West Coast IPA Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 23, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Did you or anyone else remember their 30th (20th?) anniversary dipa? bombers with the crazy shiny rainbow label? that thing was a real treat

beerdoggie and ChicagoJ like this.
  2. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Pundit (925) Jun 23, 2013 California

I’m starting to feel optimistic to be honest... it seems like many people are requesting WCIPAs again, and it seems like many places are making more of them again.

I hope Balance is restored in the universe.

ChicagoJ, ChazMania and bcm119 like this.
  3. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Pundit (925) Jun 23, 2013 California

It’s gotten better over the past year... I think both Relax and Retreat are solid!

Dansac likes this.
  4. bcm119

bcm119 Savant (1,101) Feb 17, 2001 California
    Society

Not specifically, no. But I've always appreciated AVB for their novel (at the time) blending of biting, grapefruit find hops with supple, borderline English malt flavors. Some of their dipas were so malty they were almost barley wines. But they pulled it off.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  5. beerdoggie

beerdoggie Aspirant (262) Jul 9, 2016 California
    Trader

I'm sad my local Trader Joe's stopped carrying Hop Ottin', that was one of my favorites from 10 years ago, and was always worth a revisit every few months...

ChicagoJ and bcm119 like this.
  6. beermeplz

beermeplz Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 California

This batch of fieldwork pulp free is tasting pretty great..

Ma9573 and ChicagoJ like this.
  7. SoNiC21

SoNiC21 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 California

Hello, LA is just amazing, if you haven’t had it your missing out.

ChicagoJ and UnknownKoger like this.
  8. Dansac

Dansac Pundit (878) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

A four pack of the OG Enjoy By, St Archer Mosaic, Tongue Tickles, or Cafe Racer 15 would easily sell for 25 bucks these days.

ChicagoJ, fegelFatso and jakecattleco like this.
  9. Dansac

Dansac Pundit (878) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I will check Relax, last time I had it it was a resiny, bitter mess with no redeeming qualities other than appearance. So far for affordable haze Madewest simply wrecks the competition pricewise: 9.99 a 4-pack of very solid haze. I liked it better than B West and Alchemist side by side.

Modern Times is second, but so inconsistent I don't bother with them anymore, unless they are on tap. New Belgium is surprisingly solid in this terrain.

For WC, I am having an Amalgamator right now, which is my go-to, but this particular batch is a bit of a letdown (4-14). Dank, in a dry weedy, dull way, but lacking some of the brighter aromatics of it. Not the best batch, but still very good though. Mayberry is also regularly tasty, though boring.

And Madewest Pale when fresh...

beerdoggie and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Grand Pooh-Bah (5,209) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Whatever happened to Beachwood Melrose? That was a beautiful WC IPA.

11. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

They have (had?) it on for crowler fills

RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. Sebowski

Sebowski Zealot (613) Jan 11, 2010 California

I love getting a hand-pull of all their stuff at Toro whenever I am up there, but being owned by Heineken doesn't make me want to go out of the way to give them my money.

UnknownKoger likes this.
  13. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

only 50% though, so you can still give them a little money

bret27 likes this.
  14. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (1,032) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

I do not fully understand the ownership thing between them, but it is my understanding that Heineken purchased 50% of Lagunitas. Some time later Lagunitas purchased a 50% stake in Moonlight. I don't think that necessarily means that Heineken has a stake in Moonlight. I guess there is a lot of grey area there though.

From the release after Lagunitas took stake in Moonlight...
    "The purchases were all funded by Lagunitas and did not require any capital outlay from Heineken"

NWH83 likes this.
  15. moosington

moosington Zealot (543) Mar 29, 2009 California

Yeah, most, if not all brewers play with (or at least should) water profiles/brewing salts for each style. It would be a mistake not to as no single water source is perfect for all the styles many of them are churning out. Building up from reverse osmosis or distilled water is the best move for full control Distilled obviously more so in the homebrew realm.

IceAce and pinballplayer like this.
  16. Sebowski

Since then though Heineken bought out the other 50% of Lagunitas and now has full ownership. So I guess that means they own 50% of Moonlight. For what it is worth, rate beer has Moonlight listed as owned by Heineken.

Don't get me wrong. Heineken is definitely a lesser evil than ABInbev and Miller Coors. Or even Constellation. But like I said. I'm not going out of my way to either give them money or boycott them. I really do love drinking those cask pours as my start at Toro SF. And right now during this new normal I am being very hyper local with my money.

bret27 and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  17. Sebowski

Back on topic....

I am loving this Blazing World revamped recipe! Super West Coast!

ryno09, riko and Brent212 like this.
  18. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (1,032) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

my bad, did not know that!

Sebowski likes this.
  19. OTB

OTB Pooh-Bah (1,779) Sep 2, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

A couple reason's there is a major resurgence of the WCIPA style IMHO. One, revamped hop and grain bill's and ratios's, gone are the dark malty syrupy old school beers of old and Two, I truly believe that we're all getting absolutely burnt out with thick sweet hazy IPA's and are looking for big impactful refreshing flavorful hoppy beers that we can drink a few of, I love me some well made haze but after 16 oz of super aggressively hopped chewy DIPA's I need to switch it up.

Cheers,

20. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Zealot (722) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I enjoyed it...but I preferred the original version. Hard to pass up when I see it fresh though.

jakecattleco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.