West Coast IPA Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (239) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Good thing you made room, Beachwood just released new 4 pack today.

dcgunman likes this.
  2. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (743) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I feel your pain, what a great thread.

Wish West Coast IPAs weren't extinct here on the East Coast. Sooo tired of hazy, low bitterness juice bombs......yawn.

Cheers

3. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (171) Feb 8, 2017 California

I wish El Segundo Brewery would bring back hop tanker that was by far one of the best double ipas I've ever had from them.

micahburns and 310gts like this.
  4. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (335) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Found 2/21 Pupil at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa and it tastes and smells exactly like I remember from circa 2014. What a fantastic WCIPA.

At $12.99 this will be a staple in my fridge for as long as I can find it fresh.

5. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (128) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

I’m currently enjoying the same beer. It’s more bitter than I remember from back in the day, but I’m still enjoying the hell out of it. Really tasty beer. Will purchase again.

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (927) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

I don’t believe I had Alpha Neo.

7. Frosty11161

Trader

Had it last night, you're not missing much. I got another pack of Simcoast instead.

UnknownKoger and dcgunman like this.
  8. dcgunman

Trader

After having my first Pupil can last night I would definitely keep this nice 12oz cans in my fridge. I didn’t have any 12oz cans or bottles till yesterday. It’s nice to finish off the day with a 12oz instead of 16. And my local bbq place has the Roustabout in on draft. I will visit for lunch today. Let’s hope the Pupil cans will be around consistently and fresh. Man these guys should of started canning years ago. I guess it’s never too late. Smog?

9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,331) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Fieldwork's Boss of the Plains is worth noting in this thread. Solid WCIPA, though with less frequent and convenient availability as some others mentioned in this thread.

And I so wish some place in Sac stocks cans of Pupil. If you've seen it, LMK.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,497) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I wish fieldwork would send some cans out into the wild. I always enjoy their wc ipas when we get them on tap up here but we seem to get more of their hazies (which do tend to be the more hybrid style and are often pleasant enough)

fegelFatso likes this.
  11. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,211) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I’m curious on opinions on El Segundo Clear AF and Steve Austin. Was going to give each a go tonight, but they are both only rated in the high 80’s. Grabbed a Mayberry instead. What up, BA’s?

12. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (154) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

Having a Clear AF at the moment. It’s nice. Low bitterness and a light aroma but packs a nice fruity hop flavor profile. It probably would have been more impressive if I didn’t have it right after a RR Happy Hops. That beer was much more bitter and citrusy which hits all the WCIPA characteristics to a T.

I haven’t had Broken Skull recently but as I recall, it’s at about the same level as Clear AF. I’d recommend both.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  13. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (135) Jan 11, 2010 California

Burgeon Keep it Nelson is fanfuckingtastic. In cans too.

Current Alpine Not Nelson is awesome.

And we just need to pin this at the top of this thread: "anything from Amy of the pizza ports is killer"

14. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (135) Jan 11, 2010 California

These ratings affect you that much? Mayberry is a 92 and the others are 88s, so that just seals it for you? ‍♂️

riko likes this.
  15. dcgunman

Trader

Steve Austin’s can in my fridge waiting to be finished for the next fresh batch of cans to be released this month. Clear hasn’t shown up yet. But got fresh Mayberry cans next to Austin. I don’t have any issues with El Segundo IPA’s. I know some here do. Some folks here like Gordon Road stuff. Or 4Boys offerings. To each it’s own. Drink whatever you like and enjoy. It’s all good. :wink:

16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Kukmin IPA from the Booth is excellent fresh. Solid west coast bite but complimented with floral flavors and an almost green tea quality. I'm pretty sure they get around sac and the bay

17. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,211) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I know. I have issues. I also trust in Yelp. I generally believe in BA and Yelp reviews. I’ll still have to try these two though.

