beer may have had.

To me, the other offerings Weihenstepahner sends to us are much better beers than the 1516 and I'd choose any of them first. If you haven't tried Korbinian or Vitus I highly suggest you sample them next to the 1516 for comparison.

nick0417 likes this.
  36. Nin10dude64

Nin10dude64 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2016 California

I suck at formatting :v
    [​IMG]

37. nick0417

No worries on being contrary - to each his own, my good man. I've run the gamut of Weihenstepahner's lineup - of course, all wonderful beers, though I think my favorite is their dunkelweizen. For me, 1516 is right up there among their best - but again, personal taste, you know?

steveh likes this.
  38. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,401) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

A little late to the party, but I finally got my hands on some 1516. I won't go too much into detail as several others have described it very well already, but I have to say I really enjoyed it and it was well worth the wait.

[​IMG]

I decanted when pouring, leaving as much yeast in the bottle as I could, but it still had a slight haze to it. Tons of fresh, rich, bready malt in the aroma. I actually got a decent amount of spicy hops in both the aroma and flavor that resulted in a very dry and bitter finish. However, the balance between the malt and hops kept it extremely drinkable.  I will try adding the yeast next time to see how it changes things.

This drinks almost like a cross between a Helles and a Marzen to me, but with a more pronounced hop character than either. I will wait until I have a few more from the 6-pack before writing a review, but the initial impression was excellent!

39. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,662) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Wow, that looks very hazy to me. Looks like the bottles in which I purposely swirled and poured the dregs in. Interesting.

Without dregs...

[​IMG]

With dregs...

[​IMG]

A slightly hoppier Vienna then?

Redrover and Jacobier10 like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

Jacobier10 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.