West Coast IPA Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 23, 2020.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,818) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I’m sorry. But I’m tired of Hazy beer. Good, bad, average, whatever. I miss 2013 and I want a damn West Coast IPA! With PtY in season, it just made me want one more. So can we please have a West Coast IPA only thread? I know that I would love it. Cheers.

2. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

I would like to add that I am sipping on my very first El Segundo Mayberry right now and it is cracking like a firework on the Fourth of July.

JN1, thuey, IceAce and 4 others like this.
  3. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (162) Jun 23, 2013 California

I’m in! West Coast is the Best Coast!

I’m looking at you Fieldwork, Humble Sea, Monkish, Green Cheek and Offshoot!

RaulMondesi likes this.
  4. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Especially Green Cheek! Evan made his money at Noble brewing solid Westy’s, now GC is flooded with the same Hazy’s!

dukeandduke and fegelFatso like this.
  5. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (871) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

The “new” 16oz cans?

RaulMondesi and fegelFatso like this.
  6. dcgunman

Trader

Hey now....I’ve got 3 different cans inside my fridge from Green Cheek that’s west coast. All great.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  7. dcgunman

Trader

Picked up a fresh 4pk of Mayberry cans from Windsor the other day. Clear AF coming out in cans this week. Another great west coast offering from ESBC. Also picked up a couple of 4pks of Yaba Dab’ll Do Ya cans from my recent SFO/STS trip. YDDY was a collab with RiiP’s Ian McCall and Cooperage Brewing’s Tyler Smith. Nothing wrong with the hazy’s. Just west is still the best.

8. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (125) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Green Cheek consistently puts out solid West Coast IPAs. Many of them canned. In fact, they had 3 different WCIPAs on tap just last night.

dukeandduke and RaulMondesi like this.
  9. Doma

Doma Initiate (36) May 19, 2019 California

In my fridge right now: fresh cans of Pupil, a 4pack of Mayberry cans (great batch), another 4pack of Simcoast and the latest release from PP Sidewalk Surfin - think the Swami's on steroids. Don't think I will need any hazy anytime soon.

10. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (317) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Want to show a little love to LBC IPA from Beachwood. Doesn't get the same attention as Amalgamator but it's damn good and love the six pack format.

Amendm, jamesar, dukeandduke and 7 others like this.
  11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Gotta love Pizza Port, walked into Norcal Trader Joe's yesterday...found 8 day old cans of Swami's...made my day. I wish some other West Coast folks could mirror Pizza Port's production/distro patterns as I seem FAR more reliably to find their stuff on shelves fresh, at least Swami's that is.

Txex06, mactrail, Nugganooch and 6 others like this.
  12. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (210) Jun 13, 2006 California

Exactly the same mix in my fridge, add in Surfari (excellent) from Pizzaport and Treevana from Burgeon.

13. OTB

OTB Devotee (473) Sep 2, 2011 California

LBC IPA is one damn fine beer. A great value as well.

Cheers,

fegelFatso likes this.
  14. Doma

Doma Initiate (36) May 19, 2019 California

Funny, I just ran out of both! Surfari is one of the best PP releases imo.

mactrail and Nugganooch like this.
  15. IceAce

IceAce Savant (920) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Industry

El Segundo puts a premium on freshness and it really shows in the trade...nice to see it is publicly appreciated.

jamesar, johnInLA, fegelFatso and 3 others like this.
  16. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (163) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Broken Skull is my SHIT. I stopped drinking hazy ipas about 9 months ago and only order west coast hops around town (unless its cellarmakers hybrids). El Segundo used to distro to the South Bay a couple years ago but I believe they pulled out as I cant find their stuff anywhere anymore. Only SouthGate liquors gets in cans every once in a while. El Segundo is a top 5 brewery for me in Ca.

vinylfiend1 and fegelFatso like this.
  17. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (65) May 7, 2015 California

I’ve been going through a lot of The Pupil recently. Just picked up 2 more 6 packs.

Nugganooch likes this.
  18. pinballplayer

Trader

Anyone seen Pupil in OC?

RaulMondesi likes this.
  19. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (538) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Wish they'd send some Pupil up to the East Bay.

jakecattleco likes this.
  20. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (109) Dec 6, 2014 California

I don't understand why Green Cheek's WC fare is not as good as old Noble stuff.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  21. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (109) Dec 6, 2014 California

Mayberry and Amalgamator are my go tos these days. Surfari is great.

I really like Madewest Pale when fresh.

It has become hard to find really good WC IPAs imo. All the old glories have wilted beyond recognition (Enjoy By, Sculpin, Racer, Union Jack... all but shadows of their former selves).