Sebowski likes this.
  18. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (622) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

Trust in Untappd. Most data points.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Trust the force, it's the only galactic constant. And west coast ipas have the force in spades

fegelFatso and jakecattleco like this.
  20. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (578) Jul 9, 2010 California

Go in blind. Reject your eyes and ears. Only tastebuds. Trust the hops

21. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (497) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Blind tastings > All rating systems

22. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,886) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Seeing a lot of Cali IPAs here. Am i correct to assume that PNW IPAs are not now similar to West Coast IPAs?
    Oregon , Washington and BC have some great IPAs..some that are even in every dive bar...Boneyard RPM..its a great IPA but i guarantee any down at heal bar in Oregon will have it!

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  23. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

RPM is a great wc ipa. You are just seeing cali heavy because this is essentially a cali only region (don't know if I've ever seen a poster from hawaii post in here) so we mostly have access to cali beers. But fuck ya for oregon and washington west coast goodness

jakecattleco and Reidrover like this.
  24. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (226) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Some West Coast from SLICE. Big Mosaic. Some old school dank. Some modern Mango.

[​IMG]

25. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (107) Apr 27, 2017 California

I picked up a 4 pack of Alpha Neo at Beachwood last night and wow, the neomexicanus hops in it give it a super unique aroma and flavor. I swear I taste coconut. Also grabbed a pack of Citraholic. I gotta say, I think Beachwood does the best west coast style IPAs in the region, and the prices are also great. Two 4 packs for $27 bucks after tax, not bad!

fegelFatso, jamesar, j47paco and 4 others like this.
  26. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Oh there's definitely plenty of IPAs from PacNW that fit here. My favorites include Pallet Jack, Bodhi, and pFriem IPA. While I love Hop Venom and Notorious (the uber dry finish batches), I've never been a big fan of RPM.

If we throw DIPAs into this thread then Sticky Hands would definitely have to be included.

27. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (170) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Im hoping this is a very hilarious joke...

riko and Sebowski like this.
  28. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (221) Jun 13, 2006 California

I think someone mentioned earlier in thread about Alesmith IPA, and I thought "damn i used to love that beer, I'm going to buy some next time I'm out".....then I learned they don't make it anymore and only the Lupped In and Juice Stand, neither of which I enjoyed.
    So I bought Weekend Vibes (Coronado) which is respectable at 11.99 a 6pk.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  29. dcgunman

Trader

Just finishing up my crowler of RiiP Super Cali. Another one of the better west coast ipa’s. I haven’t seen Raider Bob tapped in a long time.

30. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I still have not had a lot of exposure to Riip, but I *did* get to try this at LA IPA Fest. It was pretty great.

dcgunman likes this.
  31. Frosty11161

Trader

Like a baby Beachwood

UnknownKoger likes this.
  32. dcgunman

Trader

Ian McCall, ex head brewer from Beachwood is making his own roots in OC area at RiiP. There’s a lot of great beers coming out of RiiP. Both west coast and hazy.

33. ADfan

ADfan Initiate (36) Nov 28, 2010 California

I need to try that one.
    I was at the tasting room last week and had 2 hazy’s and 2 west coast and I liked the hazy’s more. Don’t remember the names but it wasn’t Super Cali.
    I had one of their brown ales at Brew Kitchen that was outstanding the next day.

34. dcgunman

Trader

Don’t skip on RiiP if you see it on tap. They offer mostly IPA’s. When on tap their stouts are pretty darn tasty as well.

35. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (171) Feb 8, 2017 California

@dcgunman is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with riip, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. Any promotions or advertising done about RiiP is solely by @dcgunman is his opinion only.

36. dcgunman

Trader

True this. Although I hope to get a gig working there part time as a beer taster/tender when I retire in a couple of years. And when’s your next visit to riip/harbor barber @Hype_Train?

Hype_Train likes this.
  37. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,206) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

This. Depending on the batch, this can be in my top three WC(D)IPAs.

38. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Pupil cans located in Bakersfield, tasty AF! Hope they see distro to Sac.

39. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (185) Jun 23, 2013 California

I love Broken Skull... in the words of Steve himself “That’s a good f***ing beer!”

johnInLA likes this.
  40. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I happened to be at ESBC one weekend he was there and bought the entire place a round of it. Got a pic with him, too. Cool dude.

RaulMondesi, 310gts, johnInLA and 7 others like this.