Westbrook Mexican Cake in Myrtle Beach?

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Ohiovania, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

How long does this sit on the shelves? I'll be in Myrtle Beach a week after it's released and was hoping to score a couple bottles. What are my odds?

[Edit: Thread moved to South Atlantic forum from Beer Talk ~Mod]

#1 Ohiovania, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  2. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Zealot (687) Apr 27, 2012 South Carolina

Might be good. Last year it sat here for about a month. But with the hype...who knows

3. DVMin98

DVMin98 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,501) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not long. Best of luck.

4. 1beergeek

1beergeek Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2012 New Mexico

First release last Friday sold out at the brewery in 2 hours. Good luck getting any this year.

5. josmickam

josmickam Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Georgia

What @1beergeek said.. It was sort of implied or just anticipated that they would have plenty of bottles "we'll be bottling for the next couple weeks", but with the 1 case limit they were gone pretty fast. I don't feel as bad for missing the release now. BUT -- that was just for the actual release. I'm sure it depends on how many bottles or cases a store gets, and how many people in your area care/know about it.

6. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Last year in Columbia it sat on the shelves of my local organic grocery store (Earth Fare) for nearly a year. This year there seems to be a huge amount of hype (probably because of the traders dealing in the BA versions), so I'm guessing it won't last long.

7. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

Go read the Mexican Cake reports in the South-Atlantic section. It started hitting the stores today, with 2 bottle limits at several places.

8. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

See the existing thead for more information: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/westbrook-mexican-cake.143915/page-12#post-2458453

It looks like Mexican Cake is showing up in stores now. The allocations that people are quoting (8-9 cases) are more generous than I expected. But that's only if bottle limits are enforced. Despite these promising numbers, I'll be surprised if it lasts more than a couple of days. I, for one, don't expect it to last more than two days once it hits ATL, if that.

9. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

Thanks for the info, everyone. Seems slim but at least I know what to expect.

Cheers!

10. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Last year in Atlanta it didn't last more than 8 hours at any store that received it. Some places, like ours, were out in 20 minutes. I don't expect it to sit anywhere in any market for longer than a day. Good luck on finding one.

11. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Pooh-Bah (1,947) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I went to Westbrook this past Saturday (d'oh! I know...I couldn't make it on Friday, and wouldn't have been able to get there in the hour and a half window or so that they actually 'had' it for sale), and during the tour, I was leaning on one of 9 pallets that they had in the storage room at the time. I was told that was all for distro, a.k.a. they wouldn't sell me one. They did say that Atlanta is supposed to be getting a healthy amount, or in the salesperson's words, 'plenty'. So, one can hope.

12. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Grand Pooh-Bah (3,400) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sold out at the Pig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.