West Coast IPA Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 23, 2020.

1. webz

webz Initiate (34) Apr 4, 2018 California

To all the SD heads. BLAH has HPB 4 packs today

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (220) Jun 13, 2006 California

I've been impressed with Pariah's west coasts lately. Catch me Coastin and Back to the Filter both were good. Also, Eppig has a brand new one releasing today called Nightlife that I will certainly buy- their latest Wake Up and Slay was outstanding.

3. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Agreed. Sabro is gross.

Sometimes IPAs are just "meh." But lately most of the IPAs I thought were straight up yucky ended up having Sabro in them.

bret27 and AlmostDeadly777 like this.
  4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,327) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Yep Sabro and Enigma are on my 'no fly list'.

bret27 likes this.
  5. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (335) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Sabro is the new Sorachi Ace.

In other WCIPA news, West Coast is Dead released at Green Cheek this week after one year hiatus.

bret27 and SoCalBeerIdiot like this.
  6. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (118) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Societe "good of the public" IPA canned 7/10 is fantastic. Bubblegum, dank resin nugs. West coast bitter bite upfront. Backend is all green melon rind, peach, and peach rings. Perfect carb and really aromatic. This is how west coast is done!

ChazMania, riko and gregoryG like this.
  7. bcm119

bcm119 Zealot (505) Feb 17, 2001 California

I've been having cases of The Pupil delivered. Expensive but worth it, although it kicks my ass.

In the grocery store beer category, I've been enjoying Hop Valley ipas, particularly the Alphadelic. A little sticky but has a nice nostalgic flavor.

Heretic's Evil Cousin is another regular.

Picked up an assortment of IPAs from New Glory a few weeks back. All their "neutral ale yeast" IPAs are good. Even the milkyshakey Citra NEIPA is good but not for this thread.

I'm heading to the Sierra foothills next week where it will be 95 the whole time. Picking up a few cases of pilsner and hoppy lager at Sudwerk for that.

8. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,485) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

ya ive been on this train too. Just finishing up a pack of Hopaway Beach and it's another nice clean modern west coaster. Ubahdank and Do you even mosaic are still my favorites from them but they definitely know how to work the hops

bcm119 likes this.
  9. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

Is it me or does some of HBP's wcipa's taste and fell like hoppier versions of Timbo Pils. I've had both Hello LA and Neon and I'm feeling that this is the case.

10. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Initiate (62) Sep 9, 2012 California
    Trader

Member IPA? and West Coast IPA is Dead are both outstanding.

Even though West Coast IPA is fresher, I preferred Member. I had Member from the can and had West Coast out of a glass. I may have some issue with said glass as the carbonation died right away. Sadly, I may have to do away with that glass; it was one of my favorite pint glasses. Made sure it’s beer clean but to no avail. Always happens with this same glass. Anyone ever have this issue with an oft-use glass?

ryno09 and OTB like this.
  11. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (225) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I agree. Do You Even Mosaic BROH is a solid beer. Decent price at $10 a 4 pack. Even seeing distro at Total Wine.

[​IMG]

12. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Zombie version, DDH Mosaic, is the best beer for my palate and preferences I've had from NG. I think it'll probably fall off a cliff, but hyper fresh it was out-Fn-standing.

[​IMG]

13. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (570) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Went to Half Moon Bay to harvest some sea urchins. My group and I decided to dine at Half Moon Bay Brewing afterwards. Outdoor tables were distanced quite a ways apart so we decided to take the risk. Had some decent food and beer that exceeded my expectations. Their I'm So Lonesome I Could Cryo was great so I ended up crushing two pours. Would repeat this trip again.

bcm119, RaulMondesi, Brent212 and 3 others like this.
  14. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,905) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Zombie mosaic kicked off my recent New Glory run, along with Dankatronics. Everything I’ve had so far has been great—better than I expected, and enjoyment wise more consistent than some other (more hyped) brewers I’ve had lately. I won’t be sleeping on them any longer.

15. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,211) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Having a Chapman Crafted Welcome To Citra right now. It’s not bad, but $20 for a four pack is a joke (brother Raul bought it). I’d like to support local, but price gauging makes it tough.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

my wife picked up some alphadelic from hop valley recently. Not too shabby and super affordable. I also tried one of their beers that was an ipa with grapefruit and it was surprisingly well done. might have to check out what else hop valley is doing these days

bcm119 likes this.
  17. thuey

thuey Disciple (328) Nov 13, 2015 California

Yeah, when I visited HMB Brewing about 5 years ago I thought it was mediocre at best. But I've since been hearing they got a different brewer and are doing quite good things, including a killer barrel-aged program. I will definitely revisit, but probably in safer times...

grilledsquid likes this.
  18. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (285) Oct 20, 2006 California

Sounds like they gauged it correctly if he was willing to buy it :wink:

j47paco and J-loco like this.
  19. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (925) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

:open_mouth: Holy
    This ^. This is why I don't buy Chapman cans/crowlers/etc. When they first opened their doors I went a couple of times. Growler & crowler prices were higher than most other places. I don't think their beers are worthy of the high $$'s they are asking for. There's much much better beers for less $$'s.

20. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (157) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

21. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Does anyone know the last time Beachwood released Melrose? And have they ever done so in cans? One of my favs from them for sure.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (154) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I remember a while back they released DDH Melrose in cans. Not sure regular Melrose has ever been in cans.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  23. jakecattleco

Society Trader

24. 310gts

310gts Initiate (69) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

Looks like the post says it should. :+1:

jakecattleco likes this.
  25. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (220) Jun 13, 2006 California

I've had 5 or 6 6pks of Permanent Vacay which this beer will now replace and I will have 5-6 6pks of this for the next month......

bret27, ryno09, bring and 2 others like this.
  26. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (135) Jan 11, 2010 California

Their only packaged IPA I don't care for.
    Just drank my last Simcoe to Coast. So good.

A couple under the radar great WCIPAs I had this week: Pariah "Catch Me Coastin" and Duckfoot "Kook Slams". The old Benchmark owner/brewer is brewing at Duckfoot now, and this IPA shows it.

ryno09, ChazMania and ChicagoJ like this.
  27. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Henhouse Kubrick’s Landing is a great Westy banger. And we had a great Lakers win tonight!

bret27 and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  28. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Henhouse might do the best west coast hops in norcal. Haven't tried that one, but I've yet to have a miss with their clear hops

bret27 and RaulMondesi like this.
  29. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Love me some Henhouse, but best WC in Norcal... pretty sure their neighbor with Pliny, Blind Pig and R2H56 begs to differ (as do I).

30. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Row 2 is a Pale Ale :stuck_out_tongue:

31. jakecattleco

Society Trader

He said best West Coast hops in Norcal, at nearly 6% I don't care how its categorized, it belongs in any discussion of that context. :heavymetal:

thuey and Brent212 like this.
  32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

haha that is fair. Russian River has a solid claim to the title. I still buy more henhouse everytime I'm in sonoma than I do russian river though so I don't wonder where my vote actually falls.

33. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Everyone knows Russian River is the king of the castle. Here it’s about exploring what’s new or lesser known stuff.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

hear hear! also, @jakecattleco , when's the last time RR even put out a NEW good IPA???:stuck_out_tongue:

RaulMondesi likes this.
  35. thuey

thuey Disciple (328) Nov 13, 2015 California

Happy Hops?

I mean... if you don't count Pliny 4 Pres

36. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Interestingly, I'm fairly certain Happy Hops (along with Velvet Glow) is a reboot of a brand from a precraft era Santa Rosa brewery. I'm not sure if they made any effort to recreate the recipe with any accuracy or just brought back the brand but they are definitely throwbacks.

Honestly, Blind Pig is definitely a contender for my favorite WC IPA and Pliny is obviously a delicious beer but if we include price/value into the equation then I think HenHouse runs away with it in the head to head

37. 310gts

310gts Initiate (69) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

Might be a little late on this one but This is Strata! from North Park is pretty dang tasty. :+1:

Brent212 likes this.
  38. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (577) Jul 9, 2010 California

RR has had Happy Hops and Dribble Belt on their board for years...they've only recently started bottling them. Pliny 4 Pres seems to be the most recent.

jakecattleco likes this.
  39. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Oh HH definitely gets the nod for pricing, and I love their emphasis on freshness. But when words like "best" are being used, its really hard for me to not tip my cap to RR. #FirstWorldProblems

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  40. da_beer_badboy

da_beer_badboy Initiate (63) Feb 9, 2017 California

Hadn't had it in a while, but just had some fresh Amalgamator and I was reminded how damn good that beer actually is.

thuey, ChicagoJ, 310gts and 2 others like this.