1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Weird aromas from cold dry hopping?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by joeneugs, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeneugs

joeneugs Initiate (107) Aug 28, 2008 California

I put two IPA's in a couple kegs at serving temperature of 40 F. They smelled pretty good from the hydrometer samples beforehand, but now that their fully carbed, they have a weird rotten melon, raw dough smell that kind of ruins them for me.

One keg had two ounces of Centennial and two ounces of Citra. The other had two ounces of Apollo and two ounces of Centennial. I put them in a sanitized hop sock. Anyone have any experience dry hopping cold? Could this put off weird aromas?

2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (863) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Cold can.. but I've done it for a while and never had any issues.

I think your issues might be the hops used.

Apollo and Citra to me.. can give these odd melon notes.

tkdchampxi likes this.
  3. joeneugs

Yeah, the weird thing is they both had a nice hoppy aroma before kegging and then, even with the 4 ounces of whole hops in each one, the aroma just died and became weird.... I didn't vent the keg at all either.

4. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (736) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Wait...wait some more...awkward phase will end :slight_smile: Did you vent the keg yet? (better late than never)

tkdchampxi likes this.
  5. joeneugs

Should I vent the keg? I thought that would let even more of the aromatics out. I was hoping to hear someone say let it sit for a while. I was thinking of warming it up to room temps for a week or so....good idea?

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (736) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I would do both

7. CBlack85

CBlack85 Defender (665) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina

not sure how long its been since you kegged, but venting at this point may not help. at this point the damage may be done, some of it will also depend on how much head space you had in your keg.

As far as the off aromas go, I have never experienced any of the aromas you mention while dry hopping. My advice would be to give it a little time. I have had beers that I tasted within a few days of kegging that I was disappointed in and after letting them sit for a week or two I have revisited them to find that they were quite good. sometimes beer just needs a little time to mature

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,856) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The last time I homebrewed a Citra IPA I dry hopped with 1.5 ounces of Citra. I bottled the beer and after 2 weeks it was carbonated and I gave the first bottle a try. I did not like that beer at all - the aroma/flavor was too intense and unappealing (at that time). After an additional two weeks in the bottle this IPA was tasty. I am uncertain whether beer in a keg conditions exactly like bottles but I would guess that your kegged beer will improve with time.

I have zero experience with Apollo hops.

Cheers!

9. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,747) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

I would not vent the keg and waste the aromatics personally.

tkdchampxi likes this.
  10. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,034) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I have some experience dry-hopping Citra and Apollo, and I didn't notice what you call rotten melon or raw dough - but I did get some intense grassy, maybe soapy, generally off qualities from the beer that took a while to subside. The beer was bottle carbed within a week, but the strange flavors didn't go away for at least 3 weeks (if not a month). They're drinking fine now.

11. alanforbeer

alanforbeer Initiate (71) Jan 29, 2011 South Carolina

Let it sit for a while. My experience dry-hopping with Citra (I've brewed the Zombie Dust clone a few times) is that the beer doesn't really shape up until >month post packaging. On two separate occasions the beers developed really beautiful, soft mango aromatics after about a month or two, whereas they were a little funky early on.

12. joeneugs

Just a follow up on this one… I ended up bringing this out of the kegerator and letting it warm up to room temperature for about a week. I didn't vent the keg. I put it back in the kegerator and it has slightly improved over the last couple weeks. Definitely drinkable and bordering on what I was looking for, but still not there. It still has a strange thing going on in the aroma (flavor is great) that I can't put my finger on. I'm thinking it must be something else in my process. I have another IPA going now with some super fresh hops ready for the dry hop. I think the hops I used in the last one may have been a little old. Maybe that was the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.