RaulMondesi, 310gts and fegelFatso like this.
  22. Xul

Xul Crusader (799) May 18, 2008 California

North Park Beer Co's Hop-Fu! is the pinnacle of WC IPA right now. If you have access to it and aren't drinking it, you should reconsider your life choices and rectify your failings posthaste.

23. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Do they do any distro yet?

24. Xul

Xul Crusader (799) May 18, 2008 California

Very limited local distro. You can order online from Bine & Vine if they still have it in stock.

iamthecarlos and fegelFatso like this.
  25. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (884) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Great idea for a thread. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing more "style" threads. Although I could live without the digs on hazy IPAs or breweries that choose not to brew WCIPAs them. This coming ftom a guy that prefers WCIPA to NEIPA. Plenty of great WCIPAs out there. You like them, vote with your wallet, by buying them from the breweries that make them.

#25 johnInLA, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  26. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (463) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Modern Times Max was quietly released in cans during the last release, and everybody is sleeping on it due to DDH Dino and Finally Open. Great WC IPA

27. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (884) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I think part of the sleepiness is they don't call it out as a West Coast IPA. "Pouring golden & slightly hazy with a fluffy white head,", I know that what slowed my trigger finger.

I wish they would call it out as a WCIPA. It might actually bump its sales out of the gate.

28. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (463) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

They addressed this at the Dojo tasting noting that it is unfiltered and they weren't sure how clear it would pour. Agree that the "CYA" language hurt a bit, but hopefully everyone jumps on the next few releases.

Also a WC DIPA in the tanks at the Dojo.

fegelFatso and johnInLA like this.
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,247) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Fall river Hexagenia is great when fresh. And the Lip Ripa is a dime of a tipa when they put it out.

pinballplayer and jakecattleco like this.
  30. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Completely agree on both, especially since Lip Ripa is a Rye TIPA. Widowmaker is solid too when hyper fresh.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  31. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,247) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya widow maker just collapses to fast for me. Its rare to catch it in it's full glory. But man do I love that rye tipa, rye is underutilized in wcipas

jakecattleco likes this.
  32. riko

riko Initiate (115) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I buy more cans of PP (especially Ponto) than anyone else, but it's frustrating how hard it sometimes is to find fresh six-packs around San Diego. I see two- or three-month old six-packs on shelves all the time, even sometimes when they were delivered to the store that week. But this is a problem with a lot packaged IPAs here because there are so many great options now.

As others mentioned, the "pours hazy" description was misleading, but even though it's a great WCIPA, it's priced much higher than other offerings of similar or better quality, and I'm guessing that isn't helping sales either.

jakecattleco likes this.
  33. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Is each PP location unique in what (if) they offer for can off-sale? Curious whether that stock moves faster and more regularly, and is an option... Though you do have a plethora of delicious WCIPAs down there to choose from/compete for sales.

It's quite surprising that their stuff is as fresh (if not fresher) on the shelves in many of my local spots to what you find IYBY where it's crafted. I'm definitely not complaining, and consider myself fortunate!

34. pinballplayer

Trader

Weekend Vibes from Coronado is solid. $12 for a six pack of 16oz cans at TJs and it's always fresh.

ChazMania, fegelFatso and RaulMondesi like this.
  35. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (162) Jun 23, 2013 California

This! I would have bought at least two 4-packs... mostly to show support for them brewing a WCIPA.

36. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Smashing a Port Sidewalk Surfin’ right now. West Side till I die.

37. artstvn

artstvn Initiate (30) May 29, 2019 California
    Trader

Agreed. I prefer GC's WC IPA's and Pils/Lagers over any Hazy. Anyday.

38. DroppinBiscuits

DroppinBiscuits Initiate (38) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm always very jealous when I visit my mother in SD and can get 6pk tallboys of PP Swami and whatever else they have at the corner store for $13. Its unreal. Not to mention their entire vibe is just great and unpretentious. Its a treasure of a place(s). That said, I miss Pickleweed Point.

39. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (233) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Haven't had it as often as I'd like but GC IPAs are decent but nothing amazing.

Usually Beachwood or Riip is more my wheelhouse, occasional HPB (though I feel could be more bitter, but hoppy pils make up for it) or El Segundo.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  40. moosington

moosington Initiate (163) Mar 29, 2009 California

I love that Pizza Port still floods the market with WC. Easy to find fresh, and always at least good, and many much better than good. The recent Green Cheek stuff I've had has been pretty tasty.

mactrail likes this.