weldless bungs

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hdrider, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdrider

hdrider Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2008 Michigan

I am looking to install bungs on my converted kegs for ball valves and thermometers. Does anyone have experience with the weldless ones that take the silicon O rings. Since the ball valve is at the bottom and subject to the heat from the burner I wondered if the weldless ones work well and how ofeten do you have to replace the O rings. I can Tig weld Bungs on myself, but I thought it would save time and bringing the kegs to work if I can use the weldless ones.
    Thanks

2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (258) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

If done correctly they work fine. I just replaced an 8 gal pot with 2 weldless connectors that i used for about 6 years. They never leaked and I removed/cleaned/reinstalled many times.

IMO if you plan on keeping this pot for a while and you have the ability to weld, why not weld?

3. cwehr13

cwehr13 Aspirant (256) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

I have done it twice, both with out issue. I only have 3 brews out of it so far no leaks.

4. Naugled

Naugled Savant (916) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

The weldless fittings work great on the brew pot. I have gone years without an issue.
    But if I had access to a Tig I'd weld mine in a heartbeat

5. Idrankitall

Idrankitall Initiate (153) Aug 2, 2013 California
    Industry

I just put a weldless on my 12 gallon brew kettle. It works flawlessly, the o-rings are designed for high temperatures. That being said, if I owned a TIG welder I would weld it. Either way test with water for leaks before you brew.

6. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (260) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I've done the weldless for years too. No problems. I do wrap the outside with a piece of aluminum foil though for piece of mind.

7. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,202) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

I went weldless on a 15G Aluminium kettle that is blasted by a 32 jet NG burner that is hotter than Hades. No problems after a year+ (except when I moved it by hand and had to re-square everything). The silicon rings are still mint (and the ball valve isn't!) even hen blasted by full flame*.

*Yes, I need to get a heat shield.

8. hdrider

hdrider Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2008 Michigan

Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the weldless. It is a pain in the ass to bring the stuff to work. Dont have a Tig welder at home. Have 2 coverted kegs, working on # 3 then the next project will be a brew stand with pumps and temp control

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.